You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
kultabashi

Seal Clubers... whats your take on it?

101 comments in this topic

520 posts
11,127 battles

Many captains here play games across all tiers.  Tier 1 - 10.

But, what is your take on Seal Clubbing in world of warships.  Are there really that many sensitive players who quit when they encounter skilled players in lower tiers? Are there really that much Seal Clubbers that it affects the overall game play experience in lower tiers?

Gentle but Fruitful discussion please.

[WOWMY]
347 posts
16,870 battles

Game allows it. From the eye of developers = nothing wrong. A couple of ship obviously OP = nothing wrong. So, for me i just take it easy = nothing wrong. Play if u want..quit if u hate it :) Ur own time, no one force u to play at gunpoint.

1,493 posts

I like playing my older ships at lower tiers, & yes I end up seal clubbing, but a lot of the time I end up trying to dodge other seal clubbers, esp CVs, so its not as clear cut as the term implies... & I must admit I admire coming up against them, as its a challenge.... & when I make mistakes, I get splattered... It happens quite often. It's fun & engaging coming up against another clubber.

But mostly I like showing off my ships, because not everyone has them....... 

Maybe if they had an "advanced mode", where we experienced players could play our low tier ships, without scaring the new players, I would be in that....

Isn't there a buffer for new people to encounter clubbers, like 100 or 500 battles or something, so they don't get scared off?

Anyway, it's all learning, & when I die, I try to learn why...

Ordrazz

556 posts
8,197 battles

Well I found out that Canada does seal clubbing. I mean no wonder they're so chill about everything but honestly Canada why!?

Wait. Is this the wrong thread to bring this up?

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,020 battles

Technically allowed but its "frowned upon" like when the devs removed manual drops from T4-T5 CVs.

But sealclubbing in Nikolai, K Albert, and Gremy is fine komrad.

Super Tester
813 posts
3,912 battles
1 hour ago, stratmania said:

Technically allowed but its "frowned upon" like when the devs removed manual drops from T4-T5 CVs.

But sealclubbing in Nikolai, K Albert, and Gremy is fine komrad.

As long as you give WG a few of your monies, they don't care.

3 hours ago, kultabashi said:

Many captains here play games across all tiers.  Tier 1 - 10.

But, what is your take on Seal Clubbing in world of warships.  Are there really that many sensitive players who quit when they encounter skilled players in lower tiers? Are there really that much Seal Clubbers that it affects the overall game play experience in lower tiers?

Sealclubbing has considerably reduced in CVs since the removal of manual drops. Nowadays sealclubbing is mainly related to premium ships.

3 hours ago, kultabashi said:

Are there really that much Seal Clubbers that it affects the overall game play experience in lower tiers?

Well, the existence of sealclubbers at all will affect the overall gameplay experience. The question should be, "Do sealclubbers affect the gameplay positively or negatively". The answer to that is mixed as it depends on the player who is being "clubbed". Some players might aspire to buy the sealclubbing ships and in turn play the game more. Other people might give up. Generally, I'd assume that people would leave due to the game not being "fun" against people who downright destroy them.

P.S: Sealclubbing should improve the stats of the server. People who are clubbed will adapt and learn to defeat other player to make the game more fun for them. There are also people with too much time on their hands and nothing to do.

Edited by karrablaster123

2,222 posts
13,723 battles

Solo seal clubbing isn't all that bad IMO. I want to go back and improve the stats on some of my ships that I failed in when I was learning. You can only carry so much if the rest of your team is potato so it doesn't guarantee a win.

CV's were the worst. From my experience the problem was that manual strafing/dropping wasn't obvious enough, and wasn't easy to find. It took me a few games to realize it was happening. Then I went looking for the information in WG help but there was none (I didn't know about the wiki at that time). It was only because of the forums that I was able to find out how it was being done to me.

1,126 posts

well, there's very few player in low tier (1-3) in the first place so the chance of meeting very same seal-clubber in continuously match is higher than you think

and for a real new player who just start to found a fun in game, meeting a seal-clubber is really punishing.

true, if there's no old player play a low tier ship, can be lonely for new player since they don't have anyone to play with

but drive they's enthusiasm in game away by obliterate them one-sided is not good either.

