You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Webba84

Unicum DD players: How to make the Hatsu work in ranked?

15 comments in this topic

[1NATN]
287 posts
5,258 battles

Like the title says, I really need some advice on how to make this ship perform because it has not been working out for me at all.

Some background: I'm an above-average but far from perfect player who does best in DDs for ranked play. Perth and Gallant got me to rank 4 with a roughly 55% win rate but I was feeling the pressure to get with the meta, especially in matches with only 1 dd per side so I switched to my 14pt hatsu captain and the results, to put it mildly were terrible. 7 stars lost over 11 battles and probably my chance to rank out this season too, subpar stats across the board. 

As far as I can tell I'm doing everything right, but not matter how long I keep enemy dds spotted or contest caps or shield BBs I invariably end up on the losing side and often bottom of the xp table. I don't die to torps, it's always BB volleys that do way more damage than my team seems to be able to put out on the enemy DDs. On one memorable occasion I kept a Farragut spotted for more than a minute and he took no damage. That was an outlier, but it feels like it's always this way.

I'm pretty good at working out what I did wrong and improving it, but there must be something I'm missing here. How to make it work?

Edited by Webba84

Beta Tester
908 posts
1 hour ago, Webba84 said:

Like the title says, I really need some advice on how to make this ship perform because it has not been working out for me at all.

Some background: I'm an above-average but far from perfect player who does best in DDs for ranked play. Perth and Gallant got me to rank 4 with a roughly 55% win rate but I was feeling the pressure to get with the meta, especially in matches with only 1 dd per side so I switched to my 14pt hatsu captain and the results, to put it mildly were terrible. 7 stars lost over 11 battles and probably my chance to rank out this season too, subpar stats across the board. 

As far as I can tell I'm doing everything right, but not matter how long I keep enemy dds spotted or contest caps or shield BBs I invariably end up on the losing side and often bottom of the xp table. I don't die to torps, it's always BB volleys that do way more damage than my team seems to be able to put out on the enemy DDs. On one memorable occasion I kept a Farragut spotted for more than a minute and he took no damage. That was an outlier, but it feels like it's always this way.

I'm pretty good at working out what I did wrong and improving it, but there must be something I'm missing here. How to make it work?

You wont make it work if you have crappy BB players. When I play Hatsu, I expect some BB support and the shooting of DDs over everything else. That wins games.

Nope I get BBs that just want to farm dmg and be the top loser.

When I play BB, I try to support the DD, except I get coward DD players that don't know what they are doing. Ahh such is life, back to farming top dmg I guess.

381 posts
9,957 battles
2 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Wait, even at R5 bracket, people don't focus DDs? That's just insane. I thought R5 and up players really knew what they were doing.

4 out of 5 games I feel like I'm the only BB who tries to hold my reload at the start and wait for enemy DD to show up. All other BB keep shooting at the opposing Fuso 20km away despite ally DD being very close to cap and can be spotted any moment.

[1NATN]
287 posts
5,258 battles
19 minutes ago, LunaStinger said:

4 out of 5 games I feel like I'm the only BB who tries to hold my reload at the start and wait for enemy DD to show up. All other BB keep shooting at the opposing Fuso 20km away despite ally DD being very close to cap and can be spotted any moment.

The worst part about this is, by shooting at the DD you lessen your own chances of keeping a star in a loss (lower dmg totals), meaning if you are the only one doing it you can really get screwed over by your team. 

Edited by Webba84

[1NATN]
287 posts
5,258 battles
6 minutes ago, Harpoon01 said:

i thought hatsu is the worst ship possible to play at ranked, are there worse?

At rank 5+ you rarely see any other DD. Best in tier concealment=more important than just about every other stat when each match features 4 BBs shooting at any destroyer that shows its little head.

I really hate what this meta has done to DDs. You're absolutely essential to help the team win and dying early pretty much hands the enemy a win, but at the same time even if you don't die but the rest of your team plays badly there is very little you can do to influence the outcome. You contest caps and spot enemy dds until you have almost no health left, and then you stealth torp and spot and hide and smoke teammates as long as you can after that, and you still end up with a loss and near the bottom of the xp ranking without having done anything wrong.

