You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ZellAkulaKonstantinovich

Need Clarification about some of these ships/info

7 comments in this topic

9 posts
4,956 battles

Well guys, i just read some articles about US Navy CL and other stuff, and what i think now is:
1. What the differents with Cleveland and Fargo? Especially about their jobs and Equipments. The Fargo, what i see from Wikipedia's photos and other photos is just shorter design of Cleveland. I still understand why USN make Worchester (because it was upgraded version of Fargo.) What i think is, it just a waste of money to make another new design ship (in this case, Fargo) than just merely upgrade the rest of Clevelands.
2. What happens actually with Sverdlov-class (I hope that's right pronunciation), especially the Ordzhonikidze. I read that ship is went to Indonesia. But, no one hear that ship again and what i got just merely faint news about that ship scrapped on Taiwan. Is that true?

Thanks for your attention....

Super Tester
1,310 posts

well... 

USN doesnt like top heavy design. 

the reason why they make whole new design for fargo was because they decide that cleveland is way TOO top heavy.

yes

she was. and she was named as KRI Irian back then in Indonesia.

as for what happed to her fate, its even become mystery among Indonesian people

9 posts
4,956 battles

1. Okay then, but why they decide to make Worchester if they don't like heavy design?
2. Well, my friend want to go to Taiwan on September. Because he believe, Irian last location was there. Could someone give me good information the last place Irian sighted?

Thank you.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Some ships are technically repeats that solved whatever the hell the predecessor lacked. An interesting notion for this should be:

Baltimore and Oregon City - you can notice some familiar traits on the Des Moines that directly throw over from the Oregon City

Mogami and Ibuki - well... its a problem because the ship went carrier but Ibuki was supposed to solve the derp Mogami had experienced which was solved when Suzuya and Kumano were built (amusingly, Suzuya is sometimes touted as an "improved" Mogami class since both Mogami and Mikuma had to go back to the slipway to address the "oh shit" levels of terribad seakeeping)

Kuma until Sendai - err visually, the silhouette would look like a freakin Kuma, but the layout differed on each ship. an amusing bit would be that they modded two Kumas to become a torpedo cruiser subclass (honestly, don't ask if Kitakami comes back. thats up to the RUdevs)

Dunno what happened to that Sverdlov but since its Russian, either it was decommissioned or parts were cannibalized for Kri Irian.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

KRI Irian was sold then scrapped to Thailand

Remain the biggest ship ever on service in South east Asia

making petition of kutuzov sister as premium ship

Edited by Harpoon01

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

Official story of KRI Irian were they scrapped to Taiwan

However According to one of the Indonesian Military Journalist (Hendro Subroto from TVRI) that try to track the ships final fate.

The ship reportedly dissarmed after official Navy statement of no spare parts available and sold to Taiwan for scraping .

However the journalist found that there still 2 warehouse full of spare parts on Surabaya Harbour 

but the Russian Engineer that supposedly take charge of maintaning the ship were kicked out of the country (because failed comunist 30 September Movement resulting in Regime changes, and Indonesia cut all ties to all comunist nation) and local engineer dont have sufficient knowledge to handle such a ship

The ship end up neglected and sold to Japan

This period time of Indonesian History were.......  hazy.

since there regime changes, brutal purge, conflict with Dutch, Australia and Malaysia with CIA and KGB involment and such. 

however, like all soviet weapons bought by Indonesian, all were scraped in one way of the other

another modern (at that time) strategic element like Tu-16 were scrapped by Indonesian themself (since russia wont allow the aircraft scrapped at other countries. or.... else)

(which some people were end up wondering why Russian allowed the Cruiser to be scraped at Japan or Taiwan. so there is some rumour say the soviets end up intercepting the ship at sea after making some deal)

either way a funny gigs were when they tried break apart the Tu 16 Strategic Bomber, they found the body of aircraft were very hard (because they have titanium in it) and all their saw and metal cutter either broken apart or become dull

some say they end up using bulldozer to crush it, and smelt the bits into frying pan and spoon

Edited by humusz