Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FishyPower

How to git gud

43 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,245 battles

I'm fed up with my bad performance. Losing and losing and losing. It doesn't feel like I'm doing badly in my boat, other than the typical over extension, so please give me some tips on how to win more.

I play German BBs and I'm at the FDG, about 100k from the GK

I also have the Prinz Eugen, which I intend to play more oftenly.

And also advise for DDs in general, mainly the Anshan and the Sims

Thanks in advance

Edited by FishyPower
Removing inappropriate words

783 posts
4,810 battles

Word for word "git gud" is really hard to advice verbally and specifically. As I feel you frequent the forums enough to know about the usual advice people will give, it's more about experience, practice, and getting used to doing the right things, be it small or big. Of course it also has the requirement of keeping such advice in mind.

It would be really helpful if you can provide some replays, so the resulting advice from players won't contradict your intended playstyle. Here or via PM would suffice, I'd like to watch some replays in my free time anyway.

Disclaimer however is that improvement isn't something that's reflected via numbers so easily, and of course it also isn't reflected in your winrate immediately, so evaluation on whether you're "getting good" will be of you own discretion.
Somethings will work and some will not, so good luck in the future~

[LBAS]
4,468 posts
25,632 battles
15 hours ago, THUNDERCOMMANDER4 said:

dude change that bit with sh@# or ya might get a red flag 

thats right

if U play only 1 class 1 nation, u will not find the weakness of the others or maximize your ships' skill (>> how to git gud?:fish_book:)

play more classes more nations --> adapt to anything, ready for any situation(dont cling too much in high tier)

Edited by MatterCore

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,245 battles
1 hour ago, SZYZWY said:

Word for word "git gud" is really hard to advice verbally and specifically. As I feel you frequent the forums enough to know about the usual advice people will give, it's more about experience, practice, and getting used to doing the right things, be it small or big. Of course it also has the requirement of keeping such advice in mind.

It would be really helpful if you can provide some replays, so the resulting advice from players won't contradict your intended playstyle. Here or via PM would suffice, I'd like to watch some replays in my free time anyway.

Disclaimer however is that improvement isn't something that's reflected via numbers so easily, and of course it also isn't reflected in your winrate immediately, so evaluation on whether you're "getting good" will be of you own discretion.
Somethings will work and some will not, so good luck in the future~

I'll probably get 3 replays in a row for some boats and post em here, so you and the other forumers can critique my play, both good and bad (Thank you)

56 minutes ago, MatterCore said:

thats right

if U play only 1 class 1 nation, u will not find the weakness of the others or maximize your ships' skill (>> how to git gud?:fish_book:)

play more classes more nations --> adapt to anything, ready for any situation(dont cling too much in high tier)

Too excited for my first T10 that I'll probably play for one battle and never touch again

353 posts
5,012 battles

my advice is to stop playing for 1 week
if you still feel like playing, play again

else continue not to play

thats what i did back in july

1,340 posts
8,823 battles

Yeah it is a good idea to post some replays because it is pretty hard to "git gud" if you don't know what you need to get good at.

Like what are your weaknesses? Is your map awareness bad? Or is it your playstyle? Are you playing too agressively or too conservatively? Do you keep on zigging when you should have zagged?

Apart from telling you to watch some videos from Flamu, Notser or iChase, there is not much I can help without additional info sorry! :Smile_sad:

14 hours ago, MatterCore said:

thats right

This is good advice. To be a good player you need to learn not only the capabilities but also the mindsets of other ships and classes, and what better way than to play those ships yourself? As Sun Tzu said, know your enemy, know yourself and win a thousand battles. Or something like that. :cap_book:

Edited by Thyaliad
Lol typos

[LBAS]
4,468 posts
25,632 battles
20 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

Yeah it is a good idea to post some replays because it is pretty hard to "git gud" if you don't know what you need to get good at.

Like what are your weaknesses? Is your map awareness bad? Or is it your playstyle? Are you playing too agressively or too conservatively? Do you keep on zigging when you should have zagged?

Apart from telling you to watch some videos from Flamu, Notser or iChase, there is not much I can help without additional info sorry! :Smile_sad:

This is good advice. To be a good player you need to learn not only the capabilities but also the mindsets of other ships and classes, and ehat bettrr way than to llay those ships yourself? As Sun Tzu said, know your enemy, know yourself and win a thousand battles. Or something like that. :cap_book:

damn right you are

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles

One obvious way is to div up with better players and watch their positioning, engagement discipline etc.

