legionary2099

HSF Harekaze , a tsundere too hard to court ?

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

26 posts in this topic

Just got my hands on Harekaze with my sad little salary from part time. While she is fun and all , i have serious problem getting her to do something useful.

Her torps just seem to slip through almost any ships ; 62 knots + 1.6 km detect range really make these seem rather pointless as i had a single torp hit once every three match.

The guns , while very effective against dd , has too many problem. the 127mm IJN guns are the best at taking on anything that is not dd, 100mm is best at shredding dd but little else and US 127mm jst doesnt have the DPM to back it up.

Also , the ship seem to be extremely prone to get something knocked out , even more so than other dd

These combined make my damage per game and win rate looks dubious if not questionable ?

I really need advices on how to spec her cpt and how to play her.

I intend to keep 100mm , ditch IFHE and use AP to combat dd , use torps against everything else. Does anyone has a different way to use it ?

P/s : I missed the HSF Spee due to no money to buy it , will there be 2nd chance ?

Posted (edited)

If you are looking for guides, you can read LittleWhiteMouse's Harekaze review on the US forums.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/130840-premium-ship-review-hsf-harekaze/

It is quite extensive, especially when it comes to Captain Skill choices.

Also Notser has a video review on YouTube. You can check out his recommended skills and stuff there. Like you, he favours the 100mm guns, though he does take IFHE and DE for those though.

Personally I use the USN guns, and play the Harekaze like a torpedo boat. So PM, LS, TAE and CE. With the next 3 points I took SE to buff her rather low HP pool. For the 100mm guns, I just stick my Akizuki captain in her, so PT, LS, DE, CE and IFHE. I might pick up SE once I get enough points.

Edited by Thyaliad

Sadly you need to get closer than 10km for your torps to be good. At max-ish range the spread and detection allows even BB's to sail out of harms way. The good news is, if torps do hit...they hurt!

I also like to use the 5.4km detect ability to slowly creep into a cap, go 1/4 speed and try to spot enemy DD's while I remain invisible. Letting my allies shoot at them while I remain undetected.

You play her like Kagerou i suppose

Either way she is as bad as current IJNDD meta at general

Play it like a bit less aggressive Akizuki. You need at least 14 captain to do well in it. Use ifhe with 100mm guns. Use AP on bigger target superstructure once you set fire. This ship has epic concealment like kagero, utilize it to sneak up on dds. When there are only big ships, stalk them in 6km for easy torping.

I play her somewhat mixed between Ducky and Kagero. 

The thing that me annoyed most is her short range ( why the heck all 3 gun have same range) and her short range AA is totally useless (though her 10cm quite good to bully tier 6 CV's planes from 5 km away)

but seriously IFHE is not worth for 10cm gun, in any case i will go for CE and AFT ( plus MFAAA for meme :cap_book:)

Without IFHE, I don't think you can win DD brawl. It's not for farming damage from bigger ships. And AFT is for long range spamming, which is utterly useless for non vmf DDs.

I believe that the Harekaze really needs the type93 Mod2 torpedoes that the Kagero has. Her current torpedoes aren't as consistent as the Kageros due to the speed. Since she is a Kagero class DD shouldn't she have those scary as hell Kagero torps. I sometimes find myself questioning should I either play the Kagero or the Harekaze as even though the Harekaze has adequate guns, she is still a torpedo boat at heart.

20 minutes ago, kabur88 said:

I believe that the Harekaze really needs the type93 Mod2 torpedoes that the Kagero has. Her current torpedoes aren't as consistent as the Kageros due to the speed. Since she is a Kagero class DD shouldn't she have those scary as hell Kagero torps. I sometimes find myself questioning should I either play the Kagero or the Harekaze as even though the Harekaze has adequate guns, she is still a torpedo boat at heart.

well, she got better armament than Kagerou,

it would be P2W if she got EVERYTHING better than the same type of ship in the normal tech tree

I wouldn't mind the Harekaze get the Type 93 Mod 2 torpedoes for the A hull at least. With the Type 93 Mod 2 torps for the A hull, at least players who want the stock Kagerou experience can use the A hull for it.

As it stands, A hull Harekaze is actually worse than a stock Kagerou, as it has less HP, less AA, and even worse torps (the Harekaze torps are the Kagerou's stock Type 90 Mod 1 torps but they have longer reload from the Kagerou's top Type 93 Mod 2 torps for some reason). There is really no reason to pick the A hull when B and C are so much better.

I don't think the B and C hulls need the Type 93 Mod 2s, but I feel they should at least get the slightly faster reload the Type 90 Mod 1s have.

23 hours ago, Harpoon01 said:

it would be P2W if she got EVERYTHING better than the same type of ship in the normal tech tree

She doesn't need to have everything better, just the same torps as the type 90 mod 2 torps that the upgraded Kagero has. In all honesty I'm starting to somehow regret paying for her as the stock torps are just lame, especially in the numerous T10 games that you find yourself in. I mean thy're 112sec reload yet travel just as fast as the stock 102sec reload Kagero torps. Wargaming should at least give her the type 93 mod 2 upgraded Kagero torps. At the way she is, I'd rather play the Kagero instead. At least your torps can do actually do something in a T10 game.

56 minutes ago, kabur88 said:

She doesn't need to have everything better, just the same torps as the type 90 mod 2 torps that the upgraded Kagero has. In all honesty I'm starting to somehow regret paying for her as the stock torps are just lame, especially in the numerous T10 games that you find yourself in. I mean thy're 112sec reload yet travel just as fast as the stock 102sec reload Kagero torps. Wargaming should at least give her the type 93 mod 2 upgraded Kagero torps. At the way she is, I'd rather play the Kagero instead. At least your torps can do actually do something in a T10 game.

