Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SkyWarrior_109

Continually Being Citadelled as IJN Cruisers

17 comments in this topic

11 posts
1,125 battles

Hello,

I noticed that I keep being one shot or dealt massive amounts of damage to by battleships with seemingly little to no way to avoid them other than hiding behind an island or some sort of land mass, I have had situations where I have turned completely away from an enemy battleship salvo to present the smallest possible profile, but even then, being dealt a ridiculous citadel on the rear deck. I have also had an instance where I have turned diagonally away from an enemy battleship and ONE shell has hit my rear deck(basically right on the very stern near the prop) and citadelled me in one hit.

I keep firing salvo after salvo as a cruiser to try and take down battleships outside of torpedo range, but can't manage to do much significant damage other than HE fires before the enemy BB just fires one salvo and eats up to 1/4 of my HP or 1/2 in one hit, and I can't close the distance enough before getting taken down extremely easily to actually launch torpedoes either.

Any tips for this?

683 posts
7,325 battles

Well, in my opinion IJN CAs are like Ninjas. Move in stealth to certain position in which you are not in the position possible cross fire from enemy ships, sling some shots, then go to stealth again before those big guns turn towards you.

Staying alive is a much larger threat to the enemy than sacrificing yourself trying to take down someone bigger than you.

Frankly I'm not a big fan of IJN CA, you may search some YouTube videos on the ship that you wanna improve. Find a suitable one to learn from :)

See you on the high SEA captain!

580 posts
1,587 battles

You're a Cruiser going up against a Battleship. What are you supposed to expect? Even at angled you're not supposed to hope on that when you're squaring down a BB.

Sure it works sometimes but it's a CA/CL angling against a BB's AP shells is a big gamble. Though they say that IJN CAs are tanky AF especially T7 and up but do remember the rock-paper-scissors mechanic is still pretty relevant

Trying playing around with your speed and rudders and keep your distance against BBs. Firing at the outer 1/3rd of their range and they have to deal will bad dispersion. With that said you'd be surprised how manageable shell dodging is.

And always remember to pray to RNGesus

Super Tester
2,725 posts

This is common issue on all cruisers, not just IJN.

This is applicable from long range and maybe medium range on cruisers & maybe destroyers:

- Have priority target perk, if you are paranoid about number of enemies targeting you then invest on this commander perk/skill.

- Make a WASD haxx maneuver, sudden pull down the speed to 1/4 & make a full sharp turns. Execute this maneuver only when enemy targeting you almost reloaded or when fired his armament.

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,189 battles

Yeah, IJN CAs are easily penned if they broadside, almost as if they have larger citadels. Plunging fire works pretty well on them too, but then again ,their stealth is right up there and being a pesky pyromaniac is the best role for the IJN CAs

11 posts
1,125 battles

The thing is, I usually do EVERYTHING you guys are suggesting, speeding up, slowing down, turning, but I always get hit at some point and its EXTREMELY heavy damage or a straight out citadel, very rarely light/moderate damage.

Especially with the lower tiers where ranges are much closer, there is not much time to change direction before you get hit in the face with those BB shells.

It just feels like IJN cruisers are stuck in a bit of a pitfall with USN cruisers and other nation's cruisers boasting apparently superior firepower and often better ROF while shedding the mostly useless torpedoes (they seem to become less effective the higher you go in MM, people get smarter and know how to avoid or predict torpedo launches, and to get close enough for a cruiser to launch them effectively becomes more and more difficult without being annihilated and deleted) and then there's the BB's eating the entire IJN cruiser line for breakfast it seems with little to no chance for counterplay other than launching a HECK of torps and hoping for a hit or spamming HE and hoping to piss off the enemy BB captain by setting his ship on fire over and over.

459 posts
8,260 battles

Torpedoes aren't useless even if they miss, they force the enemy BB to turn (possible exposing them self) and distracts them from shooting at you. Trouble is you basically have to expose your broadside to fire them, don't do that until you know they are reloading and don't do it long.

All cruisers suffer being deleted by BBs, not just the IJN. The best you can do is to try and evade their shots. I use the incoming fire skill, but the other one works to a degree as well. Being further away doesn't just increase the dispersion the BB suffers it also give you more time to evade.

Unfortunately for cruiser players some BB captains have become very adept at predicting your evasion and can hit you regardless.

1,386 posts
8,216 battles

Specify in what ship are you encountering this problem?

by looking at your stats it is either Kuma or Furutaka.

