You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BudderQT

How to hit ships that are sailing diagonally?

10 comments in this topic

1 post
675 battles

Basically what the title says.

Mainly using BB's and their spotter aircraft consumable. My shots always go high or low, never hit the ship I'm aiming at.

Or should I not bother and focus on enemy BB's sailing broadside on and not diagonally.

[1AN-E]
303 posts
3,837 battles

its easier to shoot without spotter unless there behind or coming round an island if you cant guess look at there smoke stack if its full burn aim a fair bit infront if there going slow or medium pace aim directly or just a littel ahead it also depends on distant as well so take that into account 

Super Tester
7,512 posts
7,978 battles

@BudderQT

When you are using a spotter plane to shoot outside of range, that means your shells will take a lot longer to reach destination and enemy will have a long time to readjust or dodge. It is not easy to shoot moving objects with spotters anyway since the lead calculation is sort of difficult to do from on top. Spotters are effective to use when enemy is camping in one spot or slowly moving.

To hit a diagonal target, you need to plot an imaginary line of their ships and shoot accordingly. Usually, when enemy is braodside, you take your normal lead. When enemy start moving away, you start elevating your cursor and start reducing the lead. When they are moving towards you, you depress your cursor and in the same way, keep reducing the lead.

Alternatively, I suggest you use Type 7 Static crosshair. They have diagonal lines as well.

Honest opinion, as long as there are closer targets nearby, you should never focus on something too far away, unless its pretty low health and you are sure that you can remove him. On a second note, as a BB, your primary focus should be enemy DD and cruisers depending on what is closer. I would rather shoot at an angled cruiser than an almost angled battleship. You need to reduce enemy ship count fast, and shooting BBs does not help with that.

372 posts
10,085 battles
40 minutes ago, BudderQT said:

Basically what the title says.

Mainly using BB's and their spotter aircraft consumable. My shots always go high or low, never hit the ship I'm aiming at.

Or should I not bother and focus on enemy BB's sailing broadside on and not diagonally.

You could try out the direction indicator mod in aslain's mod pack. Shows the direction of the ship your targeting on the minimap making it easier to see if their moving towards or away from you. 

1,105 posts

scenario is a good place to learn aiming at diagonal ship.

btw, if you are in Myogi just SKIP and SKIP to Kongo ASAP ! Myogi is crap!

but if you are in Kongo, dont use spotter plane.... unless you know there is some camping enemy didnt moving...

and if you are still practicing, everytime you shoot. just shot one by one. you can see where is the shell landing and adjust the aim.

other advice : PLAY CV....

Edited by Skarhabek

64 posts
3,175 battles

With a spotter plane the direction should be relatively obvious, but aside from the technical 'this is the point to lead your shells to' you also need to predict what they will do before your shells will arrive. That part takes observation, intuition and experience.

Information is a huge percentage of the game, I also suggest you check the mechanics of some of the tier 1 skills as a hint to thinking about why your enemy may have responded in a certain way.

2,214 posts
13,673 battles

If you ask me it's broken. Shots overshoot then undershoot on a target moving in a straight line. I am certain I have aimed shots that have fallen short, so I have aimed even higher, and they have fallen even shorter. Makes no sense based on the way it's supposed to work.

Edited by keskparane

1,479 posts

When I shoot with a spotter plane, or on diagonal enemies, I pretend I'm looking out of a fishbowl, so the vision looks warped like that to me, so I try to compensate for that warp as well as distance, angle, time of flight..

Doesn't always work, but its the o ly thing I can think of, I use the default cross hair...