Or at least drop her torp's detect range a bit. Give em less time to manuver

On 8/9/2017 at 7:59 PM, Harpoon01 said:

The Belfast is P2W. Harekaze is more like pay to have anime voices in a stock kagero

Just now, kabur88 said:

The Belfast is P2W. Harekaze is more like pay to have anime voices in a stock kagero

you get 3 akizuki guns and kagero concealment

54 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

you get 3 akizuki guns and kagero concealment

But Kagero stock health and stock torps. You can't truly gun fight like the Akizuki nor can you torp as well as the upgraded Kagero.

17 minutes ago, kabur88 said:

But Kagero stock health and stock torps. You can't truly gun fight like the Akizuki nor can you torp as well as the upgraded Kagero.

It give you a balanced alternative with no excessive or underpowered arm in a stealthy platform.

The gun is low in sustained dpm , but having 5.4km camo allow you to creep dangerously close to a dd to torp and then gun it down.

That camo make the puny 3x 127mm US guns dangerous , and the 3x2 100mm extremely so if you find a dd at half health.

Kagero cannot win gunfight, but this thing can persuade enemy dd that chasing it is a very bad idea.

14 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

It give you a balanced alternative with no excessive or underpowered arm in a stealthy platform.

The gun is low in sustained dpm , but having 5.4km camo allow you to creep dangerously close to a dd to torp and then gun it down.

That camo make the puny 3x 127mm US guns dangerous , and the 3x2 100mm extremely so if you find a dd at half health.

Kagero cannot win gunfight, but this thing can persuade enemy dd that chasing it is a very bad idea.

At least give it better torp concealment or the upgraded Kagero torps to at least make it more capable and competitive in T10 matches.

I gave in about 60 games in after getting nowhere, and re-skilled a captain specifically for Harekaze (lol not 3 pt Misaki)

I've tried the 10cm and 5in guns but keep ending up going back to the 12.7cm guns. The 5 in's reliability is questionable, 10cm is really circumstantial and a bit hairy without the deep build. The 12.7's just seem to bang the most consistently (damage, crits and fires) but I may be biased as I have used the IJN standard DD guns a lot.

With the campaign drop it probably wasn't the choice time to be playing much DD but making positive progress with a torp focus build, although the torps aren't nearly reliable enough. It's like an inferior up-tier Shiratsuyu.

I'm having the same issues. Unless you torp smoke where they can't see them, you'll only hit water. Those torpedoes have a flashing light on them visible from Saturn.

Flipped to 100mm guns tonight after thinking about the build. The AP is alright, it's certainly a credible threat to DD's forcing them in or out, and is relatively effective for harassing cruisers when the opportunity arises.

TRB seems to be a relatively workable option, but a decent number of allies freak out and run away when you play TRB tactics. Aside from that this build seems to be ok, allows me to suppress enemy DD's enough to get decent torp angles, and therefore also resulting in relatively consistent number of torp hits.

Probably the next step here for me is to adjust the build for higher survivability.

9 hours ago, phutev said:

Flipped to 100mm guns tonight after thinking about the build. The AP is alright, it's certainly a credible threat to DD's forcing them in or out, and is relatively effective for harassing cruisers when the opportunity arises.

TRB seems to be a relatively workable option, but a decent number of allies freak out and run away when you play TRB tactics. Aside from that this build seems to be ok, allows me to suppress enemy DD's enough to get decent torp angles, and therefore also resulting in relatively consistent number of torp hits.

Probably the next step here for me is to adjust the build for higher survivability.

The 100mm guns are the best in my opinion as you have the best DPM with them. The guns are good in tight situations or when you're in a smoke and are in range of enemies, but at 9.4km range, it's a bit of a hard situation especially with radar. The torps however are the best way for you to deal damage, it's just that at their speed an detectibility they aren't that consistent.

I don't see it as straightforward as just the DPM count, the 12.7's are really consistent at doing damage whenever, whereas the 100mm's are definitely strong early, weak late. It's more down to how you sauce and play the ship.

As a package I think they're a bit of the ugly duckling being exactly the same as the Kagero configuration, it would be more of an equal choice if the guns were closer to Yuugumo spec.

43 minutes ago, phutev said:

I don't see it as straightforward as just the DPM count, the 12.7's are really consistent at doing damage whenever, whereas the 100mm's are definitely strong early, weak late. It's more down to how you sauce and play the ship.

As a package I think they're a bit of the ugly duckling being exactly the same as the Kagero configuration, it would be more of an equal choice if the guns were closer to Yuugumo spec.

The 100mms have a hard time doing anything with their HE, and the AP will overpen dds and get deflected at even the slightest angle
I personally prefer the American 127mms and the IJN 127mms, though they do seem to disappoint quite a bit (Then again I'm used to smacking ships in my USN ships so yeah).

Maybe I'll get expert marksman and BFT and go IJN 127mms. I seem to do a lot better in em

10 minutes ago, fighter9374 said:

The 100mms have a hard time doing anything with their HE, and the AP will overpen dds and get deflected at even the slightest angle
I personally prefer the American 127mms and the IJN 127mms, though they do seem to disappoint quite a bit (Then again I'm used to smacking ships in my USN ships so yeah).

Maybe I'll get expert marksman and BFT and go IJN 127mms. I seem to do a lot better in em

My captain is RoF + IFHE build. I think it will work well. Haven't really have the time to try yet.

IFHE apparently only valuable on harekaze's 100mm, otherwise not really

The IJN 127mm are great for alpha strike, while USN 127mm are great for fire (Reading off LWM's review, cos I not really used to IJN dd gameplay yet)