You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
archebuster

How to not be potato

16 comments in this topic

28 posts
565 battles

What I have noticed is that I am not being able to produce a good damage output from my games. It hasn't crossed 100k since the first few days of playing Co op in wows and play terribly in Random. And I am starting to think that I am missing out on something. Specially from Battleships my average is around 14-16k only. And seeing that up in warships today feels like shit.

Anyone can help me with not being a potato with low-mid teir Bbs(German and Japanese), Cl/Ca(French, Japanese and British) and DDs (Americans)? 

Been terribly sucking at random matches.

[LNA]
1,665 posts
10,469 battles

Most likely you have the problem of being at the wrong place at the wrong time shooting the wrong target while moving the wrong ways .

Generally speaking though , gather experience through watching replay is the best advice

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,863 battles

Had a peek at your stats, here is the comment from a green potato player like myself:

Your survival rate is rather low, which might means you should look at the minimap more often.

That is not to say that you should hug that blue line to improve your survival rate.

You should also try to figure out a way to predict enemy torps.

Watch some of the commentaries over the youtube to learn some of the more sophisicated gameplays.

1,493 posts

Hi

First thing to help you, is in the settings in the controls panel, tick show damage, this will show you how much damage you do to enemy ships...

Next thing that will help, on the minimap while in a game, hold down crtl & click on little cogwheel on the top of the minimap, to settings... Tick show enemy last known position. These will show on the minimap as white.... Helps to estimate where the enemy will go, or at least has been.

Next, while you line up next shots in binoculars, hold down left shift key, this will bring up how far enemy target is... On the left is the number of seconds that it will take your shells to get to that location.... When you line up ships, you use the numbers, ie. 6 or so when aiming at at battleship, just after 10 for a cruiser, & 15 or more when aiming at a DD. If you need greater numbers, roll the wheel of the mouse out 1., remember to judge your seconds on the left hand side (little clock symbol)

Another thing, watch YouTube videos, esp of the ships you have, I've learnt many tips that way....

Pressing z follows your shells...

Hope this helps

Ordrazz

980 posts
12,617 battles

Step 1: go to YouTube. 

Step 2: Search "flamu [insert name of the battleship you are playing]" 

Step 3: Pay careful attention to which parts of the enemy he shoots at and what ammunition he uses. 

Try to master shooting at waterline, lower hull (against turtle back battleships only), and super structure. 

Also take note on how he leads his targets when they are not perfectly broadside (i.e sailing diagonally towards you, diagonally award from you, or targets that are turning) 

Step 4: once you've increased your shooting ability, watch the same videos again to observe how flamu defends his battleship using angling, positioning, and island cover. 

Have fun! 

1,347 posts
8,872 battles
3 hours ago, Ordrazz said:

Next, while you line up next shots in binoculars, hold down left shift key, this will bring up how far enemy target is... On the left is the number of seconds that it will take your shells to get to that location....

Or, if your computer can support it, turn on the alternative battle interface mode. Go to your options, then click the settings tab, and find the alternative battle interface option and turn it on to full. That will give you that shell timer and a lot more information all the time without having to press a single key. Imo as long as your computer can support it, there is really no reason not to use the alternative battle interface, unless you think there is too much clutter on the screen.

And talking about Youtube, you might want to watch iChaseGaming's (or iChase for short) Captain's Academy videos. He has a whole bunch of videos which tackles various topics like how to aim, how to angle, etc. Extremely useful for newbie captains! :fish_book:

Super Tester
7,558 posts
8,001 battles

@archebuster, search youtube for specific ships, filter them with descending order of date (latest first). Old ships and meta often don't work after some times. iChase, Flamu, Notser are good to watch but 3-4 games won't tell you much, you need to watch more games to learn positioning on maps.

I see you are playing Kaisar. One of the best T4 BBs in the game (if not the best). Here are some key stuffs that you need to research and practice vs bots a bit more before going in randoms:

Minimap: Key to being a good BB player requires the ability to read minimap, and position yourself accordingly. Minimap will keep feeding you info that you will need every seconds of the game. Make sure to turn on Last known ship position option from minimap (click on the small settings button on your minimap). Enlarge the minimap till it covers almost half height of your screen, enable ship names, torpedo range, concealment range, main battery range and secondary range.

Knowing Enemy: Go to the tech tree, read about the properties and armor models of ships that you will meet in battle, their gun range and torpedo ranges, other properties etc. You need to know your enemy ship's ability more than your own ship's.

