Sign in to follow this  
m16_army

What do you think about the Colorado

20 comments in this topic

40 posts
1,402 battles

It's been a while since i play PVP (you can blame that on operations of the week) 

So i just got the Colorado and, at first I HATE IT. It have a top speed of 18 knots, and that's what kill it.

But then i upgrade the engine, and every thing seems better for some reason.

And that's where i am right now, i don't know if the ship sucks or i haven't got used to her yet. My opinion kind of stuck there.

So, what do you think about her? I think she's a bit underpower compare to other BBs of the same tier.

(My english is still as bad as usual.)

203 posts
11,788 battles

Best tier 7 Battleship Armament in the game on the Worst platform you could ever get.
I love her guns, repair, AA and that's it the rest is just bad to even think about.

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

Back then I actually loved her a lot. That was long before the German battleships got added to the game. Most people usually complain about her speed. I don't think her slow speed is a bad thing. It takes longer to reach hell, that means you deal more damage. Wild dispersion happen every now and then, but then again, still 100 times better than Gneisenau. I'm not sure if Colorado uses the so called American Super Heavy shells, but her AP penetration power is massive.

I think now she might be a little powercreeped a bit by recent additions of Carriers, British weed camper and HE spammers, but I still think she is a fine ship. Just require a better player than before.

8 posts
2,404 battles

Not bad ship, big guns. Only issue will be the speed. Will I love Colorado? Maybe not, I prefer Nagato because got bigger guns. :)

[BRU]
279 posts
2,056 battles

Coming from the SoCal, Wyoming, NY and New Mex, you should be used by now to how slow USN dreadnoughts are. And this would be the last of the slowpokes. :cap_like:

Otherwise the Colorado is a great ship, if you can make the most out of her 16-inch guns, decent AA, good main battery range and great heal. And remember not to go alone unless really necessary.

1,480 posts

Apart from speed, yes great tank.... AA good, secondaries... Meh ... Main guns hit hard if aimed right, but you need to be good at planning.

Ordrazz

317 posts
6,856 battles

Save up those speed signals for the Colorado, you will need them. 

Gnisen to me feels a better ship, though some say different. Colorado just made me angry... But the grind to N.C is well worth it.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,826 posts
4,103 battles

Ive just got the Lolorado and she has all the characteristics of the USNBB's.   Slow, all or nothing armour and needs any mod and captain skill you can use to increase her range.   All in all a good BB that can either be a good gun platform or good AA platform.  Spec it for AA and it will torture similar tier aircraft.  

Comfortable to play but personally the Gneisenau and KGV are better ships.  I wont comment on the IJN line as it doesn't interest me at all. 

315 posts
4,634 battles

I'm about 1/3 of the way through the Colorado grind. Got all the modules but for the B hull. Getting that will improve a number of things, but I think the basic problem with this boat will remain as Flamu outlined in his recent youtube video: the addition of British BB's and corresponding high volume of HE shells into the game makes the Colorado a frustrating ship to play and there is little any player can currently do about it.

It's rare to come under torpedo attack from aircraft or destroyers these days, but you can expect to be set on fire 4-5 times a game at the minimum. Colorado is rather good at dealing with the torps and aircraft, but is highly combustible. It's a fine ship, but it's the wrong ship for the game now. It's a brawling ship which can no longer get into a position to brawl.

rant:

Outside of Wyoming, which remains tremendously fun for the most part, the rest of my American BB's (New York, New Mex., and Colorado)  have all become much less enjoyable to play since the British BB line was introduced. Orion, Iron Duke, Queen Elizabeth can and will set you on fire with every salvo that lands. So you have a choice: spend the game running away from them and land minimal damage, or be burnt down by the 10 minute mark. If you go head-to-head with a like-tier British BB, you will lose. No strategy, no tactics will save you: If they stay angled on to you, their HE will do more damage to you than you can do to them with either AP or HE. In three minutes you will be dead and they won't have lost more than 1/3 health. The outcome is certain.