Also, you actually know one of you problems. "Usual over-extension". Try putting that in check. Sometimes it is a common problem for German bb mains.

1,174 posts
10,495 battles
On 9/1/2017 at 0:38 PM, FishyPower said:

I'm fed up with my bad performance. Losing and losing and losing. It doesn't feel like I'm doing badly in my boat, other than the typical over extension, so please give me some tips on how to win more.

I play German BBs and I'm at the FDG, about 100k from the GK

I also have the Prinz Eugen, which I intend to play more oftenly.

And also advise for DDs in general, mainly the Anshan and the Sims

Thanks in advance

as per performance goes, only you can improve it..(this is related to gitting gud) For me I keep track of my stats look which ship works well for me and which one doesn't.. Then try to look up where I'm going wrong and try improving my way of approach..

As winning a random battle goes, it is a gamble if you ask me with 11 random players on your team will really not help as there can be either good players or bad players.. You'll need to struggle hard and people in random(not all but 60% of the random players tend to ignore each other's requests)..

You can either become super unicum and carry all the 11 players on your team... or take 2 friends with you to have good co-ordination...

As per FDG, playing it with fully secondary build makes life a lot easier.. then when you get to GK(Only if you want to you can change your captain's Manual secondaries into Concealment expert as GK can be seen over the moon) and GK's 12 guns makes up for the german dispersion.. 

I didn't get the Prinz Eugen part... I'll leave it there

DDs.. for more team play go for USN(these DDs are unbeatable when you know how to teamplay).. Go for Russian DD line if you like to keep spamming HE shells and annoy the hell out of the USN cruisers and BBs... IJN if you want to be useless to your team try spotting, denying the BBs to push up by torpedo spam(isn't much rewarding)

Haven't tried the german line so not gonna talk about it...

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,245 battles

Well, I took some time to read all the messages carefully.

So far, my plan is to get my overall win rate to 50% and keep it at that or higher.

I will be grinding other lines once I get my GK (Be done by today) but having read up on the boats, I have a general idea of each line.

USN: BB (Slow and heavy armored till T7, Fast and relatively low armor T8>, Great AP stats, typically good AA) CA, all rounders (Des Moines is OP) DDs (Close range + Great Smoke) CV (I don't know)

IJN: BBs (Typically fast battleships, Yamato has lolpen caliber) CAs (HE spammers, good concealment) IJN (Torpedo boats, except that other gunboat line that plays like Soviet DDs afaik)

Soviet: CA (HE spammers) DD (Fast, great arcs, slow turret)

German: CA (Bad HE, great AP, comes with 6km torps) BBs (German hydro, hard to citadel, bad dispersion, OP secondaries)

British: CA (AP spammers, easy if caught in open, but getting targeted by them is costly, small smoke so can hide with some skill and luck)

After the GK, I'll be going for the IJN BB line (Yamato) and the USN DDs. I can already foresee the problems I will have with aimming in the USN DD, and afaik, USN DDs are killers for me, so tips on that would work too.

Thanks for now

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,245 battles

I took a look at my FDG stats, turns out it wasn't TOO bad, also can some explain how I managed this?

ezgif-4-e5d80078c7.gif

It was my FDG against an enemy FDG. Given the KM BB's turtleback/anti-pen citadel, I really did not expect the double pen.

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles
7 hours ago, FishyPower said:

It was my FDG against an enemy FDG. Given the KM BB's turtleback/anti-pen citadel, I really did not expect the double pen.

Oh you won't say that if you see my collection of FDG/GK cit screenshots. I have cit them with almost every BB. Specially with Iowa. Also, cit hits are overrated if the total damage is not high. You can do almost 40k to bismarck in one iowa salvo with just regular pens, that is a lot higher than getting 1 citadel and some overpens.

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,245 battles
11 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Oh you won't say that if you see my collection of FDG/GK cit screenshots. I have cit them with almost every BB. Specially with Iowa. Also, cit hits are overrated if the total damage is not high. You can do almost 40k to bismarck in one iowa salvo with just regular pens, that is a lot higher than getting 1 citadel and some overpens.

Well that FDG seemed to be angling some, so :I

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles
10 hours ago, FishyPower said:

Well that FDG seemed to be angling some, so :I

You know, the way you citadel german BBs, (through deck pen) it doesn't matter if they are angled or not. Shells usually drop at a very steep angle

Beta Tester
906 posts

My tip: concealment trumps all in this game. Knowing when to break concealment and get back into concealment. In ranked meta concealment matters most. One reason why hastuharu's were used alot last season. 

