Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Happysheriff86

Bismarck against upper tier

18 comments in this topic

6 posts
5,558 battles

Hello all, i want to ask something..what should i do with my bismarck when against opponents battleship from tier 9 above?because from my experience in some random battle i was able to closing in and forced the opponents in brawling situation but bismarck AP shells cant penetrated their armor even though the enemy ship show their broadside. And i end up destroyed without giving enough damage to them.

Im sorry for my broken english i hope all of you understand what i said.

Thanks

Edited by Happysheriff86

248 posts

i used to get regular citadels on yamatos.

that stopped a while back with no announcement.

i'm suprised you can hit anything with those shutguns.

i sold mine out of frustration at seeing my shells hit everything EXCEPT the target.

most over rated ship in the game

423 posts

I have a stock Bismark from the recent campaign for it.  

I have been up tiered a lot and I have done reasonably well after my captain was retrained.  

I use a secondary build on my captain and ship. I have gone AFT first, going for better aim for my sec. next and use upgrades that increase my secondary range to complement my captain.  

When using the guns on my Bismark, I count hitting the enemy as doing good, don't expect anything else.  If you are having trouble with the armor of other ships, aim for their superstructure and kill them that way.  I find that useful for other German ships and upper tier ships I run into.  

When you get into close range where your guns start really hitting what you aim at, stay angled, (don't bow on/straight at them) and increase your armor so you can stop any shell from penning your sides (not your superstructure, sorry) except for Yamato which doesn't give a #@%!.  

Hope this helps you.  You might need to reskill your commander.  Look at some of the Youtubers for advice as they will show you the skills (less translation needed.)  

Good Hunting Captain

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles

Closing in on higher tier BBs is a mistake. Your secondaries are only for scaring DDs and cruisers may be. Your secondaries won't even pen any BB. And you cannot angle against BB players who knows where to shoot you. Your best bet is to ram if you get too close.

My suggestion, observe BB player, if he seems to be a good one, don't rush him. You will die before reaching him. Your lower number of frontal guns and lower alpha won't be enough to deal much damage.

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,590 battles

i always have to fight T10 as well, stay with your higher tier teammate and support them..probably the best thing you can do as a lower tier

in this situation think of your own survival first, getting sunked early and hiding at the back you dont contribute anything..support your team always look where everyone is and get out of fights you cant win

t8 bb in t10 still alright, try a mogami in t10 and this is really tough

6 posts
5,558 battles
2 hours ago, drakon233 said:

depends on your captain spec and modules, cant help till i know those

I only have 12 point..this is my captain spec

1.pm

2.em, ar

3.bft

4.aft

For modules

1.main armaments 1

2.secondary battery 2

3.damage control system 1

4.damage control system 2

5.<empty>

When i play using gneisenau with the same build i never had this kind of problem..i can perform well against upper tier.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

huh, i'd suggest you get the 5th module ASAP, that's the one thing that gives T8 ships a clear cut advantage over all other T7 ships, the ability to lower it's concealment by a large ammout, and then get CE as your next T4 skill, ignore all other skills for now, change DCP for better rudder and then use your speed, concealment and whatnot to go after CAs, your secoundarys are more or less useless so dont think that they will actually do anything for you, you main guns are still you main weaponry, because you have a rather fast reload you should make sure you have the right ammo type loaded for the right targets. you guns might be smaller then others and have bigger dispersion but they still pack quite a punch when it hits, go for broadsided CAs-broadsided BBs-bow on BBs(with HE) in that manner, DDs are priority targets whenever you see one so prioritize them if they are ever seen, and if a CV is dumb enough to get gunned down by a bismark..... well he deserves it

:note, dont shoot on bow on CAs with thick enough bow to bounce you shells

6 posts
5,558 battles
2 hours ago, fuzzjunky said:

i used to get regular citadels on yamatos.

that stopped a while back with no announcement.

i'm suprised you can hit anything with those shutguns.

i sold mine out of frustration at seeing my shells hit everything EXCEPT the target.

most over rated ship in the game

I agree with you this ship have bad dispersion but i still can constantly land some hit..so i dont have problem with that..what surprise me is the performance of main battery in close range against upper tier..

6 posts
5,558 battles
20 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

huh, i'd suggest you get the 5th module ASAP, that's the one thing that gives T8 ships a clear cut advantage over all other T7 ships, the ability to lower it's concealment by a large ammout, and then get CE as your next T4 skill, ignore all other skills for now, change DCP for better rudder and then use your speed, concealment and whatnot to go after CAs, your secoundarys are more or less useless so dont think that they will actually do anything for you, you main guns are still you main weaponry, because you have a rather fast reload you should make sure you have the right ammo type loaded for the right targets. you guns might be smaller then others and have bigger dispersion but they still pack quite a punch when it hits, go for broadsided CAs-broadsided BBs-bow on BBs(with HE) in that manner, DDs are priority targets whenever you see one so prioritize them if they are ever seen, and if a CV is dumb enough to get gunned down by a bismark..... well he deserves it

:note, dont shoot on bow on CAs with thick enough bow to bounce you shells

need more credit until i get my 5th module..and thanks for your advice i will try it.

2 hours ago, BunnyDragon said:

I have a stock Bismark from the recent campaign for it.  

I have been up tiered a lot and I have done reasonably well after my captain was retrained.  

I use a secondary build on my captain and ship. I have gone AFT first, going for better aim for my sec. next and use upgrades that increase my secondary range to complement my captain.  

