You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
GeneralGrant

Battleships: Fire Prevention or Concealment Expert?

18 comments in this topic

55 posts
3,922 battles

Is Fire Prevention or Concealment Expert more useful to battleships as a 2nd (or 3rd) 4-point skill?  

For me, Advanced Firing Training is an automatic first 4-point skill on a battleship.  All battleships, not just German ones, could do with better secondaries and AA radius.  German BBs of Tier 7 and above then take Manual Secondaries as their 2nd 4-pointer.

However, when getting to second 4-pointers (or 3rd on German Tier 7+ BBs) the choice isn't clear-cut.  Fire Prevention would seem an obvious choice for BBs but you can largely achieve the same result through good management of the Damage Control Party consumable.   

Concealment Expert is not an obvious choice for BBs but it is very useful.  If you already have decent stealth, eg Warspite, by adding this you can sneak up on cruisers, unleash a broadside and then disappear after 20 seconds.  It is also useful for when you want to get your secondaries into action, as you narrow the gap between being seen and the enemy being in secondary range, so receive less fire before unleashing the secondaries.

Even long-range snipers with poor stealth, eg Japanese BBs, could do with an extra 2 or so kms of concealment.

Thoughts?

Edited by GeneralGrant

381 posts
9,957 battles

Below t8, FP.

At t8 and above, CE - and as a first 4 pts skill.

Last week I bought the FdG and tried FP as my only t4 skill instead of CE in a tank build. All I received from that build is regret. After ~10 games I reset my captain and switched to CE. Feel much more comfortable so far. Can't believe that I made the mistake of not using concealment build at high tier again after all the horrible experience with a tank built Izumo.

162 posts
3,327 battles

For German BBs fire prevention is more worth because your armor will be bouncing a lot of AP rounds if angled correctly, so most ships will resort to burning you out.

For American BBs their concealment is surprisingly a lot better than most of their counterparts (I mean a 11.8km det range on CE NC wow.....) so CE helps in repositioning and surprise strikes

For IJN BBs I would think fire prevention is better but I'm not so sure, particularly when it comes to anything below Yamato (I still hate that lolpen gun)
Not so sure about other BBs though

Edit: Still better to combine both skills. Secondary build only works on German BBs

Edited by fighter9374

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,972 battles

Find out what suits your personal play-style.

But as a general rule.

KMBB - Fire Prev

USNBB - Conceal

IJNBB - Fire Prev

And it looks like UKBB will benefit most from Conceal, maybe Fire Prev as a later skill.

Beta Tester
106 posts
2,843 battles
12 hours ago, GeneralGrant said:

For me, Advanced Firing Training is an automatic first 4-point skill on a battleship.  All battleships, not just German ones, could do with better secondaries and AA radius.  German BBs of Tier 7 and above then take Manual Secondaries as their 2nd 4-pointer.

Thoughts?

We have totally opposite points of view, very interesting. I have both Concealment Expert and Fire Prevention on all of my BB captains. In fact, all of my captains have CE, no matter the ship. For me, concealment is the single most important thing in this game.

I used to take AFT on my BBs, but after the FP buff I replaced it with FP. Reasons:

1. AA radius bonus is kinda wasted now that high tier CVs are rare. Nowadays I only meet CVs in maybe 1 out of 5 games.

2. I never cared about secondaries.

3. The FP buff where it now reduces burnable spots on your BB from 4 to 3. It doesn't sound much on paper, but the effect is very noticeable in actual matches. I feel much less vulnerable to fire ever since that buff.

Super Tester
7,577 posts
8,001 battles

Personally I like my BB to be seen so that my team's cruisers can cover more distance before getting focused. So I do not like CE on battleships. Besides 4 points are a lot on something that you don't really need on a BB. So I would say go for defensive ones or anti AA ones. I believe taking CE is selfish play on BB.

I have grinded failed my way to Montana and Yamato and none of my BBs ever had CE. I think I am going to make Missouri an exception because she carries RADAR.

Just my opinion, but I'm just an average BB player.

[AUSNZ]
420 posts
16,052 battles

Up until T6 for the 10th point I would use fire prevention then for T7-10 I would go for CE first then Fire prevention for 14th point. 

105 posts
13,354 battles
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:02 AM, GeneralGrant said:

Is Fire Prevention or Concealment Expert more useful to battleships as a 2nd (or 3rd) 4-point skill?  

However, when getting to second 4-pointers (or 3rd on German Tier 7+ BBs) the choice isn't clear-cut.  Fire Prevention would seem an obvious choice for BBs but you can largely achieve the same result through good management of the Damage Control Party consumable.   

Concealment Expert is not an obvious choice for BBs but it is very useful.  If you already have decent stealth, eg Warspite, by adding this you can sneak up on cruisers, unleash a broadside and then disappear after 20 seconds.  It is also useful for when you want to get your secondaries into action, as you narrow the gap between being seen and the enemy being in secondary range, so receive less fire before unleashing the secondaries.

Even long-range snipers with poor stealth, eg Japanese BBs, could do with an extra 2 or so kms of concealment.

Thoughts?

this is my Bismarck captain skill...look at the screen capture below...for your references

shot-17.08.20_15.48.08-0171.jpg

1,105 posts
45 minutes ago, Exit_Battle said:

this is my Bismarck captain skill...look at the screen capture below...for your references

shot-17.08.20_15.48.08-0171.jpg

lol SUPERINTENDENT IS MUSS! MUSS FAYA ALART!

but i dont think basic survivability is worth it... better take fire prevention for only 1 point different. and why take expert loader?

