Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
fighter9374

Saipan and fighter 'bush-whacking' tactics

15 comments in this topic

162 posts
3,307 battles

Okay so I just got my t7 USN CV, the Ranger.

Yay I thought, finally more planes and groups to play with.

After a bunch of games with it stock and my captain still undergoing retraining, I am completely exasperated. Every one of my match-ups seems to be with the Saipan, and every one of those players seems to just decide to bush-whack my fighter groups.

Oh, and in case you were wondering what bush-whack means, it means one of their fighter group strafes into a dogfight, while the other group just strafes out of said dogfight at the last possible moment.

Now the problem is that Saipan doesn't lose a plane strafing out of a dogfight, so it becomes onesided, really fast. Doesn't help that I'm still stuck at t6 fighters with my captain skills non-operable

Some advice would be nice, at least until I can get my captain retrained and my fighter group tiered up

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Use patiance to go trough tier 7 and jump to tier 8 

Or

Use money to skip tier 7 which is the most toxic tier in the game (already give enough disease to ranked battle)

162 posts
3,307 battles
7 minutes ago, Harpoon01 said:

Use patiance to go trough tier 7 and jump to tier 8 

Or

Use money to skip tier 7 which is the most toxic tier in the game (already give enough disease to ranked battle)

Wat money?

Also running low on patience here...........

346 posts
25 minutes ago, fighter9374 said:

After a bunch of games with it stock and my captain still undergoing retraining, I am completely exasperated. Every one of my match-ups seems to be with the Saipan, and every one of those players seems to just decide to bush-whack my fighter groups.

Oh, and in case you were wondering what bush-whack means, it means one of their fighter group strafes into a dogfight, while the other group just strafes out of said dogfight at the last possible moment.

Now the problem is that Saipan doesn't lose a plane strafing out of a dogfight, so it becomes onesided, really fast. Doesn't help that I'm still stuck at t6 fighters with my captain skills non-operable

Some advice would be nice, at least until I can get my captain retrained and my fighter group tiered up

Or you could wait for that CV buff that's going to come some day

162 posts
3,307 battles
6 minutes ago, BravaZulu296 said:

Or you could wait for that CV buff that's going to come some day

'going to come some day'

Yeah right since when does WG ever deliver on time?

346 posts
16 minutes ago, fighter9374 said:

'going to come some day'

Yeah right since when does WG ever deliver on time?

That's why I said some day :)

It's a "near future update", I've been playing 6-8 battles per week on my Lexington I am 3/4 of the way to Essex, I don't know if I'll get Essex or the CV load-out change first. I don't know how bad it is to be playing ranger now since back when I was playing ranger the was no "strafe out of dogfights" thing. I would recommend you upgrade to T7 Fighters (so that you can enjoy better strafes), then get 2nd hull which gives you 73 planes in the reserve (very useful), then get either 202 or Lexington, get 013 if you wish but the chances that you will be able to kill something is quite low thanks to Saipan having T9 planes that are like jets at T7 with alot of team"mates" giving away your position and the position of your planes to the enemy just because you have no fighter planes.

Edited by BravaZulu296

162 posts
3,307 battles
1 minute ago, BravaZulu296 said:

That's why I said some day :)

It's a "near future update", I've been playing 6-8 battles per week on my Lexington am I and 3/4 of the way to Essex, I don't know if I'll get Essex or the CV load-out change first. I don't know how bad it is to be playing ranger now since back when I was playing ranger the was no "strafe out of dogfights" thing. I would recommend you upgrade to T7 Fighters (so that you can enjoy better strafes), then get 2nd hull which gives you 73 planes in the reserve (very useful), then get either 202 or Lexington, get 013 if you wish but the chances that you will be able to kill something is quite low thanks to Saipan having T9 planes that are like jets at T7 with alot of team"mates" giving away your position and the position of your planes to the enemy just because you have no fighter planes.

I used free exp on 202 format but it's not helping much.

