You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ArtickWarspite

Should you Nelson?

47 comments in this topic

156 posts
3,371 battles

After picking up the Nelson, I'd like to share my thoughts on it after my somewhat limited use, so those who are undecided about spending their hard earned free xp can have a little more understanding as to what kind of ship this is. Here's the simple & uncomplicated version;

HE is good. A nice reliable source of damage.

AP is a bit meh, but is still useful without being spectacular.

AA is a little uninspiring

The citadel is easy to penetrate, but if you don't sail broadside like a good BB driver then you'll be ok. 

Repair party is outright awesome.

Turret traverse is good, though you'll need to step out a little wider in order to get the 3rd turret on target. (Use that on a case by case basis).

Speed is average, but will outrun a Colorado easily enough. Speed flag is always handy too. 

Steering mod is a useful upgrade to have. 

Will take heavy damage through the bow with any rifle 15" & up. Thankfully a lot of shots miss or hit the turrets.

Don't worry about fires. 

Melts quickly under focus fire. But every ship does so nothing new.

HP pool is reasonable for the repair party you have

Vigilance & concealment expert would be a recommended captain skill. Otherwise a vanilla BB captain build will be adequate.

I was worried about not liking it when handing over the free xp, but so far it's a lot of fun- despite not having great teams.

If you know how to drive a Battleship with any sort of competence, then you will make this work.

Enjoy!

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,859 battles
38 minutes ago, ArtickWarspite said:

but if you don't sail broadside (or blindly point your nose towards 15" guns or bigger) like a good BB driver

FTFY

980 posts
12,617 battles
10 minutes ago, ArchKongou said:

Still doubt to get her.Just buy her to free ur mind. Do it for Mandela.

Reveal hidden contents

I THINK YOU SHOULD GO OVER THERE AND COUNT SOMETHING

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
399 posts
14,977 battles

I'm liking it and BBs aren't my favoured ship type, generally. For me, it's the dispersion. Sure, you get the random shotgun shots but in general I find the groupings to be nice and tight and the AP performance has been pretty damn rewarding against cruisers. Match making has a big impact however, so you want those top tier games to be able to bully the enemy, otherwise you may just be making up the numbers and spamming HE and up tiered BBs.

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,182 battles

So, if you shouldn't point your nose towards 15"+ gunned BB's and shouldn't sail broadside to nearly any BB then...

What's the preferred tactic if you find yourself in a situation where you are confronting a BB with 15"+ guns and cannot disengage or seek cover.

I assume that angling is better here - where you're limiting the "flat on" strikes to your citadel from the front and sides.

Is this about it?

Tee

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,287 posts
50 minutes ago, admiral_tee said:

So, if you shouldn't point your nose towards 15"+ gunned BB's and shouldn't sail broadside to nearly any BB then...

What's the preferred tactic if you find yourself in a situation where you are confronting a BB with 15"+ guns and cannot disengage or seek cover.

I assume that angling is better here - where you're limiting the "flat on" strikes to your citadel from the front and sides.

Is this about it?

Tee

Angling is the only way.

You can deflect a good deal of damage if you do it right.

[LNA]
1,660 posts
10,447 battles
1 hour ago, LtDan_IceCream said:

Angling is the only way.

You can deflect a good deal of damage if you do it right.

Angling doesnt work against campy sniper bb that plagued the server, esp against a NC , as their shell will somewhat plunge down , hit bow upper and yay straight to citadel.

I had done it with a Nagato ffs and showing its ass drive backward is also a big no no as its butt is so soft and bouncy that shells has no problem penetrating.

Its like colorado, angling negate damage , but every now and then , you are hopeless, no matter what.

Baltimore can actually cit pen it at 6 or 7 km , i dont know what to say.

This ship is a one trick pony. You do what it wants, not what you want it to do, quite the samurai mindset.

372 posts
10,097 battles
2 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

Angling doesnt work against campy sniper bb that plagued the server, esp against a NC , as their shell will somewhat plunge down , hit bow upper and yay straight to citadel.

I had done it with a Nagato ffs and showing its ass drive backward is also a big no no as its butt is so soft and bouncy that shells has no problem penetrating.

Its like colorado, angling negate damage , but every now and then , you are hopeless, no matter what.

This ship is a one trick pony. You do what it wants, not what you want it to do, quite the samurai mindset.

That's the problem with T7 BBs, they can't angle effectively against AP.

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,287 posts
1 minute ago, legionary2099 said:

Your definitely right in it's play style.

But, it's pro's and con's weigh up pretty equal.

It's a BB of opportunity.

Choose the right times and the right opponents, and it will do well.......

[LNA]
1,660 posts
10,447 battles
14 minutes ago, Rear_Admiral_Sir_Dr_Pain said:

My shopping list still has a lot of ships on it before I ever have that amount of XP.  Peasants do it hard.

Nelson could be a budget choice for free players to try for a premium credit grinder. I see that on average , it make as much as a tier 8 premium.

While it doesnt enjoy borderline opness of the 63, it get to be in a great tier, void of tier X behemoths and is less campy in meta

Edited by legionary2099

372 posts
10,097 battles
1 hour ago, legionary2099 said:

Nelson could be a budget choice for free players to try for a premium credit grinder. I see that on average , it make as much as a tier 8 premium.

While it doesnt enjoy borderline opness of the 63, it get to be in a great tier, void of tier X behemoths and is less campy in meta

I thought it doesn't get any special credit bonus above being a T7 premium?

[LNA]
1,660 posts
10,447 battles
10 minutes ago, WongSongMing said:

I thought it doesn't get any special credit bonus above being a T7 premium?

Flamu showcase vid at the end i did see it gets a healthy near tier 8 pre level of credit though.

Beta Tester
908 posts
9 hours ago, Rear_Admiral_Sir_Dr_Pain said:

I might rethink my position on this.  I just got Saint-Louis and I do enjoy that nice new ship smell, until Yamato ruined it all.  But I've been finding T7 and even T8 to be just right.  As much as I want Henri IV it might now have to wait.

I just finished the charles. Line is boring as hell. I think im done with the line. Whats so special about the [content removed]

Inappropriate. Post edited.

~amade

Edited by amade

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles
9 hours ago, SlamUez said:

I just finished the charles. Line is boring as hell. I think im done with the line. Whats so special about the [content removed]

you run down shimakazes and [content removed] them

Inappropriate. Post edited, user already sanctioned.

~amade

Edited by amade

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
399 posts
14,977 battles
40 minutes ago, SlamUez said:

I just finished the charles. Line is boring as hell. I think im done with the line. Whats so special about the HIV. 

I really liked Charles but had shitty luck with it, St Louis just isn't doing it for me though.