You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
PGM991

deep water torpedo???

24 comments in this topic

1,126 posts

a torpedo that detection range are less than 1 km!?

(but most likely to pass underneath small ship like DD and some CA and hit only BB)

a new way to reduce BB over population?

---torpedo beat intensify---

Edited by PGM991

Beta Tester
213 posts
4,131 battles

Ignore how weird this torpedo is ( if it even exist )

Since we have "Running Depth" stat,  the next balance stat is ship's weight  (or Displacement ), may be ?

I wonder it could be spotted by plane.....

And I  don't see any info about it range and speed, while logically it should have lower speed and range than regular tor, i guess.....

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Think about it

How funny when anything that is not BB and CV trying to evade something that wont harm him at all

And by the time the think it wont harm him, the torpedoes are from other ships

435 posts
6,169 battles

What fool would equip them, wouldn’t everybody want to hit anything and every caboodle in the water, why would you equip torps that wouldn’t hit stray targets!

I can’t even beehive WG would suggest such dogma and assign their names to this lamebrain ideology.    

Edited by BuckleUpBones

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,972 battles

I'd rather use regular torps, but that being said... I imagine as soon as some BB players get hit by them there will be 50 threads on here complaining they are OP and should be removed from the game, make their reload time 5 years and give all BB's 150% torpedo bulge protection.

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,187 battles
7 hours ago, K135Blitzkrieg said:

Since we have "Running Depth" stat,  the next balance stat is ship's weight  (or Displacement ), may be ?

I wonder it could be spotted by plane.....

And I  don't see any info about it range and speed, while logically it should have lower speed and range than regular tor, i guess.....

I'd be very keen to see the algorithm used to work this out.

At best, they should only go by the wartime draft value, which is readily available for most designs. Not by displacement. Many factors impact ships draft, not just displacement.

Tee

[LNA]
1,671 posts
10,499 battles

The deep water concept while add in depth and complexity, make the fog of war even larger.

We already have a large playerbase who have little understanding of in depth mechanics and this will cause even more confusion on the battlefield.

It also make some ships being unfair by not getting hurt by these new torp. Cruisers for example some will get rekt by these while other will laugh it off.

You can set a few trick of shooting torp that will pass through lighter allies and nail targets in front of them , but it will piss your allies off who dont know if you have deep torps or not.

No , this is not user friendly at all and definitely a cause of all out rage who will get hit and who will not.

A tip for devs is to allow player to switch torp depth by a consumable and make the torp more visibly different.

1,498 posts
1 hour ago, Counterflak said:

..what BB over population? On other servers yes but here there is no such thing.

To any DD or cruiser player, even 1 BB in the game is "over population".

It stems from all the yuppies who like to push too hard too fast, without cover from their (sometimes) potato fleet, they charge out without a care, get citadeled or splattered, then Whinge about BB OP bla bla, nerf nerf etc...

If they thought first without charging flat out, about BB range, typical behavior, how slow & cumbersome they are, they should be able to survive & splatter us BBs... More minimap awareness is essential, as well as knowing your own ship, concealment, etc...

I'm forever trying to learn all this myself & practice it.... I wish more potatoes are too..

They should be happy about BBs, as they are more food for DD & cruiser..

Ordrazz

Beta Tester
609 posts
6,785 battles
9 hours ago, K135Blitzkrieg said:

It definitely existed, in that it's just a standard torpedo - you could set running depth on them before they launched. Deeper torps also do more damage in real life (so long as they aren't too deep), since they are more likely to break the back of the target ship.

I think the idea is a good one, but obviously BB captains won't like it since it's a specific weapon to target them only.  Whether they can get it to work is the question, it is clearly going to be basically impossible to avoid a spread as a BB for a set of torps that have half the spotting distance of normal torps.  So they have the potential to be simultaneously completely ineffective (they miss a lot of ships by going right under them) and very strong at the same time.

Having said that, if a BB captain spots a set of torps that are about to hit them, the BB captain shouldn't be able to avoid them in my opinion.  At that point, the BB has already lost the torp minigame - the DD has to do a great deal to get a spread to that point, and if the BB captain has so failed in their awareness of their map position and the possible locations of DD's and potential torp spreads that they get surprised by a spread - then they deserve to take huge damage.  Complaining about not being able to avoid torps if you are only spotting a well positioned spread when they get within their spotting range is missing the idea of how to play a BB against torp boats entirely - the idea is to avoid them before you see them!

As for the deep water torps, I would rather see them switchable in game - when you press the button to change the spread width, instead it changes the spread depth. Given that in real life it was just a matter of setting them on the torpedo control panel before you launch them, it's no different to setting the spread width.