Sucks cos I can't get exp very easily and a lot of players on my team are ranting at me for not covering their asses from the sky cancer

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,557 battles
57 minutes ago, fighter9374 said:

there's a reason they put saipan on the same level of "OP" as belfast...

the best advice i can give you is to either,

A: take a div of T7 AA sheeps and fish the frack out of the enemy team

B. free XP your way to the lex(where you still get screwed over)

C. buy a saipan(if you cant beat them...)

1,105 posts

there is a counter to do it, but it require "No Lag" and better key management

first, never stick your plane. just keep it distance so your fighter never get strafed in one shot

second, when you are in dogfight and enemy saipan try strafe you, you strafe the incoming fighter FIRST....

third, why dont you try too fooling the player by using the same tactic?

if you running AS loadout on USN CV, YOUR BEST TARGET IS ENEMY CV. snipe 2 dive bomber to enemy CV, 1 hover, and 1 bombing cause fire.....

if the enemy CV use repair party, bomb again....

but if enemy fighter is closing, just throw away the bomb. also se your fighter to cover the bomber. Saipan wont win againts ranger AS fighter. 

conclusion: just kill saipan with DB or just bring terror to it, making it useless againts surface ship.

note:

- work againts strike saipan, againts AS saipan just protect your fleet from single saipan dive bomber

- there is actualy a unicum player playing saipan, no matter what you do you cannt win. that is why Saipan is OP......

my another advice is "PLAY IJN CV"

1,340 posts
8,832 battles

Not much to say really. The Saipan is now considered one of the most OP ships in the game, at least when it comes to CVs.

Either grit your teeth and grind through it, free xp through, or just be play it in coop.

If you have to grind through the Ranger, my only advice would be to get the hull upgrade asap for more planes, get the better fighters, use 2-0-2 and pray that you don't meet a Saipan, or that if you meet one, he is an incompetent CV player.

Sorry I can't help you much here because I already grinded past the Ranger and Hiryu back before exit-strafes were introduced. Saipans were more manageable back then because you could at least bait and trap their planes over friendly AA to give your fighters an edge, but now you can't do that as long as the enemy Saipan is semi-decent.

326 posts
10,519 battles

As Saipan onwer, here some tips I can give to you.

To defeat the Saipan:

Get urself a Saipan 

or....

always tag team with friendly ship with great AA to defend or kill Saipan's plane  - learn how to lure & bait their planes (although u let ur friendly ships to kill them or strafe them when they ain't notice)

Saipan only have 4 plane squadrons (3-0-1 / 2-2-0) & only 4 fighter planes in each squadron. Most Saipan player will wait for opportunities, scouting at beginning of the game to save their plane & waiting for their enemy making mistake especially those who try YOLO. Their main dish will be enemy DD's or YOLO botes. Use this weakness to launch surprise attack at beginning of the game (Bait them with 1 or ur fighter or dive bomber squadron at mid-map while the other squadron do surprise attack ).

Remember to put Dogfight expert and Expert Rear Gunner when u in tier 7 CV to decrease ur chance from losing ur plane.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, it's really fun to rekt enemy CV & DD with Saipan (especially when when u help them to get free "Detonation" achievement in the game .

Spoiler

shot-16_07.16_13_10.18-0108.thumb.jpg.c1c78d9e729dea4254d51d167fa8e000.jpg

shot-16_07.17_10_16.38-0110.thumb.jpg.3ac597221b80b0912edd0f11f28950d1.jpg

shot-16_07.28_19_52.37-0551.thumb.jpg.0b2f9bff514a1b6a093f4f56773d2e1d.jpg

At the same time, I do hate it when enemy side have a good Saipan player while I'm using small botes or BB's.

Hmmm....  quite contradiction. Heh  

P/s: Not really play CV anymore, since enjoy playing real botes rather than planes.

Edited by ArchKongou

1,105 posts
11 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Play after 2AM. All the good players go to sleep by then.

at 5 AM in my time, LOL 1 AFK enterprise and 1 AFK NC... free arsonist... but fail liquidator, 6 torp hit NO FLOODING.... sheeeeeeet

if i realize earlier i can get more kill, also my team win so fast... i want to deny one of my team but its breaking the EULA.

#note: make sure you dont sleep when playing WoWs

13 hours ago, ArchKongou said:

learn how to lure & bait their planes (although u let ur friendly ships to kill them or strafe them when they ain't notice)

sssstttttt hush hush, best advice ever.......

also work when saipan is busy to torp your allies, its fighter on another flank is got AFK

Sign in to follow this