Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Patton160

Deep Dive Tropedos?

5 comments in this topic

8 posts
1,469 battles

As the title says, What the hell is Deep Dive Torpedoes that WG mentioned on their rubbish apology.

Well it has been circulating around that the tropdoes will be of course deeper thus harder to spot. And the tropedos will only hit ships with deep underwater hulls. Ships such as Battleships and large cruisers [Russian Navy i'm looking at you]. But more importantly beside deep and stealthy tropedos, I've noticed that most did not take note of the potential of underwater citadels by these "Deep Dive Tropedos".

See most of the warships usually have very thin underwater armoured as most shells would be defeated upon touching the water. And to some of these Large vessels, their citadel plating are poking out on the very bottom on their ships. Meaning that these tropedos have the chance to score a underwater citadel. Interesting new mechanic, but ill like to hear other thoughts about it.

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,277 battles

Well...

Technically, citadel hits are not THAT scary. Put it this way, the 5k Citadel damage of Prinz Eugen is essentially the pen damage of the FDG, so technically, since torpedoes already do such high damage, whether it is a citadel hit wouldn't really matter, it is kinda just a problem of naming.

Honestly, I'm still sitting on the fence for these deep dive torpedoes. Imo, they don't really bring much to the table. If you are going to hit a ship with normal torpedoes, then the increased stealth wouldn't be necessary. And if you do manage to hit, chances are your normal torpedo salvo would have killed that target in the first place, so what you lose, what you remove is the self defense capability of torps. You remove the area denial capability that helps in cap, you take away the ability to flush out DDs in smoke.

What I think would be best would be that torpedoes can be like gun shells, you can preset them to be deep dive or shallow, changing the torpedoes would require a few more seconds, maybe 10-20 secs?

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

I guess they are supposed to be designed as "unavoidable torpedoes"? Probably with some 0.3km or less detection so if you are in a ship that sits low enough in water, say, anything with a greater displacement than a heavy cruiser, no amount of rudder shift will save you.

It sounds positively gimmicky, but perhaps let's see how they plan to implement it. Who knows, might be interesting...

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
27 minutes ago, pwnies5600 said:

I guess they are supposed to be designed as "unavoidable torpedoes"? Probably with some 0.3km or less detection so if you are in a ship that sits low enough in water, say, anything with a greater displacement than a heavy cruiser, no amount of rudder shift will save you.

It sounds positively gimmicky, but perhaps let's see how they plan to implement it. Who knows, might be interesting...

It still can be detected with sonar

And possibly air detection

1,354 posts
8,888 battles

There is talk about the deep dive torpedoes being able to avoid the torpedo belt damage reduction, if that is what you mean.

Because currently in terms of damage type, all torpedo hits to the ship's side (not the bow or the stern) counts as a citadel damage, which means only a small portion of the damage can be repaired. Whereas while getting a torp hit on the bow or stern is almost guaranteed flooding, the torpedo damage itself counts as a normal pen, so it can be repaired by about 50%.

So sometimes you as BB player you have to make a choice: Eat a torp on the nose and get a flood for repairable damage, or take it on the torpedo belt for reduced damage and flooding chance in exchange for being unable to repair the damage.

Sign in to follow this