Jump to content
cellum95

Personality of the North Carolina

86 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Member
41 posts
2,800 battles

North Carolina is probably one of my most favorites ships to play in the game, alongside the New Mexico(if I get the chance I should really rebuy that) and the Konig. While I did play a few games in the Iowa, it has a lot more character in it that makes it so enjoyable. Note that this is my personal opinion and take this with a grain of salt. 

 

Here are the things why I like the NC personality-wise:

1.) Maneuverability: It can turn much tighter than that of the Iowa. While it is inferior in speed, the NC's rudder shift time is higher, especially with that Steering Modifications 2. As a result, I can confidently dodge torpedoes and incoming fire much more easily. It is also friendly-wise to players playing this ship, as a misplay can be corrected with a much higher percentage than the Iowa. 

2.) AA Power: This thing can shred planes for days. With the AA mod alone this thing can cause headaches to -2/+2 Tier Aircraft Carrier players. Add in the Captain skills and flags that boost AA power, well....let's just say it can be amusing, especially if it's backed up by other ships' AA power.

3.) Main Battery Firepower: I can say that the guns of the North Carolina are more akin to that of an Atlanta's, just without the ridiculous DPM and turrets that have turret traverse speeds which are nuts. While the slow shell speed of the guns can be a problem, that same problem can also be your best friend because just like Atlanta's guns, they go at a much steeper angle than any other battleship I have played/seen so far. Which means that it can do much more damage if aimed properly. Also, the accuracy and Sigma rating is comfortable to do such thing. The improved clearing of the No. 3 turret means that you can do a full nine-16" broadside much more comfortably, which also raises the chances of doing damage and hitting those citadels. 

4.) Stealth: It's one of the few battleships that can go ninja. Should I say more of this? 

5.) Money Making: It's a much more reliable money maker than the Iowa. Being a lower tier than the Iowa means that the repair and shell costs are much more manageable. The money-making system of the game also helps, as being at Tier VIII you can shoot much higher tier opponents to boost the rating of your credit and experience earnings. 

6.) Armor: The armor is a risk-reward type, which I find very...comforting when fighting. IDK why. Probably that's just me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,105 posts

bull's eye! Bismarck is in game best battleship, if North Carolina try to ram Bismarck.... it will lose thanks to Bismarck 11km secondary it will kill the crew and the officer in the conning tower :V leaving no one to drive the ship....

 

about AA, every sheep with manual AA and +20% AA range can rekt any CV plane. sometimes USN BB driver to confidence about their basic AA resulting 6x torpedo hit and got burned by dive bomber. remember, TAKE MANUAL AA for good AA defense. if you are talking about Hiryu T5 plane againts NC no AA upgrade it could work. but againts Shokaku, Enterprise and lexington... they cannt do a sheet except shot down 1~3 plane and 8x torp still release.

 

about GG main gun, Amagi can rekt Cruiser easily from 15km, as in Algerie i am never afraid any BB except T8+ IJN BB. their AP hurt :V

talking about salt, join the Bismarck 11km Secondary cult or in other world Axis Cult :V

 

:cap_cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,333 posts
8,817 battles

From the thread title I thought this was a thread discussing NC's personality should she ever get into Kantai Collection. :Smile_teethhappy:

 

Otherwise, nice write-up. I am enjoying NC for the same reasons as stated.

Edited by Thyaliad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

 

@Skarhabek, you literally have no clue on how NCs AA feels like. 

 

3 hours ago, Skarhabek said:

 

about AA, every sheep with manual AA and +20% AA range can rekt any CV plane. sometimes USN BB driver to confidence about their basic AA resulting 6x torpedo hit and got burned by dive bomber. remember, TAKE MANUAL AA for good AA defense. if you are talking about Hiryu T5 plane againts NC no AA upgrade it could work. but againts Shokaku, Enterprise and lexington... they cannt do a sheet except shot down 1~3 plane and 8x torp still release.

 

 

Stock NC would kill more than 5 SKK planes. I even got Clear Sky against Lexi with NC which are harder to kill than SKKs.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,196 posts
2,883 battles
6 hours ago, Skarhabek said:

about AA, every sheep with manual AA and +20% AA range can rekt any CV plane. sometimes USN BB driver to confidence about their basic AA resulting 6x torpedo hit and got burned by dive bomber. remember, TAKE MANUAL AA for good AA defense. if you are talking about Hiryu T5 plane againts NC no AA upgrade it could work. but againts Shokaku, Enterprise and lexington... they cannt do a sheet except shot down 1~3 plane and 8x torp still 

You have no idea what you are talking about aren't you ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,105 posts

except the Missouri, i never got a problem bombing other USN BB. the other serious threat is Minotaur, Neptune or any ship with AADF.....

there is also moment when no plane shotdown when i strike full HP Iowa.