In my experience the only way to deal with British BB's is to win the game first: I mean, quickly sinking a couple of their cruisers and destroyers giving your side a numerical advantage. Then you can fleet up and outflank them.

/rant

Edited by Rina_Pon
typos

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles
7 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

rant:

Outside of Wyoming, which remains tremendously fun for the most part, the rest of my American BB's (New York, New Mex., and Colorado)  have all become much less enjoyable to play since the British BB line was introduced. Orion, Iron Duke, Queen Elizabeth can and will set you on fire with every salvo that lands. So you have a choice: spend the game running away from them and land minimal damage, or be burnt down by the 10 minute mark. If you go head-to-head with a like-tier British BB, you will lose. No strategy, no tactics will save you: If they stay angled on to you, their HE will do more damage to you than you can do to them with either AP or HE. In three minutes you will be dead and they won't have lost more than 1/3 health. The outcome is certain.

In my experience the only way to deal with British BB's is to win the game first: I mean, quickly sinking a couple of their cruisers and destroyers giving your side a numerical advantage. Then you can fleet up and outflank them.

/rant

This is arguable. Also, if someone spends 3 minutes on me, it is not so bad. If you are taking 1 on 1 against other BBs in USN, then it means you made a mistake, or you are desperate. Even so, I am sure that USN BBs are very capable of taking head on with any other BBs from the same tier. Your full HP for their 1/3rd? Naah not a chance. UK BBs are super effective against cruisers because cruisers cannot bounce HE. Against BB, they are meh. Yes you read that correct, meh, up until very high tier. Are you trying to scare me with HE salvo once each 30 seconds? Dude, I am used to dealing with HE monsters like Myoko, Schors etc. 30 seconds break between HE pounding like a dream for USN BB drivers.

Edited by icy_phoenix

315 posts
4,634 battles
2 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

UK BBs are super effective against cruisers because cruisers cannot bounce HE. Against BB, they are meh. Yes you read that correct, meh, up until very high tier.

Can I take you up on that "bouncing HE" thing? I guess you must be right, but I haven't seen this in my experience. How/when does this happen? Against a US BB, a UK BB seems to be able to smash HE into your superstructure and start fires regardless of angle. And those fires will be started every 30 seconds.

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles
54 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

Can I take you up on that "bouncing HE" thing? I guess you must be right, but I haven't seen this in my experience. How/when does this happen? Against a US BB, a UK BB seems to be able to smash HE into your superstructure and start fires regardless of angle. And those fires will be started every 30 seconds.

This means, cruisers can angle against AP to minimize damage, can't do that against HE shells. And you are worried about setting on fire every 30 seconds. When I play Konigsberg or Nurnberg I set battleships on fire every 10-15 seconds. Just to put the number up for a better perspective. If you time your heals right, at mid teir it is not really much of a problem. HE spamming is nothing new in the game. A fire is a fire, doesn't matter who set it on you, it deals the same amount of damage. And most people complain because of high HE alpha that is comparable to AP normal pen, and mid tier UK BBs don't have that. For mid tiers, cruisers evidently does more damage in terms of alpha given the same span of time. Probably even more. If you can handle that, I dont see why you are complaining about handing BB HE spam. Understandable for something like Conqueror, but not for Queen Elizabeth.

If I were a UK BB captain, spamming on BBs who have heal would be my last action, I would spam HE on cruiers. When you see a UK BB spamming HE on other BBs at mid tier when there are other better targets, you instantly know thats a bad player. Are you ranting against bad players? That would be ... strange.

Edited by icy_phoenix

[LBAS]
163 posts
3,921 battles

I love the Colorado. It's slow as hell. Usually, the slowest ship on the map. But it's got a pretty decent dispersion at even maximum range. It hits like a freight train and to me, is just great fun to play.

The trick is to work out minutes in advance, where you need to be. Then make your way there. 

Also, don't even bother chasing anything. You just get kited and burnt down.

Sign in to follow this