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

T4 is the place where I go to let off the high tier frustration.. So I don't think it is a problem.. But when you've got your T10 ship and going to play the T3 and T4 too seriously then it is a problem..

Clubbing is never a problem as it shows how good the high tiers will be and players of T4 need to get better before they enter high tier.. 

When it comes to people leaving the game because of clubbing then they're quitters... There will always be someone better than them and people always need to keep improving..

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,863 battles
11 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

looks at past mounthly missions and their rewards

misaka,

smith,

tachibana,

and now emden

wg encourages sealclubbing comfirmed

ผลการค้นหารูปภาพสำหรับ last order huh? :cap_haloween:

And then we have:

Buffed Zuccini

Nikolai

Albert

etc. etc. as well

Totally not for clubbing eh?

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

Iwaki Alpha~

tier 4.

has smoke. 

10k torps.

hilariously accurate guns.

Why would i choose anything less to smash seals??

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,863 battles
3 minutes ago, AntifoulAwl said:

Iwaki Alpha~

tier 4.

has smoke. 

10k torps.

Speaking of devil, that thing can get citadelled by Kaiser firing HE at you regardless of your angling. (Note, the kaiser HE has 76mm penetration without IFHE)

[LNA]
1,665 posts
10,470 battles
1 hour ago, drakon233 said:

looks at past mounthly missions and their rewards

misaka,

smith,

tachibana,

and now emden

wg encourages sealclubbing comfirmed

The reward ships are more a stick and carrot to keep the player base grinding their games and forget about whining that they dont give us free ships.

Remember , WG do give you free premium ships , its just that nobody bloody use the ones given away.

Back on track , tier 2 playing is not even that fun when the MM can take a long time just to get into a match , more like bot sealclubbing to me.

203 posts
11,788 battles

Problem here is they try everything to gives new players an easier time to the game.

1. Pref MM for tier 1-4
  2. Removal of manual drop on CVs (This doesn't completely prevent seal clubbing, it just make Langley and 201 Bogue even more devastating to new CV players, oops)

But it doesn't really prevents old players from coming back to low tiers here's something to think of.

1. All tiers have its own kind of game play and ships design, You can't blame those who wants to play old ships instead of just plain high tiers.
  2. Frustation of high tiers gameplay caused by other players.
  3. Without premium account sometimes they lost credits and to compensate this they have to play low tiers.
  4. And most importantly some just love to play low tiers I even heard a story of certain player who play just tier 1 exclusively. (Exclusively clubbing :cap_haloween:)

I don't know if "seal clubbing" is even a thing at low tiers (3-4) because most of the time enemy and even teammates know how to position, maneuver just like high tiers.

7 hours ago, kultabashi said:

Are there really that much Seal Clubbers that it affects the overall game play experience in lower tiers?

or maybe this is already happening. :cap_wander_2:

Edited by MikuChrome

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,703 battles

Some people enjoy low tier ships, or their skill threshold isnt good for high tiers so they stay at low to mid tier.

Also when a new line comes out, if people who are unicums start at low tier (har har), they may club as well.

At low tiers though your team can melt if they are all new players as well, so that goes against it at times.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,837 posts
4,138 battles
1 hour ago, AntifoulAwl said:

Iwaki Alpha~

tier 4.

has smoke. 

10k torps.

Seal clubbing for the privileged few. 

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Neptulussus said:

Speaking of devil, that thing can get citadelled by Kaiser firing HE at you regardless of your angling. (Note, the kaiser HE has 76mm penetration without IFHE)

Yes, it's a fragile ship, but the seals must have a right of reply.

Ideally, that reply is not heard, due to smoke.

Super Tester
7,560 posts
8,001 battles

Only times I play below t6 are when I'm grinding something. But most of the time the results come out to be similar as seal clubbing. So, I don't really think the term is exclusive to players who play low tiers with a purpose of finding easier games. Anyone who does well at low tiers can be considered as a seal clubber. Which means, the term isn't significant at all.

As for people leaving the game, I think only those who really love warships, be it for anime or history, stick to the game, others leave anyway. Besides, protecting snowflakes isn't our job.

WG can introduce "7 days of newbie protection" like other games where new players get to play with other new players. :P