Bismarck is burned easily in the middle section LOL

i myself use Yolo build

1. catapult plane +1.... for detecting torp when hydro running out or combat air a little

2. yep expert marksman to faster repositioning turret when yolo 

3. super yolo, add more hydro, plane and more repair party for yolo

4. +20% AA range and Secondary..... plus flag 11.3 km secondary for phew phew

another plane is taking manual AA..... manual AA

those pesky mosquito with AP bomb is harmfull for Bismarck

[151ST]
Beta Tester
21 posts
3,404 battles

Honestly, it greatly depends on your play style and the tier you are in.  This IFHE meta isn't a great place for a BB with the sustained fire from Belfasts, Kutuzovs and alike.

Therefore I highly recommend the synergy of Concealment and Fire prevention coupled with basics of survivability and high alert.  Add this to the right flags and modules and you have a very tanky and stealthy headache for your enemy.

Check out Flamu's channel for more information on the various builds and styles.

I learned to value this combination in my Arkansas Beta.

59996b1f50c6b_SignatureOrmos_AU.jpg.153224d9038a9ff2514b569eaa6e227c.jpg

326 posts
10,550 battles

My KMF BBs line.

Yes, none of my captain using CE (including Thea, I love her - Graf Spee ain't suit to her so I place her to bigger ships :fish_cute_2:).

Most of them combo with BFT/AFT/MS or BoS/AFT/MS (extra point for Vigilance in case I need Torpedobeat).

shot-17_08.20_20_07.57-0868.thumb.jpg.3206e83df71dddd2d2899d5131ccad64.jpgshot-17_08.20_20_09.05-0749.thumb.jpg.1a8ebd0f2b67e87e370fbb474307c268.jpgshot-17_08.20_20_10.37-0276.thumb.jpg.6a84d702488db1c4e7acb1f5026a3f31.jpg

Playing CE on KMF BBs pretty weird for me & I don't like it. I don't like sitting in the back at the corner of the map & being an idiot snipe-like-a-scrub. 

I love my ship being notice every corner of the map; because badass always being notice & enjoy kiting the enemies & drag them to my allied while, opps wreaking peoples day with my secondaries. (I love farm achievement especially  "Dreadnought" , "Fireproof"& "Close Quarters Expert" )

For those who camp & shoot me while inside their smoke, I just shoot them back and trust my instinct (watch the firing source & re-position my guns to it).

So far, my build on KMF BBs captain works fine for me & I  hardly change them. Most importantly, u need have a really good teamwork & always play the objective in the game. 

==========================================================================================================

As for my USN BB's (the only USN BB's I have was USS Missouri & I love her), I 'll put my Steven Seagal captain with AA power creep build along with concealment - BFT/AFT/CE+Manual AA. Adrenaline Rush really useful in case I need it in knife-fight with enemy BBs.

Most of USN BB's have a great AA, so its worth to put ur captain with AA skill build.

It's fun to tier apart enemy planes who foolish enough to pick u up & surprise the enemy DD's since Missouri have freaking-awesome-radar. 

shot-17_08.20_20_14.47-0584.thumb.jpg.bbbd643f4aea4ea6805f6f78f3a44b88.jpg

Edited by ArchKongou

[151ST]
1,014 posts
4,526 battles
10 hours ago, Ormos_AU said:

Honestly, it greatly depends on your play style and the tier you are in.  This IFHE meta isn't a great place for a BB with the sustained fire from Belfasts, Kutuzovs and alike.

Therefore I highly recommend the synergy of Concealment and Fire prevention coupled with basics of survivability and high alert.  Add this to the right flags and modules and you have a very tanky and stealthy headache for your enemy.

Check out Flamu's channel for more information on the various builds and styles.

I learned to value this combination in my Arkansas Beta.

59996b1f50c6b_SignatureOrmos_AU.jpg.153224d9038a9ff2514b569eaa6e227c.jpg

Yeah I tend to agree.

Although Fuso/Nagato I don't even bother with CE, just run em tanky.

The CE choice on BBs is entirely up to the player and greatly depends on playstyle and Captain skill level.

I don't see enough CVs for me to even glance at secondary/AA build outside of high tier KM BBs.

This is compounded by the fact that ideally CL/As should protect you. If not, why are you on your own or not in a div?

Edited by S4pp3R

105 posts
13,354 battles
17 hours ago, Skarhabek said:

lol SUPERINTENDENT IS MUSS! MUSS FAYA ALART!

but i dont think basic survivability is worth it... better take fire prevention for only 1 point different. and why take expert loader?

Bismarck is burned easily in the middle section LOL

i myself use Yolo build

1. catapult plane +1.... for detecting torp when hydro running out or combat air a little

2. yep expert marksman to faster repositioning turret when yolo 

3. super yolo, add more hydro, plane and more repair party for yolo

4. +20% AA range and Secondary..... plus flag 11.3 km secondary for phew phew

another plane is taking manual AA..... manual AA

those pesky mosquito with AP bomb is harmfull for Bismarck

I have been 2x redistributed the capt point skill...i found my playstyle using BB suited that setup skill.....later another 4 points left is for AFT

Edited by Exit_Battle
misstypo

Beta Tester
486 posts
7,936 battles

I play aggressive in my Bismarck, go hard or go home.

Aft/bft/manual secondaries are a must, 11 km range is hilarious ! and adrenaline rush for faster reload 

Bos and faster dcc are also included. Don't use CE on it or Em as turrets turn fast enough.

It really comes down to your play style, each person and setup is different