Why does concealment matter:

1) lets you run and heal up

2)allows you yo line up your shot and surprise the enemy. In high tier BB you can dev strike CAs

3) concealled ships means your not getting hammered by multiple enemies

4)when you should be concealled but are light up. You know a DD or CA is  around. You become situation aware and alter course to bait out torps. With a missouri you have a high chance to light up the DD with radar and nuke them. 

RN BBs are now best followed by USN BBs in terms or concealment. Germans are the worst. 

When looking to play a line. Find one with best concealment and good/best guns. 

USN DDs. Best guns, best concealment and very good torps.

IJN CA very good concealment and good guns. 

Good luck. 

Edited by SlamUez

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,245 battles
6 hours ago, SlamUez said:

My tip: concealment trumps all in this game. Knowing when to break concealment and get back into concealment. In ranked meta concealment matters most. One reason why hastuharu's were used alot last season. 

Why does concealment matter:

1) lets you run and heal up

2)allows you yo line up your shot and surprise the enemy. In high tier BB you can dev strike CAs

3) concealled ships means your not getting hammered by multiple enemies

4)when you should be concealled but are light up. You know a DD or CA is  around. You become situation aware and alter course to bait out torps. With a missouri you have a high chance to light up the DD with radar and nuke them. 

RN BBs are now best followed by USN BBs in terms or concealment. Germans are the worst. 

When looking to play a line. Find one with best concealment and good/best guns. 

USN DDs. Best guns, best concealment and very good torps.

IJN CA very good concealment and good guns. 

Good luck. 

Yeah, I've played the ARP Takao and I can feel the difference. But what if I'm stuck with say, the Prinz Eugen? The concealment isn't exactly the best

183 posts
3,790 battles
31 minutes ago, FishyPower said:

Yeah, I've played the ARP Takao and I can feel the difference. But what if I'm stuck with say, the Prinz Eugen? The concealment isn't exactly the best

I'll be honest here. I only bought PE because of the one in your profile pic. What I did was to recruit a new captain specialized for her and played 145 games, using escl, zulu hotel, dragon to make the captain 15pt to finally play her with concealment only to realize, she really just perform great in very specific circumstances and CE is just a band-aid fix.

She holds the highest damage record I have on cruisers and also my only kraken on cruisers but overall, she's pretty hard to play especially with the horrible matchmaking for T8 ships. Having waifus has it's costs, this is one of them.

Edited by DonnerSushi
formatting

Beta Tester
906 posts
57 minutes ago, FishyPower said:

Atago is called the paytago because its the best tier 8 CA. Its a ship you can play in tier 10 games without fear. Infact i prefer it because it farms so much xp and cash. Its concealment is 9.1. Good torp arcs. Good guns and heal. 

The prinz hipper is bad. Because of poor concealment and turns like a brick. The HE is buffed and AP is decent. But its not enough. You play this ship from further back as a hit and run support class. Set things on fire seldomly. 

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,245 battles
21 minutes ago, DonnerSushi said:

I'll be honest here. I only bought PE because of the one in your profile pic. What I did was to recruit a new captain specialized for her and played 145 games, using escl, zulu hotel, dragon to make the captain 15pt to finally play her with concealment only to realize, she really just perform great in very specific circumstances and CE is just a band-aid fix.

She holds the highest damage record I have on cruisers and also my only kraken on cruisers but overall, she's pretty hard to play especially with the horrible matchmaking for T8 ships. Having waifus has it's costs, this is one of them.

Heh heh, Sorry about that :3 I did so for nearly the same reason (Isn't she cute :D) I got Thea Kreutzer on her as my Prinz Eugen/Graf Spee captain

183 posts
3,790 battles
52 minutes ago, FishyPower said:

Heh heh, Sorry about that :3 I did so for nearly the same reason (Isn't she cute :D) I got Thea Kreutzer on her as my Prinz Eugen/Graf Spee captain

Well, it's not really you per se, but the fact that the kancolle PE exists and people using her as display pic.

I really wish I had money at the time the HSF ships were being sold since I wanted the commanders. Well at least the ARP captains are usable as regular captains now. 16pt Ashigara is my Yamato captain. Her voice is just heavenly.

Edited by DonnerSushi

Sign in to follow this