Sign in to follow this  
ValkyrieKnight

Anti-torpedo secondary armament (gun)?

45 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
33 posts
1,639 battles

When I press F1 for some tutorials. They said secondary armament can be use for AA or anti-torpedo. However, I didn't see any of them shot at torpedo right now, has it already implemented or not?

Alpha Tester
157 posts

there's a skill for cruisers to enhance that gun use so, maybe in the future?

I think the skill is only applicable for AA and secondary guns of cruisers targeting planes and ships

I didn't think it would actually defend yourself against torp though 

Super Tester
2,725 posts

When I press F1 for some tutorials. They said secondary armament can be use for AA or anti-torpedo. However, I didn't see any of them shot at torpedo right now, has it already implemented or not?

For now, nope. It doesn't have one. Hopefully it will in the future, soon™

Beta Tester
6 posts
412 battles

I don think there will be cuz high velocity rounds disintegrated when hit water surface.

Primary reason why there was never a torpedo gun. Anything that can come into contact with it probably won't destroy it or even redirect it.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Historically speaking, ships don't have an dedicated anti-torpedo gun in the time-period for the game. However, ships would use their secondary batteries (usually 5" guns, or whatever they had) and fire at torpedo tracks, usually with HE shells, as a form of last-ditch defence against torpedoes. Torpedoes are notoriously volatile (since they're basically a half-ton of high explosives), so the pressure shockwave from a near-miss by HE shells (or heck, being hit by 50-cal fire) would be enough to detonate them before they hit their target. There's numerous recorded instances of this happening.

In the game? Secondary batteries don't target torpedoes. Whether this changes in the future is something different, though.

Edited by Syanda

Beta Tester
13 posts

damn forum, can't paste images or upload from computer

anyway, go ingame and look for the 3rd row 2nd column skill, called defensive fire

Edited by Kowarik

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Adding water physics for projectiles when it hit the water ahead of the torpedoes?? Small chances to detonate prematurely or drive it off course.

Found what OP said about the mentioned skill, Dev needs to clarify this.

Do note, we're still in testing phase and things are subject to change.

shot-15.03.17_11.02.13-0709.jpg

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

12.7cm or 5" secondary guns mounted on ships are typically dual-purpose batteries. Several of the heavy cruisers for both USN and IJN have these.

My guess is that they might want to treat torpedoes like squadrons, but the functionality isn't in this build yet.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

I can only imagine desperate sailors mounting those heavy caliber guns and shooting wildly at the incoming torpedoes (movie style) while yelling "TAKE THAT !!!!! YAAAAAAAAAA !"

Edited by Windforce

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

damn forum, can't paste images or upload from computer

anyway, go ingame and look for the 3rd row 2nd column skill, called defensive fire

It's a mistranslation. It refers to DP guns that can engage both ships and aircraft. The skill in question only affects its effectiveness against aircraft.

Alpha Tester
265 posts

It's a mistranslation. It refers to DP guns that can engage both ships and aircraft. The skill in question only affects its effectiveness against aircraft.

so its not true? there is no anti-torp gun?

Super Tester
1,779 posts
323 battles

how bout adding some torpedo bulges (modules or upgrades) at least to provide additional protection (or HP) against torpedoes, (DD's not included since they are slim and we don't want to see a fat DD) 

lol :D

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

how bout adding some torpedo bulges (modules or upgrades) at least to provide additional protection (or HP) against torpedoes, (DD's not included since they are slim and we don't want to see a fat DD) 

Torpedo bulge, you say?

ygNFiP4.jpg

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw it as an equippable module on higher-tier battleships or cruisers.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Maybe OP meant anti-torpedo boat guns?

the secondary and light gun battery were intended to defend against destroyers and PT boats

Destroyer is Torpedo Boat Destroyer so..... It's probably Anti-ship is correct translation rather than anti-torpedo.
Edited by Mingfang47

Beta Tester
28 posts
55 battles

Destroyer is Torpedo Boat Destroyer so..... It's probably Anti-ship is correct translation rather than anti-torpedo.

early BBs used to have the light battery as defense against smaller torpedo boats and DDs, but as DDs became bigger, the light guns became redundant so they were either removed or adapted into light AA guns

Beta Tester
13 posts

Just skilled my captain with that skill, in my cleveland cruiser when activated destroys an average of 3 aircrafts per squadron, really useful against torpedo and dive bombers, not needed against destroyers

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Just skilled my captain with that skill, in my cleveland cruiser when activated destroys an average of 3 aircrafts per squadron, really useful against torpedo and dive bombers, not needed against destroyers

It doesn't work against ships. It's only listing the requirement that a cruiser must have 2 DP batteries in order to have the ability. Kitakami, for example, cannot use this skill because it doesn't have the barrage ability as it only has 1 DP battery. The low tier cruisers also don't benefit from this skill as they don't have the ability because they too lack DP batteries.

Beta Tester
37 posts
17 battles

there is a skill in the commanders tree says this:

Defensive Fire

Improves Anti-Aircraft performance for a time

Available on cruisers with dual purpose weaponry (Anti-Aircraft/Anti-Torpedo Armament)

no anti torpedo bomber, anti destroyer or any other form of meaning, seems pretty simple to understand why people might misunderstand. Not to mention now a couple of times when a torp was about to hit (and i watch those slippery little pieces of .... closely) a torpedo will just disappear, none of his friends just the one that was going to hit me. It does not happen often. I have seen it 3 times now when a certain hit just disappears while his 4-5 friends swim right past.

Obviously they are playing with the idea, or have played with it. as for the real world argument, it is has NEVER stopped WG before and also please remember while it is based on history it is not a simulator but a game so physics really does not matter too much. However stating that this is beta and that text might just be left over from when they toyed with the idea,