Utterly infuriating.

Edited by Webba84

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
11 minutes ago, Webba84 said:

At rank 5+ you rarely see any other DD. Best in tier concealment=more important than just about every other stat when each match features 4 BBs shooting at any destroyer that shows its little head.

I really hate what this meta has done to DDs. You're absolutely essential to help the team win and dying early pretty much hands the enemy a win, but at the same time even if you don't die but the rest of your team plays badly there is very little you can do to influence the outcome. You contest caps and spot enemy dds until you have almost no health left, and then you stealth torp and spot and hide and smoke teammates as long as you can after that, and you still end up with a loss and near the bottom of the xp ranking without having done anything wrong.

Utterly infuriating.

i suggesting Long Lance buff

but seems already thrown out of the windows ages ago

[1NATN]
287 posts
5,258 battles
30 minutes ago, Harpoon01 said:

i suggesting Long Lance buff

but seems already thrown out of the windows ages ago

I like the idea of auto overpens for BB AP on DDs, would prevent those situations where a couple of lucky pens murder you, and mean that BBs who want to effectively shoot DDs need to at least switch to HE first.

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,863 battles
2 hours ago, Webba84 said:

The worst part about this is, by shooting at the DD you lessen your own chances of keeping a star in a loss (lower dmg totals), meaning if you are the only one doing it you can really get screwed over by your team. 

Isn't the exp is calculated by percentage damage rather than raw value? For instance, 100/0-ing a dd nets roughly equal to 100/0-ing a ca/bb?

Or am I mistaken?

Beta Tester
908 posts
2 hours ago, Webba84 said:

Your right there, this season is just that bad.

I only support the DD, if I recognise them and have played well with them. If I see a BB that plays selfishly and have seen before. Well I play a different style of game right from the beginning.

381 posts
9,957 battles
21 minutes ago, Admiral_Neptulussus said:

Isn't the exp is calculated by percentage damage rather than raw value? For instance, 100/0-ing a dd nets roughly equal to 100/0-ing a ca/bb?

Or am I mistaken?

Yes it is calculated by percentage but the dispersion of most t6 BB is so shit that it still nets higher relative outcome if you shoot BB instead of DD. Really frustrating to see 2/12 hits against a broadsiding DD 10km away while it would have been at least 4 hits if it were Amagi or NC

[1NATN]
287 posts
5,258 battles

1 hour ago, Admiral_Neptulussus said:

Or am I mistaken?

Something I don't think is taken into account though is the fact that BBs can heal back hitpoints. You could do 50,000 dmg to a BB over the course of a match, more than 100% of their health (and get the xp reward for it) and still actually have little effect on the outcome of the match (enemy BB survives, enemy DDs survive, your team loses). I've seen more than a few cases of a BB topping the losing team without any kills or caps, just lots of dmg spread across 3-4 BBs.

The more I think about it the more I realise xp rewards are completely borked this season. BBs should get more xp for dmg done to destroyers (and less for dmg done to other BBs), DDs should get more xp for spotting (esp. other DDs and torps) and there should be an xp reward for smoking allied ships. Cruisers should just get more rewards for doing dmg across the board.

Damage done to ships that have heals should have some of those 'potential' HP included in their total HP for calculating rewards.

1 hour ago, SlamUez said:

Your right there, this season is just that bad.

I only support the DD, if I recognise them and have played well with them. If I see a BB that plays selfishly and have seen before. Well I play a different style of game right from the beginning.

I think I have seen you in one match, on the other side. I guess you got a DD that you recognised for that one because we lost it very badly :P

Edited by Webba84

1,347 posts
8,872 battles
3 hours ago, Webba84 said:

Utterly infuriating.

They are like the Support classes in Mobas.

You are essential to the team's victory, but if your team plays badly there is nothing you can do about it. :Smile_sad: