You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Puteralanun

Should I buy back Cleveland for ranked battle?

24 comments in this topic

218 posts
3,793 battles

Currently, I'm using Fuso and Aoba (the only tier 6 ships I have left) for ranked. I'm doing quite alright. But It's getting monotonous after a while. I'm thinking of buying back a Cleveland and play it in ranked just for variety sake. But then I remember my last Cleveland grind. It was a nightmare. I sold it as soon as I get to Pepsicola. So I wonder, is Cleveland worth it?

1,105 posts

why people use those crap Aoba on Ranked......

fuso Fuso FUSO FUSO!!! FUSO!!!!

2x6 Turret, GG high damage, like a boss..... not like a boss, Fuso is the real BOSS

[lel, CV still ur enemy]

1,028 posts
7,503 battles
3 hours ago, Puteralanun said:

So I wonder, is Cleveland worth it?

Hmm, hard to say for anyone else if it is worth it FOR YOU.

IMHO, the Cleveland is great if the enemy team has a good CV driver.

When I first unlocked the Cleveland I had big expectations because everybody praises the ship. I found that the only ships that do not out-range Cleveland are DD's... and Leander (which has smoke, so DD-ish).

But glorious when you drive a Cleveland and a CV driver is stupid enough to send his squadrons near you :) which doesn't happen all that often...

1,496 posts

I keep most of my ships, because not only are they handy in any ranks battles as variety, when I div up with people in my clan (HMAS) or anyone else on my list, I can play any tier they have, because quite a few only have a certain tier, so I can say yep, I can play this, or this...

I have 53 ships & counting

besides, our clan regularly has low tier battles, & also do count ins to battles,  & target each other, its great fun....

Once you get the ship, if it sits in port then it doesn't cost again unless you use it..

variety is the spice of life..

go ahead, get it again

:Smile_child:

Ordrazz

Edited by Ordrazz

319 posts
6,891 battles

I only got my Cleveland yesterday, so still getting my modules for it, so my experience is limited. 

In the few games that iv'e had iv'e done a decent amount of damage and XP. Positioning is paramount with this ship, and if you cannot find good cover then sail close-ish to friendly BB's so they are the focus target for enemy fire, and in return (should there be a CV) you will offer them AA support.

Personally with the lack of CV's in Ranked ( i'm at R9 ) it renders a good portion of the Cleveland's kit useless, but in Randoms there is a higher chance of being up against CV's and then its a really strong ship. The Leander is a much better ship in Ranked play - Smoke + Heal is a great combo. Low detecability and a pretty fast ship is a good trade off for being squishy.

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

Cleveland is fantastic in ranked, only if you know how to position. If you can get in place behind strategic islands in ranked and spam HE from there, you can easily take down enemy BBs who decide to come too close (with perhaps a little help from your team). You don't really need the DFAA as far as I've noticed, in most games where there are no CVs it's only good for shooting down pesky spotter and catapult aircraft. If your AA is upgraded, then just take sonar to deal with smoke camping DDs and torps. For me, I went for a balanced build with AA on the hull (AA mod 2) and more damage on the captain (PT, AR, DE, IFHE, CE (will probably take AFT later))

When I play BB, the targets I'd usually go for first will be the Clevelands due to their relatively high ROF. Good Cleveland players are a handful, but great Cleveland players are very few. Just remember that while you can usually achieve quite high damage, it doesn't really carry the team very well.

[LBAS]
164 posts
3,932 battles

If you know how to position yourself (I am still learning) and are patient (Still learning) and prepared to wait for the targets to come into range......

Then the Cleveland is awesome. So much gun, such fast reload. 3 volleys in the air at once at max range. Glorious fire everywhere!

I got 20K in fire damage one game. The one game where the RNG loved me. The rest of the time, I am it's bitch.

True, I don't have IFHE yet, I went for Concealment first and am still grinding my captain. (1.2 points to go) 

However, so long as you have smoke to hide in (and have a strong exist strategy already in place and are pointed in that direction) or an island to hide behind, you are a golden god of damage! Just...... dont get hit, even the Bayern can strip 4/5 of your health in one salvo if you are unlucky.

Remember, you are in a Cleveland, don't be afraid to run away!

