Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
PGM991

vigilance & target acquisition : why these two become almost obsolete...

7 comments in this topic

1,126 posts

I may not the top player, but I believe I'm one of the old time player that start playing since game early launch.

one word form noster video that kick my thought 

'WG didn't trust they own design'

and my own thought is 'WG break it's own design'

okay, torpedo are the most dangerous weapon in game

and WG give the player a 'tool' to counter it, 

first tool is skill 'vigilance' 

second tool is 'hydro acoustic search'

and third tool is an upgrade called 'target acquisition' 

'target acquisition' are at last slot, so by no means it was 'design' for high tier ship to counter dangerous torpedo at high tier (i.g. kagero & shimakaze's original long range torpedo)

each skill, each upgrade need to have it own usefulness and able to compete with other skill in same slot.

but these day...

let me ask, who use 'target acquisition' upgrade?

no one,

if one use, other will say instantly that they pick wrong one.

why,

because current game state, 'concealment' is EVERYTHING

which it shouldn't be that way

in original game design I believe that WG intend that a big ship like a BB should not concern about stealth, but 'have to' worry about torpedo.

worry enough to pick 'target acquisition' instead of 'concealment' and combine with 'vigilance' so that able to counter a torpedo threat.

that's why original kagero and shimakaze torpedo are so dangerous, they 'intend' to make big ship be wary.

they want player to have a 'tough choice' about which should I pick...

if I prefer stealth, I'll risk eating torpedo..

if I prefer safe form torpedo, I lose stealth perk.

this is how it should be!

this is how 'target acquisition' able to compete with 'concealment'

but many many player still choose stealth, and whine about torpedo without realize that WG already give them a 'tool' to counter torpedo but they just don't use it

instead of 'encourage' player to pick that tool as a counter measure, they 'nerf' torpedo to almost oblivion.

and to day... 'concealment upgrade' become 'must pick' for almost every ship in game

this is not how it should be

-------------------------------------------------------

let's think about it this way...

if high tier IJNDD (tier with last slot upgrade) torpedo retain it strength till these day....... what gonna happen?

if WG keep encourage the player to pick 'vigilance' and 'target acquisition' to counter torpedo instead of nerfing it.......... what gonna happen?

if not enough, WG might buff 'vigilance' and 'target acquisition' to be more effective............. what gonna happen?

a number of player that decide to pick 'vigilance' and 'target acquisition' would increase.

a fearsome 20km torpedo will reduce to manageable level.

number of stealthy ship will reduce 

AND number is ship that able to stealth fire with ease because 'concealment upgrade' will also decrease

WG may not even need to fix those 'stealth firing' in the first place since 'target acquisition' have it own very usefulness form detect torpedo threat.

and when 20km torpedo start to show it less and less effective, player may go for other option, shorter range but faster torpedo.

if WG trust they original design...

may be, just may be

all these mess may not happen

game may be more dynamic like it design to be

and... that's it, IMO WG has break it own design...

----------------------------------------------------

well, I just voice out (or rather... text out) my thought.

thanks for reading

if not, than it's okay.

Spoiler

and noster video which I'm not gonna repeat pose it here

Edited by PGM991

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles
22 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

skilled players dont need it, unskilled players dont even know about it,EZ

^^ This

Literally the best way to put it.

Since torps are unreliable, so are the skills designed to defend against torps.

1,105 posts

who need Vigilance and Acquisition range if you have pocket CV....

better spending it to BFT for AA.... and why take Vigilance if you have RDF?

and btw i dont take concealment upgrade for Bismarck.... why hide if you can farming dreadnought :v

1,342 posts
8,858 battles
3 hours ago, PGM991 said:

but many many player still choose stealth, and whine about torpedo without realize that WG already give them a 'tool' to counter torpedo but they just don't use it

instead of 'encourage' player to pick that tool as a counter measure, they 'nerf' torpedo to almost oblivion.

This is kinda like those players who constantly whine about CVs, but don't bother doing anything that would help against them. They don't bother building their ships for AA, they don't bother with AA skills, and they don't take DFAA if they have the option of doing so.

Anyway back on topic, I am not sure how much of this is WG's fault and how much of this is just the playerbase being dumb. I think its a mixture of both. WG doesn't trust their own design so when the playerbase complains about something instead of realising they had the tools to deal with it all along, WG goes ahead and changes stuff to appease the players, which ends up screwing even more stuff down the line.

Beta Tester
213 posts
4,131 battles

The only ship i use target acquisition is Arkansas and it work for me, back to the day that most CV player  try to remove enemy CV at the begin of match, target acquisition is some how useful to detect enemy plane sneaky around, but now there is not much reason to use it..

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Prefer stealth build because you covered yourself from early enemy shelling & long-range torpedo.

Vigilance perk & TAmod upgrade are still bad investment for me. When it's cheaper to never go straight line & slow down & zigzag.

On the other hand, as destroyer with long to medium range torpedo. If you want few torpedo hits, don't trust the torpedo lead indicator & fire ahead & behind it JUST SPREAD IT. (if you have enough torpedo launchers though) Or don't use them until you are certain.

Sign in to follow this