You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DogBolter

RN cruisers..... an exercise in ultimate frustration

101 comments in this topic

66 posts
1,565 battles

It teases you, you get to the Caledon and think "this is ok" then you get Emerald and plastered all over the place

Then Leander which feels ok but is gimped by what is a pretty shocklingly short main battery gun range with insta-bounce shells from anything other than flat surfaces....

Then you get Fiji... and the world is awesome.... they tease you with it, sure the guns still suck against destroyers and you can put 30 shells into one of the little sods and only do 3 or 4K damage. You can land 200+ shells for the match and not break 40K damage because 100+ of those will bounce or shatter but you finally get good range, and you never start a fire because apparently the RN never discovered High Explosive and every smoke screen you ever lay will attract a dozen torpedos and you will probably die because all your friendly battleships will be camping at the back of the map afraid to gets hot at... but that ok because the ship rocks

Then you get Edinburgh... the Fiji's big fat- slow turning cousin with the exactly same guns with the same range, but for you effort now you can get deleted by a Yamato in a single shot because some destroyer sailed within 10Km of you, you wont even know they fired at you till you until you detonate, and now your smoke screen attracts 2 dozen torpedo's instead of 1 dozen and every ship will aim for the RN light cruiser for the easy damage numbers, and your friendly battleships will still camp the back of the map and only come out to play after someone else has scouted out the cap point and located the enemy for them.... and at some stage a Belfast will mince meat you, apparently the only ship the RN ever had that had HE shells. If he doesn't kill you himself his radar will detect you from 9km though an island and a battleships somewhere else will kill you with an indirect shot over the island he is hiding behind (rangefinder be damned! we don't need no line of sight!)

Which bring me back to my actual question...

Is there any real reason to play anything other than destroyer or battleships in this game?

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

When you use these ship

Shoot at the superstructure

Most Cruiser Shells will overpen, but british's will simply penetrate normally

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

I'll bite.

What you just wrote is absolutely opposite of my experience with RN cruisers. Leander is fantastic and Fiji even has higher damage potential than something like Belfast. May be you didn't notice that these ships have extremely good concealment with long smoke. Insane acceleration, long range torpedoes, insane AA, hydro/RADAR.... Or you are too used to HE spamming that you do not know how to AP.

They are different, so you need to learn to play.

317 posts
6,856 battles

The short fuse for the RN AP is really short so you have to go for the super structure on Battleships and heavy cruisers. But light cruisers and DD's for the most part melt if you punish them for showing their sides.

I nearly gave up on RN as i was playing Emerald and hated it. Leander was a ship worth getting to and then Fiji was like the light at the end of the tunnel. Now im on my Edinburgh, thats taking some getting use to, but its still fun.  

162 posts
3,301 battles
1 minute ago, icy_phoenix said:

You didn't look at Neptune and Minotaur yet. Come back when you do.

Try NC's aa. They'll melt individual air groups easily enough

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,825 posts
4,103 battles

I've got to say the emerald was a bit of a grind but generally the RNCL line is fun if you do it right.   The Fiji is a massive improvement from the Leander and its a good ship in its own right.

[LBAS]
4,460 posts
25,598 battles
1 minute ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

The Fiji is a massive improvement from the Leander and its a good ship in its own right.

Op ship, i dont remember how I pass Fiji, damn too fast for grinding :cap_rambo:

Edited by MatterCore

Super Tester
802 posts

I'm not sure what world you live in, but RNCLs have no issues taking out DDs or doing meaningful damage in my experience. Nor would I consider the the marginal increase in the Edinburgh's RST making it fat or slow. RNCL's reward good players because there's no EZ HE damage. If you don't do well in them then maybe you should pick another cruiser line, like Russia or Japan.

56 minutes ago, DogBolter said:

but for you effort now you can get deleted by a Yamato in a single shot because some destroyer sailed within 10Km of you,

Literally no different to any other CA being shot at by a Yamato (or any other battleship for that matter). I'm going to guess that you're trying to contest caps and bully DDs away, in which case radar and using island cover is a better solution than relying on smoke to save you. If you're getting spotted at 10km, then you haven't equipped CE or CSM

[MEGA]
4,561 posts
17,548 battles
1 hour ago, fighter9374 said:

Try NC's aa. They'll melt individual air groups easily enough

looks at neptune and minotaur's 1000+ AA DPS

ok?

307 posts
6,410 battles
3 hours ago, DogBolter said:

It teases you, you get to the Caledon and think "this is ok" then you get Emerald and plastered all over the place

Then Leander which feels ok but is gimped by what is a pretty shocklingly short main battery gun range with insta-bounce shells from anything other than flat surfaces....