Kuma's citadel is like air, it is there and everyone can grab a bite of it. Try to maneuver to avoid shells or use terrain as cover.

Furutaka is well protected if you know how to angle properly. Get hull C, upgraded guns and FCS and she is a good ship. Her mid section weather deck can bounce off every type of AP. Try not show your broadside against people who knows how to fire AP, and try maneuver to let large caliber AP land on your weather deck for minimal damage.

419 posts

Since you are using IJN Cruisers, a problem the line has is, if you have all or almost all of your guns lined up on target, you are giving too much side and can get cit very easily.  Also, the Japanese have a big cit area in the rear of most of their cruisers, so for other nations you get penned while completely stern on, you are cit in IJN.  (Also, never stern on as that increases the chances of being cit in any cruiser.  Armor mechanics there.  Keep at a steady angle all the time.)

Don't be afraid to drop off the map from not firing and move to a better position for you.  That is one of the things cruisers do. 

[151ST]
1,008 posts
4,494 battles
10 hours ago, SkyWarrior_109 said:

The thing is, I usually do EVERYTHING you guys are suggesting, speeding up, slowing down, turning, but I always get hit at some point and its EXTREMELY heavy damage or a straight out citadel, very rarely light/moderate damage.

Especially with the lower tiers where ranges are much closer, there is not much time to change direction before you get hit in the face with those BB shells.

It just feels like IJN cruisers are stuck in a bit of a pitfall with USN cruisers and other nation's cruisers boasting apparently superior firepower and often better ROF while shedding the mostly useless torpedoes (they seem to become less effective the higher you go in MM, people get smarter and know how to avoid or predict torpedo launches, and to get close enough for a cruiser to launch them effectively becomes more and more difficult without being annihilated and deleted) and then there's the BB's eating the entire IJN cruiser line for breakfast it seems with little to no chance for counterplay other than launching a HECK of torps and hoping for a hit or spamming HE and hoping to piss off the enemy BB captain by setting his ship on fire over and over.

IJN CAs (Furutaka onwards) do not suffer from a lack of firepower but a lower DPM.

They have the best firepower until absurd CA guns ala Graf Spee/Moskva.

The trick is knowing how to aim your railgun 203s...

Many people will swear by HE but if you can aim, AP is nuts as well.

The flat trajectories and high velocity means the range you can reliably get citadels is much more than any other CL/A.

IJN CAs get better the less opponents you have where you can angle them out and bounce and lolpen them anyways cause 203s, lol.

So the playstyle to this is picking off the single and out of position enemies. More so than even other Cruisers you do not want to get caught being shot by multiple enemies from multiple directions, they simply don't have CL handling.

Furutaka and Aoba are there to teach you front guns first. Both have 2/3rds of their firepower at the front. Use these guns and only use your rear gun when the situation arises.

From Myoko on you need to remind yourself of that lesson otherwise you will be deleted by any CA or BB because you showed too much citadel.

Torps, in Furutaka/Atago can be situationally good due to arcs, on anything else only use them to ambush or to discourage a chase.

The ninja knifing the others are talking about is all about your railguns and concealment. The high tier IJN CAs can get around 10km spotted. This just happens to be a range you can reliably get citadels at. So how do you do it?

- Load railgun AP

- Position yourself well with WASD hax to avoid pesky DD and Aircraft spotting.

- Make sure you don't fire your guns unless from cover (hidden).

- Wait for your prey (CL/A) to show broadside and laugh as you wipe at least 50% of his HP with your amazing accuracy and good aim.

- Get rid of him with your 2nd salvo as you get to max speed and are running away (because you weren't a noob and used 1/4 speed instead of stop)

- Bounce enemy fire/tank for 20s while you go back to sealth (not firing guns).

- Rinse, Repeat.

Hope this helps...

Super Tester
7,512 posts
7,978 battles

I think you guys are making this overly complex for op. It is well known that ijn cruisers are selfish in nature and must be played as such. They are probably the least efficient cruiser line. Almost every other cruiser line is far better. You have 203mm? Guess what, usn 203s are far more devastating. Only thing you do in ijn ca is fight from max range, avoid anything with high RoF and high caliber, farm a lot of damage and hope the team wins. Never go anywhere such that enemy ships will find you appealing target. It's not just bb that will citadel you, german or usn cruisers can also one shot you.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Sign in to follow this