You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
drakon233

DD: GTFO MY SMOKE YOU DAMN YAMATO

how stupid is this change  

73 members have voted

1. 1. how stupid is removing smoke camping

• i love this change
    • i can live with it
    • meh
    • i dont like it
    • please no
    • WTF WG did you consume the entire stock of russia's vodka supply?
    • im quitting this game

58 comments in this topic

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

New Mechanic: Smoke-firing Penalty !! WARNING: We speculate that this new mechanic will work as follows.

However, unveiling the actual effect requires further investigation.

Now, smoke-firing will not be as pleasant as it used to be. Ships fire inside (or around) smoke screen will accelerate the dissipation of smoke. For example: Gearing's 1-click firing will reduce 0.24 (0.12×2) sec. lifetime of all smoke cloud in a radius of 630 meters. Larger caliber guns have better effect on smoke dissipating. The biggest 460mm has the basic smoke-dissipation penalty of 5.91 seconds. That is, each 1-click shot will cause 17.73 sec of smoke dissipation and one salvo will almost blow away an entire smoke screen!

let's see, RIP RNCLs, RIP ketuzov, RIP belfast, RIP USN DDs, RIP smoke fishing, RIP using smoke in rank, RIP teamwork, RIP any remaining intrest i have in the game.

this change is ridiculous

Edited by drakon233

157 posts
4,084 battles

So with one change they have managed to remove one of the main things going for almost all DD's and the RNCL line, I can tell this is going to go down well. That said it's difficult to make the IJN DD's even worse than they are now so this might be an improvement for them.

WG buffs IJN DD's by nerfing everyone who hunts them.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles
1 minute ago, darkflame88 said:

So with one change they have managed to remove one of the main things going for almost all DD's and the RNCL line, I can tell this is going to go down well. That said it's difficult to make the IJN DD's even worse than they are now so this might be an improvement for them.

oh no, this is actually a direct buff to IJN DDs, since they can trade the now useless smoke for torp reload boosters :Smile_trollface:

#makeIJNDDgreatagain

118 posts
1,833 battles
18 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

New Mechanic: Smoke-firing Penalty !! WARNING: We speculate that this new mechanic will work as follows.

Now, smoke-firing will not be as pleasant as it used to be. Ships fire inside (or around) smoke screen will accelerate the dissipation of smoke. For example: Gearing's 1-click firing will reduce 0.24 (0.12×2) sec. lifetime of all smoke cloud in a radius of 630 meters. Larger caliber guns have better effect on smoke dissipating. The biggest 460mm has the basic smoke-dissipation penalty of 5.91 seconds. That is, each 1-click shot will cause 17.73 sec of smoke dissipation and one salvo will almost blow away an entire smoke screen!

let's see, RIP RNCLs, RIP ketuzov, RIP belfast, RIP USN DDs, RIP smoke fishing, RIP using smoke in rank, RIP teamwork, RIP any remaining intrest i have in the game.

Not to mention, RIP Flint.( though not many people have it)

1,347 posts
8,872 battles

Hmm with the buffing of IJN torpedo reload boosters and this change, it is apparent that WG thinks there is too much smoke in the game.

But this will be a very big balance change, probably even bigger than the open water stealth firing removal.

USN DDs (plus Akizuki) and RN CLs would be the hardest hit and may need some rebalancing.

Edited by Thyaliad

162 posts
3,319 battles
1 hour ago, drakon233 said:

While we're at it why not make radars and hydro more 'Historically Accurate' by making it so that it doesn't go past islands??

1,105 posts

IJN DD Captain with Torpedo Reload Boosta:

LOL Yugumo got real Hard BUFF!! WG you are the BEST....

Smoke got nerf, now the LOOOONG Range Artilery is the boss

GET YOUR FRENCH CA NOW! in game best CA!

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Totally not ripped off from Reddit:

Wargaming is trying their hardest to combat BB overpopulation; Sadly, designing high tier maps to be completely open around key areas, so squishy ships don't have any cover did not work as planned. Removing stealth fire did not work either, so they resorted to giving out free Bismarcks to everyone and their mothers but it just didn't work. Hopefully the removal of smoke fire will work in reducing the BB population, but if that doesn't help, maybe introducing a BB line with defensive AA, Radar and uberheal will finally have the effect WG has been looking for.

... wait a minute...

People always gonna looks for way to be invulnerable, or have a massive advantage - thats why stealth fire and smoke fire is a thing.

Also, thank god I didn't touch RN CL :Smile_glasses:

Edited by Alvin1020

1,126 posts

it's been far too much smoke for a long time, good thing that WG start to address this issue.