Engaging and disengaging: You only survived 15 battles out of 60, thats pretty low. As you are new, its not really much of a problem, it means you go in front too much. In this game, you go in groups. The moment you realize you are getting spammed on, you turn back and fall. Don't worry, enemy wont be able to citadel kaiser. You don't go all the way back, just enough to present others from your team to enemy as better target. But still you want to get closer. Since you can shoot with higher accuracy. But as a battleship, you take hit, you go back, heal, come back again, take hits, go back....... you get the point. Its shameful if all your cruisers die and you are full hp, its also shameful if you die first as a BB. You don't need to advance if enemy is rushing you, take your time and take perfect aim.

Maneuver: Use pre-emptive maneuver. Take special care when coming out from the side of a landmass. Always keep an eye on minimap for torpedo capable ships, if you are in their tropedo range (also notice, DDs cannot always be seen, but use your prediction and their last known position from minimap). Alter speed and direction in your BB every 10 seconds, no one will ever hit you with torps. If you see CV strikes coming, if they are dive bombers, you start zigzag, if they are torpedo bombers, you keep pointing your bow towards them, go full speed, and slow down only after they drop and you need to dodge some. Torp hits you take on your bow, you can repair, but torp hits you take on your side cannot be repaired.

Landmass: Those landmass in low tiers are extremely useful. You use them to cover one side of your ship so you can worry less. Never go in a position where enemy can shoot from both sides, always keep enemy on one side. For Kaiser, it is good to keep them on right side, if you are going forward, or left side if you are running away (cause of the gun layouts).

162 posts
3,319 battles

I'll just list out a number of things you need to know/understand if you wanna improve your win/survival rates:

1)Know how to shoot (Sounds simple, but you'll be surprised how many noobs get their shooting basics wrong
2)Know what to do in your ship (If you're in a BB rain lead and take hits. If you're a dd, go cap bases. That sort of stuff)

3)Check your surroundings (Always, always check your surroundings. Nothing screams 'shoot me' more than getting yourself beached)

4)Understand your ship and your opponents ship (Play to your ship's strengths, and exploit opponent ship's weaknesses)

5)Never ever go off alone (Unless you're a dd, and even then not too far out) A lone ship is a prime target for getting focused down

6)Communicate and cooperate with teammates (You can be the best damn captain in the world or have the best ship (Yes I'm looking at you Yamato), but a group of ships always beat a lone ship

28 posts
565 battles

Beaching has been a problem for me, majority of my cruiser deaths result from not looking at the minimap, due to being engaged in swasbuckling broadside gunbanging and then getting beached. I am trying to minimize this and trying to focus more on the minimap now. Although it is a bit difficult at moment as I am trying to adjust myself to German main battery dispersion or rather Main battery shooting in general. Also being in the wrong side of the map has been  a case for all my ship types. I feel it will take time from my part. 

I have tried to change ammo type and it has some improvement in my damage output by atleast a 10k. A salvo of BB HE on a cruiser does fuck tons of damage than AP in most cases. But plunge fire hits of AP can pretty much citadel dds or cruisers if they hit by chance(But for German BBs, I gotta pray to RNGesus for the dispersion).

Yes, I do rush in. Lol for every ship class that I play cuz I tend to devolve into that instinctual ape which only knows the law of "kill or be killed". I know I have to work on it. I agree with evryone's suggestions. I need to use the landmass more and also have to master wasd hacks

I'll also try watching more gameplay videos.

38 posts
8,650 battles

May I suggest taking a look at Yuro's guides on how to drive ships. 

Yuro is a Youtuber. Also goes by the name of ASTF and Eurobeat

33 posts
4,464 battles

No worries man. Through countless battles and observing. You will definitely get better !

You can start by practicing more in Co-op as well. I was once a terrible player you know. :P

Hint: Do not show broadside or sail in a straight line continuously.

1,493 posts

Heya

Another tip you can do

When you get blown up, right click your mouse, & then you will get to spectate the game through other allied ships....  You can still get to see how they handle those ships, & you can pick up tips .... Or mistakes, Practice glancing at the minimap, etc & when you get sick of it, just press escape back to port...

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,521 battles

Once you think you've learnt how to aim ok, go and watch a guide on YouTube about HE and AP and then another on citadels.

162 posts
3,319 battles

Additional notes: If you're getting spotted by a ship but you can't see it, chances are you're being spotted by a dd. You know what that means? Start WASD hacking right away.