Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SkyWarrior_109

Lower Tiers - More Fun?

15 comments in this topic

11 posts
1,125 battles

Hello All,

I've just started playing WOWS again recently after a respite of 1.5 years and I ended with having gotten up to Tier 6 with the IJN tree, with Aoba. I've got a few issues about the game I think I'd like to bring to mind that I've noticed, coming back after so long.

1. Battleships are EVERYWHERE, sniping everyone in one shot from huge distances, besides other BBs and DDs (mostly due to their small sizes) I play cruisers a lot and I'm actually starting to think that playing them is a lost cause. Every BB in the match targets me as I am easily citadelled even with angling + not showing broadsides, especially as Furutaka or Aoba which seems to get eaten alive by every BB and even most other cruisers, they know that I am free meat for them as 95% of the time I cannot fire back because they are out of my range or I cannot do any significant damage other than setting him on fire over and over and annoying the crap out of him before I am taken down stupendously easy. DDs, even in their nerfed state, seem the way to go, with their amazing stealth and the ability to fling torps at an unsuspecting BB captain as he doesn't know you're there, and if you don't close past your detection range, he won't.

However, I can't remember if it was always this way because I haven't played the game for so long.

2. DDs appear to have been nerfed to oblivion, with Radar, Hydro, aircraft everywhere, and skills which increase acquisition range, particularly the IJN DDs which rely on their torpedoes to secure kills, and any player worth their salt doesn't sail in straight lines for the time it takes for torpedoes to reach them, and if they do, its often a simple matter to just dodge them. I just laugh in the face of that Shiratsuyu who launched his full salvo of a large amount of torpedoes at my face only to have me turn into them and simply dodge them, or when I'm playing as one, that I launch bunch of well aimed, well predicted torpedoes at a distant battleship and he speeds up or slows down a fraction or simply turns at all and they all miss, or one hits, and after the massive nerfs to torpedoes, doesn't do much damage or cause him to flood.

3. Carrier matchmaking takes FOREVER and aircraft are largely useless now with the buffs to ship AA and the decreased flooding chance, aircraft torpedoes do not do as much damage as ship launched ones, particularly against BBs and they needed that flooding chance to deal some sort of significant damage to a ship.  Strafe is also new and extremely annoying, but does not exist in lower tiers.

Lower tiers seem so much more fun because you aren't punished so damn harshly for one tiny little mistake and the one shot citadels are seemingly less common than in higher tiers with massive calibres. Battleships also have a smaller range and most cruisers can comfortably fight them without too much fear of being instagibbed by one BB that just happened to look at him wrong.

Edited by SkyWarrior_109

460 posts
8,358 battles

1. Yeah there are too many BBs and it's a problem. It's not so much that they're more powerful than before, CA/CL have always been deleted by them, but rather that there are just plain too many of them. Chances are one of them will be looking at you ready to fire if you so much as show yourself. This isn't just a problem for cruisers as BBs themselves can suffer from the overpopulation as well, mostly because being the only bottom tier ship is relatively common, and the bottom tier BBs suffer badly at the hands of higher tier BBs. I saw noZoupForYou suggest a cap on the number of BBs per match which might go some way to making this better, I'd suggest a cap for all classes (with some wriggle room) so we don't end up with the same problem in a different form. Low tiers don't suffer as badly because they don't have to be bottom tier as often/severely, and BB's there are mostly very slow and have worse guns, with a few exceptions, so cruisers can generally keep safe unless they do something silly.

The number of BBs does seem to have increased perhaps because of the perception they are strong, but it could also be because of the number of new battleships over recent times.

2. bingo torpedoes have been nerfed too hard, particularly the IJN ones. I find it harder to hit torpedoes when I play ships with them, and I find fewer torpedoes generally when playing BBs. I wouldn't want to see the return to constant walls of "skill" you used to see, but torpedo boats are harder to play. It has been a bit unfair as the torpedo nerfs didn't affect Russian DDs that much and some of those ships are a bit nuts.

3. There's a lot wrong with CVs. I've found that it's basically too easy for the better CV player to dominate the other (whether it's me or them). Basically it's all about actions per minute (a term from RTS games), if the other player can perform more APM they'll probably steam roll you.  Add to this the premium CVs like the Saipan and Kaga which are both stronger than tech tree CVs at what they do. AA does seem to cause significant issues at the start of a match, but after a while everyone has had some of that AA taken out and things get a bit easier. I'm not a great CV captain, the amount of micro managing to do well and the UI making things harder  is a bit much for me, so I don't really play them outside of scenario mode these days.

I agree lower tiers are generally more fun (which is why I have kept and keep playing the ones I like) I think one of the biggest reasons for me is the difference in attitude of the players there. They aren't as salty about mistakes and generally there is more aggressive play.

381 posts
9,957 battles

Lower tier is more fun because you are more experienced than most newbie who play there so you can just decimate them with ease while they don't know how to punish your mistakes. If you happen to fight against a sealclub division it's just as stressful as high tier.