Then you get Fiji... and the world is awesome.... they tease you with it, sure the guns still suck against destroyers and you can put 30 shells into one of the little sods and only do 3 or 4K damage. You can land 200+ shells for the match and not break 40K damage because 100+ of those will bounce or shatter but you finally get good range, and you never start a fire because apparently the RN never discovered High Explosive and every smoke screen you ever lay will attract a dozen torpedos and you will probably die because all your friendly battleships will be camping at the back of the map afraid to gets hot at... but that ok because the ship rocks

Then you get Edinburgh... the Fiji's big fat- slow turning cousin with the exactly same guns with the same range, but for you effort now you can get deleted by a Yamato in a single shot because some destroyer sailed within 10Km of you, you wont even know they fired at you till you until you detonate, and now your smoke screen attracts 2 dozen torpedo's instead of 1 dozen and every ship will aim for the RN light cruiser for the easy damage numbers, and your friendly battleships will still camp the back of the map and only come out to play after someone else has scouted out the cap point and located the enemy for them.... and at some stage a Belfast will mince meat you, apparently the only ship the RN ever had that had HE shells. If he doesn't kill you himself his radar will detect you from 9km though an island and a battleships somewhere else will kill you with an indirect shot over the island he is hiding behind (rangefinder be damned! we don't need no line of sight!)

Which bring me back to my actual question...

Is there any real reason to play anything other than destroyer or battleships in this game?

Well with the smoke nerf coming up they will be completley useless.  They are in fact obsolete once this happens.  That said i did have fun in the fiji but not every game.

2,214 posts
13,673 battles

I'm currently on the Edinburgh. I don't hate it but OMG I am cursed to lose in this ship which is ruining the experience. All in all I don't think the RN range is bad but you can't afford many mistakes. Saying that though neither can any DD's close to you, especially when you load radar.

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,558 battles
33 minutes ago, keskparane said:

I'm currently on the Edinburgh. I don't hate it but OMG I am cursed to lose in this ship which is ruining the experience. All in all I don't think the RN range is bad but you can't afford many mistakes. Saying that though neither can any DD's close to you, especially when you load radar.

you think you are cursed you dont know what is really a cursed

i hardly get any win with donskoi, mogami and new orleans..someday i have to try 5 times just to get one win

but anyway i enjoy fiji, go up front smoke up ask dd to spot and fire away..when it works its fun but sometimes eat torps but at least the style of play is much more fun and more engaging compare to other line that sit at the back spamming

now i hold on getting edinburgh, my hands are full having too much ships to go thru

[LYNMF]
463 posts
10,350 battles

The cream of the crop is minotaur

I'm grinding RN just bzoc I wanted the minotaur

eventhough leander above is also fun but minotaur is the reason this line is worth it

But it still can be 1 shot killed so easily by whatever BBs :Smile_teethhappy:

191 posts
10,622 battles

Try use radar instead of smoke (have to change playstyle to usn cl). With full concealment the radar range is same as the surface concealment range. Which mean on normal condition anyone who spotted you is well within radar range, and close enough for your shot to not miss. Even better when the enemy ship smoked herself, since they will slow down to almost stationary. Especially effective because most players expect enemy RNCL to always equip smoke. :p

Edited by Exiled_Gundam

162 posts
3,301 battles
5 hours ago, drakon233 said:

looks at neptune and minotaur's 1000+ AA DPS

ok?

I'm just saying that if you want a BB that has 'almost' no fear of the skies look for this ship

5 hours ago, MatterCore said:

meet lady LEX Ess Mid and see how to melt

It's not about melting planes; It's about surviving air attacks and even giving CV players a indirect slap to their hand

162 posts
3,301 battles
2 hours ago, ahwai82 said:

you think you are cursed you dont know what is really a cursed

i hardly get any win with donskoi, mogami and new orleans..someday i have to try 5 times just to get one win

but anyway i enjoy fiji, go up front smoke up ask dd to spot and fire away..when it works its fun but sometimes eat torps but at least the style of play is much more fun and more engaging compare to other line that sit at the back spamming

now i hold on getting edinburgh, my hands are full having too much ships to go thru

Try Graf Spee that is one tough ship to use

[LNA]
1,657 posts
10,412 battles
15 minutes ago, fighter9374 said:

Graf spee is seriously easy to use , just go silent till someone pop a broadside then smack them.

Resist the urge to trade salvoes for salvoes and look for citadel opportunity instead.

162 posts
3,301 battles
42 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

Graf spee is seriously easy to use , just go silent till someone pop a broadside then smack them.

Resist the urge to trade salvoes for salvoes and look for citadel opportunity instead.

I would do that if I can get CE for em
Otherwise it's gonna be a big grind....

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,558 battles
1 hour ago, fighter9374 said:

why bother with this ship when you can have the excellent scharnhorst haha

1,105 posts
7,834 battles

Edinburgh is indeed a Letdown

its a Fiji but bigger with more sadistic  matchmaking

and then there is Nep-Nep which were great ships, (especialy after you escape the horror of grinding edinburgh)

then come the Minotour that will impress you even more