Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BunnyDragon

Capture the Flag!

5 comments in this topic

423 posts

I have a new idea for Random game modes that might add some spice, or at least different play options.

Capture the Flag.

1) How is this different form standard or domination?

It is different in that one ship sails on a flag and the flag moves with the ship.  Any ship can do this. So there is no one base or set of bases to capture as in the other Random modes.

2) What are some play issues?

Normal play issues of players not following game play goals and so forth.  Another issue of "There's one dd in the match and it's on the other side!  We gonna lose! I give up and exit match, reload in different ship."  

Ok, answer, whichever ship has the flag, A) Has a pointer in the enemy teams heads up pointing in the general direction of the flag, like RDF.  This means that dds are not super powerful in this mode and can decide the game (I hope at least).  This also helps to reduce the stealth of certain ships and make other ships like bbs willing to push for the flag.  What does it matter that everyone knows where you are in general?  They can see you anyways.  B) The pointer does not show a specific ship, so if you are sailing with a group, the enemy has to shoot at everyone to find the flag.

C) You lose the flag when you die or suffer a cit. massive damage on your ship.  This is to prevent bounce and near misses to cause you to drop the flag and give everyone a chance to be "hero" and hold the flag.  Massive damage, (like Citadel or losing a lot at once to regular pens) means that even if a good player gets hold of it, you aren't screwed so to speak.

D) When you lose the flag, it jumps to the middle of both teams, causing campers to miss out of the fun and also gives the team chasing the flag a chance to catch it, and also the team keeping the flag to get it back.  

Please leave suggestions on how better to work this idea. I know I haven't addressed all problems, or even realized all problems with this idea. 

Thanks in advance everyone. 

Edited by BunnyDragon

1,493 posts
1 hour ago, BunnyDragon said:

I have a new idea for Random game modes that might add some spice, or at least different play options.

Capture the Flag.

1) How is this different form standard or domination?

It is different in that one ship sails on a flag and the flag moves with the ship.  Any ship can do this. So there is no one base or set of bases to capture as in the other Random modes.

2) What are some play issues?

Normal play issues of players not following game play goals and so forth.  Another issue of "There's one dd in the match and it's on the other side!  We gonna lose! I give up and exit match, reload in different ship."  

Ok, answer, whichever ship has the flag, A) Has a pointer in the enemy teams heads up pointing in the general direction of the flag, like RDF.  This means that dds are not super powerful in this mode and can decide the game (I hope at least).  This also helps to reduce the stealth of certain ships and make other ships like bbs willing to push for the flag.  What does it matter that everyone knows where you are in general?  They can see you anyways.  B) The pointer does not show a specific ship, so you are sailing with a group, the enemy has to shoot at everyone to find the flag.

C) You lose the flag when you die or suffer a cit. massive damage on your ship.  This is to prevent bounce and near misses to cause you to drop the flag and give everyone a chance to be "hero" and hold the flag.  Massive damage, (like Citadel or losing a lot at once to regular pens) means that even if a good player gets hold of it, you aren't screwed so to speak.

D) When you lose the flag, it jumps to the middle of both teams, causing campers to miss out of the fun and also gives the team chasing the flag a chance to catch it, and also the team keeping the flag to get it back.  

Please leave suggestions on how better to work this idea. I know I haven't addressed all problems, or even realized all problems with this idea. 

Thanks in advance everyone. 

+4

I quite like this innovative idea, BunnyDragon,  reminds me of capture the flag in half life or unreal tournament... (the originals)

To add on to your idea, the ship would have to carry it & sail around to survive (not just hide & camp or that would lose points or the flag completely, as a penalty for camping) , & what if the flag returned to the original capture point, if the ship that got it got sunk? Then everyone would have to get there first....

It could be timed. So a team would have to hang on to it for a certain length of uninnterupted time to win, or the time a team hangs on to it, counts toward a uniform score, so it would be equal, & the score would only go up while a team had the flag, & would freeze if they lost it....

Sort of like slow football with ships...

Great idea BunnyDragon.

:cap_like:

Ordrazz

Edited by Ordrazz

423 posts
9 hours ago, Ordrazz said:

To add on to your idea, the ship would have to carry it & sail around to survive (not just hide & camp or that would lose points or the flag completely, as a penalty for camping) , & what if the flag returned to the original capture point, if the ship that got it got sunk? Then everyone would have to get there first....

It could be timed. So a team would have to hang on to it for a certain length of uninnterupted time to win, or the time a team hangs on to it, counts toward a uniform score, so it would be equal, & the score would only go up while a team had the flag, & would freeze if they lost it....

Sort of like slow football with ships...

To your first point, I hope that the General Flag Pointer, would encourage running with the flag as the entire enemy team knows your general location. Sitting in one spot gets you found real easily with some talking.  (Even cv would have the pointer, but only in relation to their ship, not planes)

To the second, good idea, forgot that part. 

Thanks for the ideas Ordrazz

15 posts

Another reason to use RDF to indicate who has the flag rather than the Classic this VICTIM has the flag is the lack of re-spon in this game.  If you indicate this ship has the flag specifically that ship has almost ZERO chance of getting significant distance unless they are a DD who can go unspotted rather than simply being focus fired to death keeping the game back at the standard death match.

Sign in to follow this