1,498 posts
3 minutes ago, LunaStinger said:

Lower tier is more fun because you are more experienced than most newbie who play there so you can just decimate them with ease while they don't know how to punish your mistakes. If you happen to fight against a sealclub division it's just as stressful as high tier.

So YOU ARE THE ONE spoiling my clubbing fun, by trying to club me!!

You clubber you, I'll have to sort you out in my Nikolai or Konig Albert !!!

:Smile_trollface::Smile_trollface::Smile_trollface:

Super Tester
7,582 posts
8,005 battles

Hey man, here are some counter thoughts.

1. That's a BB influx. It also happened upon release of KM BBs. It is normal, give it a few days and Asia will be back to cruiser meta again.

2. Not sure which nation you are talking about. Even with nerfs, I find DDs at low tiers to be absolutely monsters. V25, G-101, Isokaze, Clemson, Kamikaze, Nicholas all are devastating DDs. No BB is a match for any of these. So may be you need more practice with DDs.

3. It is true that, the higher you go up tiers, the scarce CV population become. However, T7 is an exception. Saipans and Kagas are waiting for your tech tree CVs.

Now, is low tier fun? It is subjective at best. I find low tiers sometimes too easy. Unless the whole team yolos into B cap. Also, low tier cruisers are all monsters. I can do 70k+ in them with no problem at all. Low tier BBs are extremely inaccurate and its great for cruisers and DDs. Also, the players seem to be not that skilled for most cases. So if you are looking for challenging games, low tier is not for you. But if you are looking for relaxed games, its fun place ot be in. About mistakes, on a scale of 1 to 10, (i.e. the tiers) the amount of mistakes you make must reduce drastically. Otherwise you are not going to have a good time. That does not make high tiers any less enjoyable. You are among the big boys and better skilled players. You will not learn much if you just stay at low tier for too long.

325 posts
4,679 battles

High BB count at the moment because of British tech tree additions. But to quote Starship Troopers "that just means more BBs for us to kill!"

If you are in a CA and are getting shot at by BB's, your boat is in the wrong place. The idea with cruiser play is to advance only when you can, and hang back behind your team's BBs and give support fire if the enemy BB presses the attack. BB's are dangerous to cruisers, they are not to be engaged without a BB of your own side.

I like it that torps are hard to land. They should be hard to land. It's not click and shoot, you need careful planning and a lot of luck. And, what most people don't seem to understand, DD's are not just for guns and torps and smoke. Your main role is to help your team: keep the enemy cruisers lit up in the minimap,  screen enermy DDs away from your BBs, and keep the enemy pinned down by staying alive and just driving around unseen but they know you are out there somewhere. You'd be amazed at how skittish BB drivers get when they even imagine you might be closing in on them.

Edited by Rina_Pon
typo fix

1,498 posts
9 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

High BB count at the moment because of British tech tree additions. But to quote Starship Troopers "that just means more BBs for us to kill!"

If you are in a CA and are getting shot at by BB's, your boat is in the wrong place. The idea with cruiser play is to advance only when you can, and hang back behind your team's BBs and give support fire if the enemy BB presses the attack. BB's are dangerous to cruisers, they are not to be engaged without a BB of your own side.

I like it that torps are hard to land. They should be hard to land. It's not click and shoot, you need careful planning and a lot of luck. And, what most people don't seem to understand, DD's are not just for guns and torps and smoke. Your main role is to help your team: keep the enemy cruisers lit up in the minimap,  screen energy DDs away from your BBs, and keep the enemy pinned down by staying alive and just driving around unseen but *they know you are out there somewhere*. You'd be amazed at how skittish BB drivers get when they even imagine you might be closing in on them.

+1

Best post I've seen all week, I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Finally I have found someone who UNDERSTANDS the role of the ships...

I had better watch you, you might turn out to be a dangerous player.  :cap_cool: :cap_look:

Ordrazz

460 posts
8,358 battles

Something else i find at lower tiers is that generally there is less utter unadulterated stupidity. Sure many of the players are inexperienced, but they generally aren't complete and utter morons. There are fewer lemming trains and abandoned flanks. When I play over T5 I seem to run into people so stupid they wouldn't be able to pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel. It ends up resulting in a steam roll one way or another (winning or losing doesn't matter) and the battle feels generally unsatisfying. T6 seems to be the highest concentration of stupidity, perhaps because of the frequent bottom tier battles there anyone with a brain plays scenario. I do this myself most of the time. T7 and up seems to be the point where the stupidity reduces again (although not entirely)

1,126 posts

lowest tier I play is tier 5, unless I grind a new line.

it fun... unless the stupid gimmick ship like belfast join in.

major downside of low - mid tier is there so many CV to ruin the fun...

268 posts
6,381 battles

I find that tier 6 is the most fun - mid WW2 ships and the meta is fairly balanced with no particular class of ship being OP.  Engagement range are decent too, being around the 10-15km mark, rather than the long range sniping found in the higher tiers.

Tiers 2-3 just tend to be short-ranged, past-faced, seal-clubbing, hurr-durr shit-fights - much like tanks, although it is good to experience pre-dreadnought gameplay.

Sign in to follow this