You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grygus_Triss

Shiratsuyu - brought down to mediocrity

6 comments in this topic

247 posts
5,825 battles

Dear Wargaming

Doubt this is the right place for this, I do not expect anything to happen, but I felt I needed to say it.

I was very disappointed when I found out that Shiratsuyu had its smoke and torpedo booster placed in the same slot.

Before, the Shira was a fun ship to play, great for those who liked stealth torpedoing, and made it easy for mediocre gamers like myself to contribute to the team, both by creating torpedo walls (more often than not, only making ships turn way, not actually hitting them) and covering allies in smoke.

Lets be honest, most captains will pick smoke, as it will be more useful most of the time, and gives you greater utility to the fleet (especially given that IJN destroyers do not have good AA).

Now, much of that ability has been removed, and left with a ship that is only mediocre, if not less, compared to its peers. It has nothing that makes it stand out, and only a smaller detection radius is its only advantage over Akatsuki.

A long range torpedo boat is going to miss most of the time, and the torpedo booster gave you the ability to increase you chances several times during a battle, it made the ship unique.

Maybe I'm just a poor player who liked something that improved my playstyle, maybe I need to improve my skills (as a casual player, do not necessarily have the time).

But please, consider giving the Shiratsuyu back the smoke and torpedo booster, even at the old cooldown time, ever if the reload time is increased to 20 seconds or so; It will make the ship fun and much loved again.

Grygus

[PANTS]
39 posts
10,009 battles

Not that I necessarily agree with WG's sledgehammer approach (as usual) to nerfing or buffing ships, but Shiratsuyu absolutely did need some nerfing, evident after last ranked season.

The current Shiratsuyu is certainly not a very strong ship anymore. As you said, Akatsuki is better than in almost all aspects. But not all, mind you - Shiratsuyu still has that 5.8km detection range for a T7 ship, and that alone means it still has its niche.

In the game's history there have been strong ships that became not-so-strong and vice versa. It's just a fact you have to deal with if you favorite ship gets nerfed. At its current state, the Shiratsuyu might be much weaker than it used to be, but I don't think it's weak to the point where it needs special attention.

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,863 battles

I think she just only need to have her guns buffed so she could be more gunboat-y.

Maybe:

• Increase her rate of fire to 9.5 rpm from 8 rpm (6.3 seconds reload instead of 7.5 seconds)
  • Increase her turret traverse to 7 deg/sec from 6 deg/sec (25.7 seconds instead of 30 seconds required to do 180 deg traverse)

That way her gunnery would be more fitting of a gunboat and hence less awkward captain skill leveling path. Keep in mind that TRB cooldown is much shorter than the other line, so I limited the amount of buff so that the gun performance is still slightly below the T8 torpedoboats.

Edited by Admiral_Neptulussus

247 posts
5,825 battles

@cyqsimon

You are right. While I was never a player of that calibre, I can see from YouTube that many players used Shira to devastating effect. The buff was needed, and while I have not gone back to Shira yet, when and If I do, i'm sure whichever way I choose to play will make little overall difference to the team.

I do wish that Wargaming would try something other than the sledgehammer approach, though I doubt it, so I will have to get used to it.

Cheers

435 posts
6,169 battles

I’ve just sold it! (building up funds for RN BBs).

Was really fun ship to captain, something different and a maverick of torpedo boats.

Now there better principals to battle with.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

I played Shiratsuyu before & after the nerf. Sure the separated smoke & torpedo booster were fun.

After the change, I don't feel the nerf is drastic as most "torp booster"-dependents said.

Had 2 good gameplay on my Shiratsuyu, I used smoke to cover my teammates & hopefully survived longer, which they did.

Spoiler