Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Asian_noone

Doing badly in Zao?

7 comments in this topic

31 posts
2,893 battles

My average stats in Zao are way below average, as according to warships.today now, i only do 58k on average compared to the SEA average of 73k. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong in Zao, considering that I often like to brawl or aggressively seek out targets, and I own several BBs in the NA server. Sometimes, I get games where I do over 100k damage, but more often I have to deal with games where I only do up to 50k damage or less.

Edited by Asian_noone

[MEGA]
4,563 posts
17,552 battles

dont play aggressively in zao, you dont have the DPM, HP or turret speed to get close and win fights with other T10 CAs

Edited by drakon233

1,386 posts
8,224 battles

Zao is no aggressive ship. Watch your HP pool, compare it with Minotaur, and you can see how a large AA CL have better HP pool than Zao does. And watch your RoF, compare it with New Orleans, you don't have the DPM for close range combat. What that means is you should not over-expose yourself to heavy concentration nor should you allow enemy to demonstrate their DPM advantage. You get main battery range mod, use your superior shell speed, high alpha HE and accuracy to deal damage while reducing enemy shell hits. But with that said, Zao is no longer a good ship now.

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08
F word to iPhone's stupid as hell autospell

213 posts
4,335 battles

I had a lot of trouble in the Zao at first. Was averaging around 50k dmg, 30% wr and getting deleted every game. Now I still not gud but averaging around 70-90k dmg with some big games mixed in and 50%+ WR. Its ultra fun and V. powerful.

Some things I changed in my gameplay.

The Zao is not as tough as it seems - Yamato & Grosser will delete you from any angle.  It's great attributes are stealth, accuracy and HE. 

Using stealth to get in real close and smacking DDs and CAs (or even a BB with guns facing the wrong way) from short range or set fires to BBs from long range.  The key here is to fire 2 or 3 salvos - enough to sink a DD or cripple and set a CA on fire, and then STOP firing and stealth up again. The deal is that the Zao can take hits from most, but suddenly gets deleted by the big BBs so it is very important to avoid being targeted by them. If the enemy BBs are engaging someone else they will generally take 30+ secs to acquire, reload and engage you. You want to be gone or at least on the way to being gone before this happens.  Of course this doesn't work if the enemy BB has his guns ready pointing in your direction- so keep and eye out before opening fire and revealing yourself. Quite often I will watch and wait for a BB to fire a salvo before firing (and reavaling myself).  Also, however tempting it may be to get stuck into the brawl and fire that last salvo - it will often end up with 9 18' shells coming from a the far side of the map.

Sign in to follow this