WG first mistake is start giving CL/CA a smoke. (IMO, smoke should be DD signature) now that too many smoke, they have to fix it some how.

their next mistake is they plan to give some BB/DD a radar that suppose to be CA/CL signature.

and don't worry, thing will get more and more messier from now on.

[BLUMR]
23 posts
3,840 battles

So, how about those who fire into the smoke? Does the mechanism works for those who are shooting at the smoke as well?

Beta Tester
213 posts
4,131 battles

Just wonder how much dissipation of 120mm gun and below, depend on the penalty value, my be it will turn into advantage of low caliber gun like 10cm, 120mm and 75mm gun on IJN ship :cap_hmm:

It would funny if ppl just change from camp in smoke to camp 630m behind the smoke (can expect a mod that can reveal distant between ship and smoke), and there will more radar from RN CL, RIP tier 8+ DD

Edited by K135Blitzkrieg

Super Tester
7,564 posts
8,001 battles

Technically its not a problem, Unless it's UK CL, I sit behind the smoke, not inside the smoke in most time. It is not hard to exploit even if they implement these. But I think Smoke Camping is justified, gives WG more opportunity to stuff RADAR with every freaking ship they can come up with in future. 

[Edit]

On a second thought, premium ship smokes may not change :D

Rubbing my Kutuzov and Belfast

Edited by icy_phoenix

1,386 posts
8,244 battles
17 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Technically its not a problem, Unless it's UK CL, I sit behind the smoke, not inside the smoke in most time. It is not hard to exploit even if they implement these. But I think Smoke Camping is justified, gives WG more opportunity to stuff RADAR with every freaking ship they can come up with in future. 

[Edit]

[Edit 2]

Looks at Derpitz 105mm fire chance and alpha damage, Dunkerque fighter duration… *grab Kutuzov, wrap it up and throw it away*

Super Tester
2,725 posts
13 hours ago, drakon233 said:

Sounds logical, not stupid. The blast after the projectile exited the barrel should dissipate the smoke.

Though I am hoping for accuracy penalty under the smoke as well.

Smoke is used to cover the fleet, not camp in it! Silly! :Smile-_tongue:

1 step closer to realism I see

Edited by Mingfang47

211 posts
9,931 battles

This info was leaked and nothing is final only tested amongst competitive teams is what I've heard, they've all expressed their disgust towards these particular changes and may have already been rejected as change of mechanics.

Other (better) idea's have been put forward to WG, opinions have been voiced that of BB's currently being too strong as a more pressing issue to smoke camping.

But recent trends suggest that there will be a change to smoke mechanics.

If i can remember an old interview with Sub_Octavian. He said that WG wanted to address aspects of the game that were considered not fun, such as being fired out without a way to retaliate.

Eg, inviso firing, firing from smoke and firing from behind islands.

But yeah, nothing is final and all is subjected to change.

1 hour ago, icy_phoenix said:

[Edit]

Remember all ships were affected by stealth fire changes, including premiums.

189 posts
4,857 battles

Why remove smoke when you can return (yes I'm talking to the devs) one of the most outstanding features of the game when it was released?

Why you have to use a ton of ways why not work with a super simple one: Torpedoes

Back in those days, you camp in smoke at one place, you see metal fishes, BOOM! Get back to port, son

And now? Really, giving us Belfast is the best ******* idea ever. You got smoke, you got Hydro, you got Radar, and you don't have to ******* (guess you know that word now) choose to sacrifice any of them.

What if there's a BB in smoke and Belfast comes in? BB gets free damage, of course

What if DD sits in smoke and Belfast comes in? Free damage for the "premium" guy

But, (not a what if), think of those good 5.x days, you don't even care what's the thing sitting in the smoke, you don't think any DDs are nearby (when it's a yes) and he launches metal fishes at you, you're dead. Staying in smoke for too long (or not constantly swapping position in smoke) and you offer the guys free damage.

And you bring back one of the most favored lines especially on this server, why not??

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,972 battles

So they are nerfing smoke to the point where it is almost 100% useless..... AND adding more Radar with UK BB's....

Ok.. so people will only play Russian DD or none at all. No more RNCL either.

1,107 posts
7,844 battles
17 hours ago, darkflame88 said:

What

IJN DD shoot people like every 8s

thats hardly a nerf

Minotour on other hand

0.24s x 5 turret = 1.2 second smoke dissipations every 3.2 second

now............

that was a nerf

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Well

I i already got used to play torp booster, even if i have it, i use it for escape or naking cover

So this does not really affect me

Edited by Harpoon01