Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
unknownaussie

Smoke Detection Changed No point of RN cruisers

18 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
153 posts
3,490 battles

what is the point of grinding up the RN cruiser line now if you get detected when firing in smoke and deleted as soon as your spotted the whole reason of that line is to sit in your smoke and ruin peoples day 

Beta Tester
153 posts
3,490 battles

i agree its good that everyone else wont beable to camp in smoke but for example neptune and Minotaur if u get spotted everyone else can see you and whats the first thing everyones going to focus on unless you want minotaurs and neptunes hiding behind islands and never leaving cover how else are you supposed to play an armor-less line that relies on concealment 

1,386 posts
8,224 battles

It sounds almost like high tier RN CL is no brainer... It is probably the most demanding CA/CL line so far. You will have to learn bit by bit every detail of the map, do a careful balancing between close range for gunnery effectiveness and survival, learn how to use your concealment, learn how torpedo works, precisely manage the rusty rudder to avoid torpedoes, monitor consumables, check for radar ship and remember their range, avoid blind shooting, learn how to deal with angled ship, learn to use rudder carefully for minimum damage, and how to get used to that ballistics.

The screenshot shows Edinburgh with 5.5km detection range, and in a prev QA WG said it was determined by caliber and base concealment. So probably 5.4km for Minotaur, that isn't too bad, just one more thing to monitor, and even if you fail to do that it's just a very rare surprise, but if you fail to monitor radar ships it is almost always doom. Neptune would probably get a bad one, her concealment is real bad...

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,460 battles

Here's how I see the situation:

Scenario 1

You've setup your smoke with enemy ships apparently no closer than 8km. However, there's actually an invisible Destroyer 4km from your cloud! What happens next...

0.6.10: You are completely unaware of the imminent wall of torpedoes about to violate your peaceful sanctuary.

0.6.11: Upon firing, you become spotted and immediately realise that someone is dangerously close. Activate Hydro! (fool, you should've already had it running)

Being spotted is of course bad, but at the same time it does also act something like an early warning system. It's not like RN Cruisers are really invisible when firing anyway - the enemy knows you are there even if they can't technically lock on.

Scenario 2

Emergency! You've desperately setup your smoke cloud well aware that ships are within 5km. What happens next...

0.6.10: You hope that nobody has Hydro nor gets close enough to proximity spot you. Fire the guns!

0.6.11: Firing the guns will remove your smoke advantage, but firing torpedoes will still allow you to remain hidden.

With Smoke, Hydro, and torpedoes, RN Cruisers have plenty of tools to be successful under the new smoke mechanics.

Edited by Unraveler

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles
21 minutes ago, Unraveler said:

Here's how I see the situation:

Scenario 1

You've setup your smoke with enemy ships apparently no closer than 8km. However, there's actually an invisible Destroyer 4km from your cloud! What happens next...

0.6.10: You are completely unaware of the imminent wall of torpedoes about to violate your peaceful sanctuary.

0.6.11: Upon firing, you become spotted and immediately realise that someone is dangerously close. Activate Hydro! (fool, you should've already had it running)

Being spotted is of course bad, but at the same time it does also act something like an early warning system. It's not like RN Cruisers are really invisible when firing anyway - the enemy knows you are there even if they can't technically lock on.

Scenario 2

Emergency! You've desperately setup your smoke cloud well aware that ships are within 5km. What happens next...

0.6.10: You hope that nobody has Hydro nor gets close enough to proximity spot you. Fire the guns!

0.6.11: Firing the guns will remove your smoke advantage, but firing torpedoes will still allow you to remain hidden.

With Smoke, Hydro, and torpedoes, RN Cruisers have plenty of tools to be successful under the new smoke mechanics.

I don't think these are correct scenarios. You would be already dead, RN CL smoke doesn't work for *emergency* cases. Because, if enemy is at 5 km from you when you start to smoke, that means they have been seeing you for the last 4 km you traveled. Good luck.

783 posts
4,810 battles

Besides all that. Smoke changes have you being detected in your RN cruiser when the opponent ship is assuredly <6km away from you(~4-5km). Main thing in these numbers being, as long as you're not overextended, only reasonable thing to spot you is a DD. And if a DD does spot you, the moment you go out of smoke, there's a DD that's 4-5km away from you ripe for the picking with your RN CL AP.

Honestly speaking, the smoke changes "probably" won't affect RN CL play as much as it would affect people actually being more confident in charging smokes, which imo is a good thing.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,460 battles
18 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

I don't think these are correct scenarios. You would be already dead, RN CL smoke doesn't work for *emergency* cases. Because, if enemy is at 5 km from you when you start to smoke, that means they have been seeing you for the last 4 km you traveled. Good luck.

Most likely, but assume you've just come around an island or something. In any case, having ships that close to your cloud is already a very bad situation. 0.6.11 isn't going to suddenly "change" it into a bad situation.

All this would be much simpler if they implemented smoke to work the same way camouflage does - apply a nice buff to concealment and dispersion - instead of being a binary invisibility shield.

Edited by Unraveler

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,460 battles

It'll be interesting to see how Hydro (for other ships) will be affected. In 0.6.11 it'll only really be useful for spotting torpedoes or smoke-ships that aren't firing. And of course, if you shoot at your Hydro'd target you yourself will become visible to the smoke-ship.

Could be considered a mild, indirect nerf to the German DDs and Lo Yang.

Beta Tester
40 posts
16 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

It will also encourage people to pick up RADAR for RN CL which is a very rarely used consumable on those ships.

Edit, meant radar, not hydro.

I see a lot of minotaur packing radar. I've switched to radar after having been blindshotted by BBs in smoke and being run down by radar ships while in smoke. 

For clarification, the BBs didn't spot me before I smoke up

Edited by Reinhardt_von_Lohengram

[AMPOL]
Beta Tester
176 posts
6,420 battles

I am so glad to see this change I am almost at the Mini and using smoke to stay alive is so OP especially with the current general cruisers lines being so OP. (please consider this to be sar cas tic I know many BB players will not have realized that)

Now BB players will have to find something else to whine about, which all things considered won't be hard for them, after straight lines and one speed sailing, whining is where they come into their own and it's good to see WG trying to fix BB play as I know the special peeps that play them need more help then 10 other class type players :), (CONGRATS you are correct this is also sar cas tic)

Man this game is going down hill fast, it was once fun to play but now if something is fun others must find it not fun, therefore we stamp it out, after all this is soviet Russia right?   

Sign in to follow this