You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
W_M1

IFHE secondary for german T10 BB

16 comments in this topic

26 posts
3,447 battles

shot-17_07.23_11_04.11-0159.thumb.jpg.08758daf1bdc007c9eec03220aac9e0f.jpg

I finally managed to launch my very first T10 ship, after more than 200 battles with H-39, to random battle. And, thank god, this BB is totally bad*** so far. I've never shoot 12 shells in a single salvo until I ride this one. Definitely my next key vehicle.

What's even better is that WG recently buffed its secondary range from 10.6km to 11.6km, if you're fully equipped for the secondary turret setting. And now 128mm secondary turrets fire a second faster than before(5s -> 4s). Since I'm a huge fan of the secondary setting with every high-tier german BBs, I'm so happy to use this one without any hesitation. Then I realized that 128mm uses slightly different armor penetration formula; caliber * 1/4, instead of 1/6. That means if my german BB captain learn to use IFHE, every secondary turrets of GK will begin to penetrate the bow and stern of every BBs, and even the entire armor belt and deck of every US BBs, in T10 room. While it's so bad that I need to cut down the chance of fire even further, this sounds pretty tempting to me since I like to go infighting against enemy BBs when the time is right, and I don't want to rely on the luck; the possibility of fire. If there are any german BB users who are using IFHE secondary, any advice will be appreciated.

683 posts
7,338 battles

First of all, congratulations for obtaining GK. she is one of my favourite tier 10 ship as well :)

I personally go for full secondary spec GK, and IFHE is actually worth it. During brawling a lot of time your opponent Will position their BB angled or bow on. IFHE will help to do consistent damage on them. 

But do remember GK is a big ship and very slow in turning. Before you rush in for close quarter fight, always remember to assess the situation before going in. Yes she can melt DD with secondaries, but not fast enough to prevent them from launching torp. She can take quite a biting from enemy shells, but no one is invulnerable.

[LNA]
1,659 posts
10,430 battles

You will need to weight the cons and advantages of going with or without the 4pts anti fire skill.

I personally would recommend the anti fire rather than IFHE. Point is , anti fire help you get up to the  CQC distance and lessen the damage you when you cant safely get into a CQC , it is universally useful.

More damage from secondaries are always welcome , though you survive long enough to get it to fire effectively is another story since CA/CL will always drool when a German bb is spotted from 18km  away

1,386 posts
8,224 battles

If you pick IFHE for secondaries, it means you should also get AFT and M2nd. Which means 18/19 point captain and no fire prevention/concealment expert, two skills essential for T10 BB survival. IMO it's not a good choice.

Personal skill pick suggestion

Lvl 1 Expert reloader/Situational awareness

Lvl 2 EM+AR

Lvl 3 SI

Lvl 4 CE+FP

And the remaining three points, IMO, is best spent on Vigilance.

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,505 battles

I love secondaries, don't get me wrong however I would prioritise other skills over secondary build any day.

Simple reason is that as a % of your damage, main guns and surviving are a much bigger contributor.

If you have the points to spare after speccing survival and stuff, defo however wouldn't prioritise secondaries...

This is IMO and I'm far from a unicum so take it with a grain of salt.

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,856 battles
2 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

You will need to weight the cons and advantages of going with or without the 4pts anti fire skill.

I personally would recommend the anti fire rather than IFHE. Point is , anti fire help you get up to the  CQC distance and lessen the damage you when you cant safely get into a CQC , it is universally useful.

More damage from secondaries are always welcome , though you survive long enough to get it to fire effectively is another story since CA/CL will always drool when a German bb is spotted from 18km  away

I have some wild idea.

What about ditching AFT for FP. That way you still have 9.7km range (with 2nd mod + flag) yet still benefit from Manual + IFHE?

[LNA]
1,659 posts
10,430 battles
4 minutes ago, Admiral_Neptulussus said:

I have some wild idea.

What about ditching AFT for FP. That way you still have 9.7km range (with 2nd mod + flag) yet still benefit from Manual + IFHE?

I wouldnt ditch AFT since it also spook CV from getting you , i would ditch manual secondary since i use them as a deterrence and my YOLO tendency do take me to places where there are more than 1 close by enemy.

Also the secondaries has a high firing arc , you can be a cunning chap and hide behind islands while your secondaries shred stuffs close by. This is very possible with AFT and is one of the possibility that makes AFT much more valuable than Manual. At 10km , the shells will have a high enough arc to start plunging tendency and hit deck rather than hull.

Used this trick on islands hugging bb and CA and forced them to come out of hiding or eat fires continuously

Edited by legionary2099

[LNA]
1,659 posts
10,430 battles
1 hour ago, WongSongMing said:

Do the German main guns get better from bismarck or are they all steaming garbage?

They are all trashy in terms of dispersion and damage potential , but they do get better caliber for more overmatch opportunities and best traverse for barrel size

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles
4 hours ago, WongSongMing said:

Do the German main guns get better from bismarck or are they all steaming garbage?

You don't need to worry about accuracy when you shoot 12 guns. But yeah, she is still the most inaccurate T10 BB.

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,505 battles
10 hours ago, Onlinegamer said:

useful

YOU PICKED WRONG TARGET F**F!!! <<<Big Smoke sound

shot-17.06.17_16.00.12-0618-crop.jpg

shot-17.06.29_20.58.46-0604-crop.jpg

I stand corrected...

372 posts
10,097 battles
11 hours ago, Onlinegamer said:

useful

YOU PICKED WRONG TARGET F**F!!! <<<Big Smoke sound

shot-17.06.17_16.00.12-0618-crop.jpg

shot-17.06.29_20.58.46-0604-crop.jpg

Your opponents must have been brain dead...

683 posts
7,338 battles

Actually it's not easy to run away from an opponent especially in a BB, thus when a GK manages to get close to enemy BB, well, the secondaries will really really build up damage over time.

I have been using GK before they change the HE penetration value from 1/6 to 1/4 calibre. Yes, the fire chance much reduced, but the direct damage dealt by GK secondaries IFHE significantly improved.

I had the same dilemma if I should take up other tier 4 skills and trade with something like... concealment expert? But that'd significantly reduce the power of secondaries... :(