You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
PGM991

how to mahan?

19 comments in this topic

1,126 posts

it's been a few month since I start USNDD line

sampson = meh...

wickes = another meh...

clemson = a little better... 

nicholas = it's kinda okay...

farragut = ohh~~~ I don't think i can let go of this ship

crappp~~~~ I start to get addicted to USNDD now

and now... mahan... I got her this morning and go for a trial run

died... but still win, 1st rank in team, kill 2 IJNDD try to compete the cap with me in the process (Bwa ha ha ha!)

her large detection is quit a tricky, and surprisingly gun range shorter than farragut!? how come!? do I have to get AFT to compensate this?

I retrain 10point captain to mahan so I got basic skill set up for now (PM, LS, BFT, CE) but what next?

anyone who master mahan have a tip for newbie?

112 posts
1,553 battles

I personaly wouldn't go with AFT, the shell arcs are just too bad to reliably hit anything at range. Survivability expert is always good, I would highly recomend it (Allows you to take a torp to the face without getting on-shot).

Adrenaline rush tends to be my pick over something like bft. DE gives you a 50% increase in fire chance which is defiantly noticeable.

For the first time you also get semi-decent torpedos which is nice, and still the fantastic US smoke.

In regards to moduals I always love running increased speed boost as well as propulsion mod for easy torp dodges in smoke.

Ive moved my captin back down to my farragut for ranked, but the general play and captin builds should still be similar.

Edited by Dire_Venom

Super Tester
7,543 posts
7,986 battles

Next is RDF for obvious reasons. Also, BFT was the wrong skill to take first. You need SE imo. You will find yourself getting shot at a lot in Mahan because of the detection and fat body.

Here's my Mahan build of 16 points.

PT

LS

SE

CE

RDF

AR

The next 3 will go to BFT.

162 posts
3,308 battles

My recommendations:
Tier 1: Priority target
Tier 2: Last stand, Jack of all trades
Tier 3: Superintendent, survivability expert
Tier 4: Concealment expert, IFHE

If IFHE doesn't tickle your fancy you can swap it and jack of all trades out for Basic fire training and Demo expert

162 posts
3,308 battles

Plus Mahan is the first in the USN dd line where you can finally stealth-torp, so start developing those torp abilities of yours

1,126 posts

Ughh... Mahan is one tough ship to play, out spot by almost every DD and there's chance to meet with tier 9 ship...

I have no choice but to play bit more cowardly by stick near island most of the time, can't go out to spot for the team...

IJNDD scare of me, but CA behind them don't...

Edited by PGM991

162 posts
3,308 battles
Just now, PGM991 said:

Ughh... Mahan is one tough ship to play, out spot by almost every DD and there's chance to meet with tier 9 ship...

I have no choice but to play bit more cowardly by stick near island most of the time

Smoke-cover your allies and spot for em. They'll be happy to assist you

Super Tester
7,543 posts
7,986 battles

IFHE on US DD? Do you even know what IFHE does? Won't help you pen anything that you already don't for US DD guns. Moreover that, it will lower your already pathetic fire chance.

Anyway, Mahan needs to be prepared to get spotted anytime. That's why RDF is part of all USN DD captain's core build. So you always know the direction you are about to get spot. Key rule to do well in mahan is not to be aggressive in a flank where enemy support is heavy. I didn't smoke much for allies in Mahan because you need that for your own survival.  All i did was quickly got rid of this ship, (My mahan is around 1700 wtr, not the best, not bad either. still wont touch her again).

326 posts
10,519 battles

As for my experience playing with USN DD's line, after ur reach Mahan & above, USN DD's are really fun to play. Since u already reach Mahan, u have better torps with great range to engage ur enemy while try to contest cap.

The main core to play them is speed & survivability.  U do not stop moving (control ur speed & WASD) & help ur team to kill enemy DD's or annoy enemy ships.  

The main skill I'll put for my captain (10 points) will be:

- Priority Target or Preventive Maintenance 

- Last Stand (critical skill; so u can fight with ur ship half sunk or retreat from battlefield without risk or engine or rudder failure)

- BFT (fast reload) / Survivability Expert (more HP for endurance)

- CE (For ninja)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For extra point for ur captain, u can go for

- Adrenaline Rush 

- Superintendent (extra NOS / smoke) / DE (for more spice and salt)

or take any skill that I mention at main skill build u didn't put on.

BTW, for me RDF total overrated. Well it just my POV since I'm rely on my instinct & I'm always put game objective as priority when playing DD's.

Of course, don't YOLO, bring backup ships with u & always use F3 & F5.

P/s: Once u get Benson or Fletcher, u will never turn back again. :cap_haloween:

Edited by ArchKongou

66 posts
1,668 battles

I just got this to 10pt captain, and suffered terribly until i managed to get the CE, then it got much easier after that.

Run flags for fire and consumable cooldown, as well as the premium smoke, makes a huge difference to damage output. I found if i couldn't light fire i did stuff all damage

162 posts
3,308 battles
3 hours ago, DogBolter said:

I just got this to 10pt captain, and suffered terribly until i managed to get the CE, then it got much easier after that.

Run flags for fire and consumable cooldown, as well as the premium smoke, makes a huge difference to damage output. I found if i couldn't light fire i did stuff all damage

Work on torp tactics. There are a few guides on youtube you can use, but in basic sense:

DON'T FIRE AT THE GREY LINE UNLESS YOU TARGET IS A OBLIVIOUS STRAIGHTLINUS

Make a wall of torps so he's screwed even if he deviates from his course a bit

1,126 posts

6 hours ago, ArchKongou said:

Once u get Benson or Fletcher, u will never turn back again

7 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

still wont touch her again

yeah... I start to think that too.

but those high tier is pricey, I'll keep nicholas and farragut for credit farm (and these 2 ship quite fun to play)

...just hope my teammate understand that why I don't smoke them much in mahan...

Edited by PGM991

520 posts
11,127 battles

Mahan is actually a good ship.  Excellent Guns,  Lots of torps.    Just make sure you use your detection range wisely.  Consider it TRAINING for tier 8 - 10

On a side note.... Clemson, is one of the best US DDs as well:)   Its what seal clubbers use when they want to have a good day:)

Super Tester
7,543 posts
7,986 battles
11 hours ago, kultabashi said:

On a side note.... Clemson, is one of the best US DDs as well:)   Its what seal clubbers use when they want to have a good day:)

19 pt clubson here!!

1,126 posts

i personally don't like seal cluber thing

they drive away new player by one-sided obliterate them.

i say this because one of my friend that start a game for a month ago and got hit hard by seal cluber in div and already quit. =w=

I too play low tier but only use low level captain.

162 posts
3,308 battles

Well in any DD you have to be prepared to drop whatever you're doing and gtfo of dodge. You're useless to your team sitting pretty at the bottom of the ocean

372 posts
10,097 battles
17 hours ago, snYpr69 said:

Here's my guide, I posted it on reddit a while back. It's a little out dated and focused on ranked, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7nT7S17yRsvX1d2bWE0VXRHWmM

Sims isn't really a pay to win mahan, it's more of a different upgrade path from farragut. Sims gets a upgrade to knife fighting and capping while mahan gets a large upgrade to the torpedoes.

Edited by WongSongMing