 

well, most of potato CV mistake is looking for sweet spot and let the plane fly too long in AA ship. i remember got this tips from legionnair, and its work. now the problem of T8 CV is not because higher tier ship AA, ITS DAMAGE WAAAAY TO LOW! basically IJN CV just bring T5 strike capabilities, if torpedo and bomb damage from shokaku increase by 30%, it can have better carry potential againts T10. Taiho orHakuryu can carry because it got 1 more torpedo squadron, like getting 50% damage buff. well, lets discuss about Bismarck vs NC vs Amagi vs RNBB instead of salty AA crusade.

 

btw, this problem also came to T8 BB againts T10. craaap my Bismarck cannt snipe from 20km and cannt Yolo. normal pen 3x from T10 BB is hurt. and waow, i see T10 BB basically got 2x damage compared to T8 BB. man, no wonder T10 BB is the real carry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
41 posts
2,800 battles
15 hours ago, SlamUez said:

The alabama turns better :) 

Well, since the NC and Alabama were made in accordance with the Washington Naval Treaty, with the Alabama more compact, I'll say they're close competitors in terms of turning speed. 

 

21 hours ago, MatterCore said:

everything of NC is fine, except shell muzzle

Once you'll get used to the shell muzzle of the NC, its magic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
162 posts
3,303 battles
16 minutes ago, cellum95 said:

Well, since the NC and Alabama were made in accordance with the Washington Naval Treaty, with the Alabama more compact, I'll say they're close competitors in terms of turning speed. 

 

Once you'll get used to the shell muzzle of the NC, its magic. 

Meh
I can't get used to the dispersion of the NC it's pretty garbage
I will admit it's impressive when it hits (If it hits........)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,105 posts
5 minutes ago, fighter9374 said:

Meh
I can't get used to the dispersion of the NC it's pretty garbage
I will admit it's impressive when it hits (If it hits........)

play Bismarck, NO NEED TO AIM! the secondary crew will do it!

btw, Bismarck dispersion is DA BEST.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
41 posts
2,800 battles
15 hours ago, fighter9374 said:

Meh
I can't get used to the dispersion of the NC it's pretty garbage
I will admit it's impressive when it hits (If it hits........)

Patience, my friend. The dispersion with all 9 16" guns is comfortable and even doing the bow-on technique it's still acceptable(speaking from experience).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
162 posts
3,303 battles
18 minutes ago, Skarhabek said:

play Bismarck, NO NEED TO AIM! the secondary crew will do it!

btw, Bismarck dispersion is DA BEST.

Meh Bismarck is garbage
 

 

12 minutes ago, cellum95 said:

Patience, my friend. The dispersion with all 9 16" guns is comfortable and even doing the bow-on technique it's still acceptable(speaking from experience).

 

 

I dunno if I can ever get used to it. I aim for the deck it goes over the ship. I aim for the waterline it hits the water

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,480 posts

Sorry, I have to disagree here, as I find the NC crap....

The Tirpitz/Bismarck are far better ships, fast, maneuverable, the shells have good flight time, where you aim is where you'll hit, fast turret traverse..... They have excellent AA (if you spec right) & are very adept at dodging torpedoes...

 

NC on the other hand, I find the shells are slow, the dispersion. & the aiming are shocking, I can rarely hit citadels with it, & the ship is slow & dumpy to maneuver, & the AA is poor, often letting me get hit by planes even when they are targeted, & the secondaries well, I may as well say what secondaries? They just sit there, & they don't even have good range for that tier.....

I've only taken it out once in the last 6 months, & I'm leaving it in my port, where it can rust with my ARP ships....

Sorry, but its German engineering all the way for me.

 

Ordrazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
162 posts
3,303 battles
Just now, Ordrazz said:

Sorry, I have to disagree here, as I find the NC crap....

The Tirpitz/Bismarck are far better ships, fast, maneuverable, the shells have good flight time, where you aim is where you'll hit, fast turret traverse..... They have excellent AA (if you spec right) & are very adept at dodging torpedoes...

 

NC on the other hand, I find the shells are slow, the dispersion. & the aiming are shocking, I can rarely hit citadels with it, & the ship is slow & dumpy to maneuver, & the AA is poor, often letting me get hit by planes even when they are targeted, & the secondaries well, I may as well say what secondaries? They just sit there, & they don't even have good range for that tier.....

I've only taken it out once in the last 6 months, & I'm leaving it in my port, where it can rust with my ARP ships....

Sorry, but its German engineering all the way for me.

 

Ordrazz

I can agree with the ship's aiming and horrible shell travel time, but seriously poor AA? slow and poor maneuverability?
NC's AA can shred individual strike squadrons foolish enough to brave your AA umbrella (Multiple squadrons are another matter entirely, but then again we're talking about a BB. That's impressive enough already)

If you're complaining about how slow the ship is get your engine module upgraded and put rudder shift mod 2 on it. Cuts rudder shift time to 13.2 secs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,105 posts
48 minutes ago, fighter9374 said:

NC's AA can shred individual strike squadrons foolish enough to brave your AA umbrella (Multiple squadrons are another matter entirely, but then again we're talking about a BB. That's impressive enough already)

 

Bismarck with Manual AA and AFT only, its ded because facing multiple BB, DD and CA in the enemy base.... 

