Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FishyPower

Challenge: Justify Survival Expert

18 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,280 battles

Yeah, can someone help me see the benefits of Survival Expert on DDs. Take my Sims for example, it gains 2450 HP for 3 skill points, is it worth it? If yes, how so?

[AUSNZ]
420 posts
16,063 battles

Well in a 1v1 DD battle that extra 2450 HP is enough for you to survive and kill that DD, also the extra HP is good in general as every ship on the map will shoot at you no matter how far away they are so you will take random damage from CA/CA's, BB's & CV's so the extra HP is well worth it.

Another point is that say you have been taken down to 1k HP where you would be dead without SE you can now just be a torpedo boat/ Torpedo scout for your team. If you are dead you can do nothing so IMO it is well worth it when you can put it on your DD, but probably not on a T2 DD lol 

326 posts
10,550 battles

My Akizuki, Fletcher & Gearing captain's build (same captain I'm use on my Atlanta as well).

shot-17_09.03_20_59.37-0105.thumb.jpg.125b3a72cc44cf9e88b0a918aeb124e5.jpg

Example on my Gearing

Stock : 19400 hp

shot-17_09.03_21_00.34-0509.thumb.jpg.4754f578cbe2c9d2156adbf352a33a24.jpg

With SE : 22900 hp (+3500 hp)

shot-17_09.03_21.02_09-0127.thumb.jpg.2f2461a80855eb162a2fe28f229ca4f1.jpg

As for USN & KMF DD's, if u more to DD's brawling or gunfight, then its worth.  Even better if u put Adrenaline Rush.

Feels awesome.

Survivalbility is the key priority when u play DD's; when u engage, retreat or scout for ur team.

Edited by ArchKongou

1,356 posts
8,888 battles

It is good for almost all DDs, especially gunboat DDs where you will expect to take a lot of gunfire.

It is also great for DDs with low HP general like the Kagerou. In some cases you can get 1 shot killed by an IJN torpedo hit, but with SE you survive that.

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,280 battles

I got a 15 point captain for my USN DDs, that I intend on maxing out.

Currently running 

Priority Target

Adrenaline Rush

Last Stand

BFT

DE

CE

I'll probably take SE and Preventive Maintenance, though I'm still mildly uncertain about SE

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,495 battles

It's also a popular choice for Tier X BB captains. I'm sure there must be a reason for it, but then again perhaps some mysteries are better left unsolved.

326 posts
10,550 battles
17 minutes ago, FishyPower said:

I got a 15 point captain for my USN DDs, that I intend on maxing out.

Currently running 

Priority Target

Adrenaline Rush

Last Stand

BFT

DE

CE

I'll probably take SE and Preventive Maintenance, though I'm still mildly uncertain about SE

My POV (since I've been play USN DD's line for very long time):

Trade DE to SE or Superintendent.

DE ain't worth since u already have great DPM gun (more pew pew power) & great fire chance on ur shells.

Take note once ur DD's already reach tier 7 or high on, keep in ur mind that radar is the most challenging things u have to face (especially those Russian Bias). Remember the radar range & the radar cooldown on every cruiser on tier 7 & above. 

Edited by ArchKongou

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,495 battles

For DDs it's usually a good choice. It might be clearer if you compare the added HP to the original total, as a percentage. High tier DDs can often gain around 20% more hitpoints from Survival Expert. Now consider that this effectively grants you 20% more endurance in surviving enemy fire. ie. You can stay alive and fighting 20% longer than without it. Compare to, say, BFT which increases damage output by ~11%. Which skill would be more useful in most engagements? (of course, you'd usually get both these skills on a gunboat, but I'm sure you get the idea)

Super Tester
7,583 posts
8,005 battles

I have a few 19 point DD captains and SE is a must for DD.

Main reason: you won't die from 1 random torp. Do you still need a better reason?

Also, the 2kish HP you see, its actually a lot more than just that number. DDs start taking less and less damage as they are getting damaged from damage saturation. That low amount of HP goes a long way.

However, SE is only effective from T6/T7 and up. If you build a lower tier captain exclusively, don't take that skill. Go for offensive or defensive ones.

It also helps with DDs with heal. I think heal is based on max hp. There you go.

After reading your planned skill build: You are way too greedy. You don't hit enough shells with US DD to justify DE. In a DD-DD fight, setting fire means nothing, you need to kill the target. Here are two most effective US DD builds used by most top asian dd players:

Anti AA build: (Only recommended if you do CV divs)

hu2ue85.png

Anti DD build:

y0n1OKx.png

You can replace the SI with Vigil / BFT if you don;t need all the smoke charges (ofc with premium).

And yes, you can just ignore these and go with your own build. If you can make it work, then the build is fine.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

SE works best at high tier DD, unless you have something else in mind of that 3 skill points

i even use Adrenaline Rush to maximise my Torp Spam with my Kagerou

1,386 posts
8,249 battles
14 hours ago, Unraveler said:

It's also a popular choice for Tier X BB captains. I'm sure there must be a reason for it, but then again perhaps some mysteries are better left unsolved.

A chance of getting a BB with 6 digit HP without grinding GK I guess?

Guess I'm not qualified to judge them... I have a Minotaur with survivability expert....

783 posts
4,829 battles
1 hour ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

A chance of getting a BB with 6 digit HP without grinding GK I guess?

Guess I'm not qualified to judge them... I have a Minotaur with survivability expert....

Poor Montana, doesn't even reach the 6digit dream, stuck at 99800 HP. :Smile_sad:

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,280 battles
10 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

I have a few 19 point DD captains and SE is a must for DD.

Main reason: you won't die from 1 random torp. Do you still need a better reason?

Also, the 2kish HP you see, its actually a lot more than just that number. DDs start taking less and less damage as they are getting damaged from damage saturation. That low amount of HP goes a long way.

However, SE is only effective from T6/T7 and up. If you build a lower tier captain exclusively, don't take that skill. Go for offensive or defensive ones.

It also helps with DDs with heal. I think heal is based on max hp. There you go.

After reading your planned skill build: You are way too greedy. You don't hit enough shells with US DD to justify DE. In a DD-DD fight, setting fire means nothing, you need to kill the target. Here are two most effective US DD builds used by most top asian dd players:

Anti AA build: (Only recommended if you do CV divs)

hu2ue85.png

Anti DD build:

y0n1OKx.png

You can replace the SI with Vigil / BFT if you don;t need all the smoke charges (ofc with premium).

And yes, you can just ignore these and go with your own build. If you can make it work, then the build is fine.

The second build seems pretty nice, though I would like to know if there are some alternatives to the direction finder

1,356 posts
8,888 battles
1 hour ago, FishyPower said:

The second build seems pretty nice, though I would like to know if there are some alternatives to the direction finder

If you don't want Radio Location I suppose you could go with BFT/Vigilance + PM instead. Or even TAE if you wanna torpedo boat a bit.

1,386 posts
8,249 battles
5 hours ago, SZYZWY said:

Poor Montana, doesn't even reach the 6digit dream, stuck at 99800 HP. :Smile_sad:

It could before 0.6.0 nerfed SE to 350/tier...

Another solid proof of goddamn biased Russian USN hater!

...And GERMAN TECHNOLOGY NO1 IN THY WARUDO never gets to have over 110k HP...

IJN BIAS CONFIRMED:etc_red_button:

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

Sign in to follow this