When using the guns on my Bismark, I count hitting the enemy as doing good, don't expect anything else.  If you are having trouble with the armor of other ships, aim for their superstructure and kill them that way.  I find that useful for other German ships and upper tier ships I run into.  

When you get into close range where your guns start really hitting what you aim at, stay angled, (don't bow on/straight at them) and increase your armor so you can stop any shell from penning your sides (not your superstructure, sorry) except for Yamato which doesn't give a #@%!.  

Hope this helps you.  You might need to reskill your commander.  Look at some of the Youtubers for advice as they will show you the skills (less translation needed.)  

Good Hunting Captain

I use secondary build too minus manual fire control because i only have 12point..you give me some good tips thanks a lot

6 posts
5,558 battles
2 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Closing in on higher tier BBs is a mistake. Your secondaries are only for scaring DDs and cruisers may be. Your secondaries won't even pen any BB. And you cannot angle against BB players who knows where to shoot you. Your best bet is to ram if you get too close.

My suggestion, observe BB player, if he seems to be a good one, don't rush him. You will die before reaching him. Your lower number of frontal guns and lower alpha won't be enough to deal much damage.

I think your right..i always looking for an opening and try to rush in or if i see 1 or 2 bb i have the urge to challenge them..i dont mind destroyed if i can bring 1 or 2 ships with me..against tier 9 above doesnt work well..maybe i should adjust my playing style a bit

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

close quarter combat with Bismarck should be end game stuff so you wont get overwhelmed or suppressed easily

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles

I don't play Bismarck myself, because she seems very squishy to me compared to Amagi or NC which I both grinded out. Sure she doesn't take as much citadel hits, but can easily eat 20k salvo from higher tier BBs. 20k is 20k, doesn't matter if you get it through citadel hits or regular pens. That's 1/3rd of your HP. Actually my highest on Bismarck is roughly 46k from Iowa. Competent players don't take citadel hits in BBs anyway, so that is barely a *feature*.

Logically thinking, specializing on secondary isn't really that great if you plan the commander to take to next ships on the line. Because, first of all, in order to get your secondaries open up on enemy BB in a CQC, you need to show huge amount of your side. It is not worth against BB players who know your weakness. That leads to the second reason, secondaries are programmed to hit the hull, not the super structure. Yes some of them will hit the super structure due to dispersion, but that is not a huge advantage over other BBs, who will also be doing the same to you in a cqc. The shells hitting the hull will literally do no damage. I think there is a video from Flamu where he explains why its better not to solely depend on secondaries (nor too much).

If you find yourself playing short range too much, and not surviving, try mid range.

If you find that you play short range and actually come out winner, go for secondaries.

Otherwise go for manual AA and concealment build. A lot better choice for GK in future. (TotallyMyOpinionNoNeedToFollow)

248 posts

yeh the worst part of this is of course that T8 match making is basically broken.

I did a few tallies whilst playing and you're in T10 games 40-50% of the time,

T9 games about 30% of the time. and you are top tier once every five games if you are lucky.

[yes i wrote them down for several days straight]

T7 is much much better. top tier about half the time

Edited by fuzzjunky

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles
3 hours ago, fuzzjunky said:

T7 is much much better. top tier about half the time

Yep, since the introduction of T4 protected MM, now TX, T7 and T4 are the best tiers to play. Almost always top tier.

435 posts
6,169 battles
8 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

I don't play Bismarck myself, because she seems very squishy to me compared to Amagi or NC which I both grinded out. Sure she doesn't take as much citadel hits, but can easily eat 20k salvo from higher tier BBs. 20k is 20k, doesn't matter if you get it through citadel hits or regular pens. That's 1/3rd of your HP. Actually my highest on Bismarck is roughly 46k from Iowa. Competent players don't take citadel hits in BBs anyway, so that is barely a *feature*.

Logically thinking, specializing on secondary isn't really that great if you plan the commander to take to next ships on the line. Because, first of all, in order to get your secondaries open up on enemy BB in a CQC, you need to show huge amount of your side. It is not worth against BB players who know your weakness. That leads to the second reason, secondaries are programmed to hit the hull, not the super structure. Yes some of them will hit the super structure due to dispersion, but that is not a huge advantage over other BBs, who will also be doing the same to you in a cqc. The shells hitting the hull will literally do no damage. I think there is a video from Flamu where he explains why its better not to solely depend on secondaries (nor too much).

If you find yourself playing short range too much, and not surviving, try mid range.

If you find that you play short range and actually come out winner, go for secondaries.

Otherwise go for manual AA and concealment build. A lot better choice for GK in future. (TotallyMyOpinionNoNeedToFollow)

Yeah icy all very very logically if winning is everything, true & true if you want to play like emotionless Vulcan!

One fact is that whatever way you setup your captain skills it’s not going to suit every single game and it’s the same for secondary’s, only a percentage of games is when you be able to get your secondary’s in range and a percentage of that is when they will be effective.  

My experience at 7km to 10km secondary’s range is that the shells arc and land more on the superstructure and sets multiple fires. Against battleships or cruisers at very close range or under 7km there is no need to use or to wait for secondary’s for as mains will kill anything with one full salvo, broadside, mostly! Against destroyers mains don’t always kill with one salvo but mains and secondary’s do. Also once you think your secondary’s have got the target you can start rotating your mains onto the next target, that's a real advantage.

If OP wants to play the run-of-mill battleship standard methodology then fair enough but you want to flight with targets to the right, targets to the left, targets to the front, with all mains and secondary’s  blazing then I promises you, it won’t be emotionless!

Edited by BuckleUpBones

Sign in to follow this