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,868 battles
3 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

As for the deep water torps, I would rather see them switchable in game - when you press the button to change the spread width, instead it changes the spread depth. Given that in real life it was just a matter of setting them on the torpedo control panel before you launch them, it's no different to setting the spread width.

If that happens, I think the ones who get the highest level of PTSD would be the DDs themselves. Imagine a dd firing two types of torps at the same target:

1st wave: Oh shi--- hahaha deep water, thank goodness!

2nd wave (that comes immediately after): Whatev--- Booom! Back to port... :fish_boom:

Edited by Admiral_Neptulussus

1,126 posts
35 minutes ago, Admiral_Neptulussus said:

If that happens, I think the ones who get the highest level of PTSD would be the DDs themselves. Imagine a dd firing two types of torps at the same target:

1st wave: Oh shi--- hahaha deep water, thank goodness!

2nd wave (that comes immediately after): Whatev--- Booom! Back to port... :fish_boom:

not possible since switching torp have to reload whole set just like switch from AP to HE (except 2 DD lunch differnce torp... or worst, they have to pick torp setup before the match and can't change mid-match)

may be the whole idea never came out at all.

Beta Tester
609 posts
6,785 battles
27 minutes ago, PGM991 said:

not possible since switching torp have to reload whole set just like switch from AP to HE (except 2 DD lunch differnce torp... or worst, they have to pick torp setup before the match and can't change mid-match)

may be the whole idea never came out at all.

I don't see why - when you switch from AP to HE you are literally removing the AP shell and then putting an HE shell in the gun.  When you change from normal to deep water torps they are the same torpedoes, you just turn a dial to set the running depth deeper.

Beta Tester
359 posts
7,415 battles
5 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

I think the idea is a good one, but obviously BB captains won't like it since it's a specific weapon to target them only.  Whether they can get it to work is the question, it is clearly going to be basically impossible to avoid a spread as a BB for a set of torps that have half the spotting distance of normal torps.  So they have the potential to be simultaneously completely ineffective (they miss a lot of ships by going right under them) and very strong at the same time.

Assuming the normal spotting mechanic is involved which means that once a torp is spotted it remains visible then this would mean a DD's role of early detection will be even more important. 

Further to this I can see this becoming a niche thing for RN DD shadowing ships and firing torps in a single line, with a detection of less than 1km there will be no avoiding a line of these undetected torpedoes heading for any BB in game.

64 posts
3,175 battles

I guess they will only be added to the Pan-Asia line for the time being. I wonder if TAS or HAS neuters the detectability advantage. That would still make it challenging to get torps onto the likes of the Germans.

Switchable + TRB would be a potentially game breaking combination.

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,868 battles
43 minutes ago, Epicurus_ said:

Assuming the normal spotting mechanic is involved which means that once a torp is spotted it remains visible then this would mean a DD's role of early detection will be even more important. 

Further to this I can see this becoming a niche thing for RN DD shadowing ships and firing torps in a single line, with a detection of less than 1km there will be no avoiding a line of these undetected torpedoes heading for any BB in game.

Would be PTSD inducing if the torps will only be spotted after it slide out of surface detection range for 20 seconds, and being immune to plane spotting (due to having less wake and being deep underwater).

This might spark an even bigger blue murder screaming from BB players if these torps also ignore TDS (IDK if the keel of the ships are also protected by TDS or not).

Edited by Admiral_Neptulussus

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,868 battles
6 minutes ago, Epicurus_ said:

Sorry I can't think what TDS refers to?

Torpedo Defense System, a mechanic that reduces the torpedo damage whenever the torpedo hits the designed torpedo bulges/belts. The reduction can be next to nothing, or up to 55% for the Yamato.

Alpha Tester
1,638 posts
7,230 battles

Will they run aground in shallow water, as you would expect them to?

In b4 BBs camping in strategic places.

Beta Tester
609 posts
6,785 battles
22 minutes ago, AntifoulAwl said:

They should, they physically will be further under the water, so they won't be able to pass as close to land as normal depth torps.

Beta Tester
359 posts
7,415 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Neptulussus said:

Torpedo Defense System, a mechanic that reduces the torpedo damage whenever the torpedo hits the designed torpedo bulges/belts. The reduction can be next to nothing, or up to 55% for the Yamato.

Thank you.:Smile_honoring:

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,868 battles
53 minutes ago, AntifoulAwl said:

Where the BB can go through is where these torpedoes can go through and hit BBs.