 

as you can see, both CV are competent... but with obviously Bismarck shotdown more plane, enemy CV is too focused on killing Bismarck but fail. 

20264996_468427856870789_500444840295730

if you want replay i can upload it bro :cap_like:

 

it was actually an awesome match :V

i just cannt believe we won .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
162 posts
3,303 battles

We're talking about NC here not Bismarck.

Besides I play NC, no AA captain skills (That's BFT, AFT or Manual AA), no AA flag and I can still shred individual planes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

NC requires actual aiming skill from player, if that is too hard for you then ya, may be easier ships like Tirpitz / Amagi will be better for you. I just hate it when people actually try to say "NC is crap". Calling the best (arguably) T8 BB crap is not a good thing to do. NC's floaty shells are only a problem when you shoot over 18 km.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles
5 hours ago, Ordrazz said:

Sorry, I have to disagree here, as I find the NC crap....

The Tirpitz/Bismarck are far better ships, fast, maneuverable, the shells have good flight time, where you aim is where you'll hit, fast turret traverse..... They have excellent AA (if you spec right) & are very adept at dodging torpedoes...

 

NC on the other hand, I find the shells are slow, the dispersion. & the aiming are shocking, I can rarely hit citadels with it, & the ship is slow & dumpy to maneuver, & the AA is poor, often letting me get hit by planes even when they are targeted, & the secondaries well, I may as well say what secondaries? They just sit there, & they don't even have good range for that tier.....

I've only taken it out once in the last 6 months, & I'm leaving it in my port, where it can rust with my ARP ships....

Sorry, but its German engineering all the way for me.

 

Ordrazz

 

Best joke I ever read. I hope this is a sarcasm :)

 

When someone say that Tirpitz (worst AA of T8) has excellent AA and NC (Best overall T8 AA without active DFAA)............... One can only hope this is a sarcasm, a really bad quality one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,105 posts
On 8/3/2017 at 9:43 AM, fighter9374 said:

We're talking about NC here not Bismarck.

Besides I play NC, no AA captain skills (That's BFT, AFT or Manual AA), no AA flag and I can still shred individual planes

hey, i am comparing AA Bismarck and North Carolina. without manual AA, any T8 BB AA is not scary. and no AA captain skill is actually not good for USN BB if enemy CV know they dont have "AA". USN BB capt is too confidence about their basic AA, this is also the reason why i love attacking them :V

 

On 8/3/2017 at 1:32 PM, icy_phoenix said:

 

When someone say that Tirpitz (worst AA of T8) has excellent AA and NC (Best overall T8 AA without active DFAA)............... One can only hope this is a sarcasm, a really bad quality one.

his Tirpitz must have manual AA, any sheep with that skill is dangerous. btw dont be fooled by Wiki, it said Missouri have lesser AA than Iowa. but the truth Missouri shot down a lot of my plane compared to Iowa. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,480 posts
20 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

 

Best joke I ever read. I hope this is a sarcasm :)

 

When someone say that Tirpitz (worst AA of T8) has excellent AA and NC (Best overall T8 AA without active DFAA)............... One can only hope this is a sarcasm, a really bad quality one.

 

To each his own, I can only say....

This has been my experience,  as you know I don't go by stats.... I go by my own results, & my own experience with the AA of each ship, IMO Tirpitz/Bismarck wins hands down...

& its not sarcasm.... & I don't even perport to be the authority on things, I can only judge by my own personal experiences.... Just the same as I get a lot of fun out of Krazny Krym while others poo poo it all the time....

IMHO I hate the NC, I think its a bad ship,  & you will rarely see me in it, I'll be in my Tirpitz/Bismarck any day.

 

Of course, I have all my captain skills to help AA along, & I have a fighter too... 

To each his own.

Ordrazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
97
[LYNMF]
Member
990 posts
11,558 battles

i like NC the most of all the t8 bb

even 17KM hit bb reliably, fav target is german bb who show broadside and take 11 to 13K off them

cruiser hide behind island, no worries the shell arch can still get them

get uptiered alot but never feel hopeless also the concealment..no dd spot after one salvo can be ninja and reposition plus very tanky when angled

the shell velocity can be a problem but this teach you to be patience choose your target and aim well

not the ship for everyone, but i love colorado and now NC..this is what a bb should be..great guns

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles
14 minutes ago, Ordrazz said:

Of course, I have all my captain skills to help AA along, & I have a fighter too... 

To each his own.

Ordrazz

 

I understand that. But you cannot just say "Sun moves around the earth" and "To each his own" in the same context. Facts are facts man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×