Video Contributor
2,267 posts
10,789 battles

from PT base I tested

7 games WR was 100%

Cleveland with IFHE and AA suite = everything is god = WR100% 4 games

NM no idea because stronger armor and AA is better = WR100% 3 games

Fuso is really good without CV main guns  = delete pls

[LNA]
1,666 posts
10,492 battles
3 hours ago, _Magical_Stir_Fry_Cat_ said:

So basically ap on the Cleve is crappola? 

Island fondling with HE seems to be the go? 

I'm finding ap can't pen most things-even broadside targets.

US 152mm and below will decimate any ships foolish enough to go broadside CQC with them. Fling them at superstructure at below 9km and you will out dpm just about anything and saturation dont affect AP as much.

US AP enjoy very good angle advantage, use them in CQC to kill stuffs.

It is certainly not crap , but it has limited use unless you are close

31 posts
1,137 battles
2 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

US 152mm and below will decimate any ships foolish enough to go broadside CQC with them. Fling them at superstructure at below 9km and you will out dpm just about anything and saturation dont affect AP as much.

US AP enjoy very good angle advantage, use them in CQC to kill stuffs.

It is certainly not crap , but it has limited use unless you are close

Yeah cheers for the input...

Getting close is risky...but no problems there but burning peeps  is the better strat for Cleve? 

Cos terribad shell arc...

Can u actually pen bb's with 152's

[LNA]
1,666 posts
10,492 battles
1 hour ago, _Magical_Stir_Fry_Cat_ said:

Yeah cheers for the input...

Getting close is risky...but no problems there but burning peeps  is the better strat for Cleve? 

Cos terribad shell arc...

Can u actually pen bb's with 152's

Yes u can cit low tier bb with Cleveland 152mm, problem is u have to be at 4km or closer with them broadside to u. I have done it to Kongou once at 3km.

However Cleve job is dpm , not citadel scoring. Use your RoF to pummel their superstructure and u will see how freightening it is to CQC a US CA/CL.

No cruiser or dd will want to be near you , and bb will have to face bow on to you or risk getting 2-6k salvo flinged at them every 8s.

If you have IFHE , HE can replace AP unless u want to citadel a cruiser in range.

31 posts
1,137 battles
34 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

Yes u can cit low tier bb with Cleveland 152mm, problem is u have to be at 4km or closer with them broadside to u. I have done it to Kongou once at 3km.

However Cleve job is dpm , not citadel scoring. Use your RoF to pummel their superstructure and u will see how freightening it is to CQC a US CA/CL.

No cruiser or dd will want to be near you , and bb will have to face bow on to you or risk getting 2-6k salvo flinged at them every 8s.

If you have IFHE , HE can replace AP unless u want to citadel a cruiser in range.

Cheers for the info...

Will get get IFHE next and strap on the man pants in the meantime AND AIM WELL! 

[151ST]
1,014 posts
4,526 battles

The real question is why did you sell it in the first place, Cleveland has always been very strong...

372 posts
10,107 battles
3 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

The real question is why did you sell it in the first place, Cleveland has always been very strong...

Not any more, it's been powercreeped and also suffers from T6 matchmaking.

[151ST]
1,014 posts
4,526 battles
19 hours ago, WongSongMing said:

Not any more, it's been powercreeped and also suffers from T6 matchmaking.

You're kidding right?

It's still an amazingly strong ship, and I would argue top of Cruisers alongside Leander and Perth (assuming a good player).

Not powercreeped like high tier IJN CAs and radar...

[LNA]
1,666 posts
10,492 battles
6 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

You're kidding right?

It's still an amazingly strong ship, and I would argue top of Cruisers alongside Leander and Perth (assuming a good player).

Until u get ocean and tears of desert then you might as well throw your PC out of da window

372 posts
10,107 battles
7 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

You're kidding right?

Budyonny is a better Cleveland in most situations, it has far higher effective range and better speed. Cleveland is no longer the fire spitting and uncitable monster it was in the past.

[151ST]
1,014 posts
4,526 battles
17 hours ago, WongSongMing said:

Budyonny is a better Cleveland in most situations, it has far higher effective range and better speed. Cleveland is no longer the fire spitting and uncitable monster it was in the past.

To be honest I've had more issues vsing Clevelands than Budyonnys...