You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
JohnBalls

I need help with manual drop :'(

18 comments in this topic

9 posts
1,124 battles

Hello there comrade captains!

It's been awhile since I played carrier. The last time I played CV was before they removed the manual drop on T4 and T5 CV. So i worked my way up to T6 CV and said "Yes! I can finally manual drop!". But, there is a problem. The usual manual drop button, left ALT key, doesn't seem to work. Have they changed the manual drop key? If so, what is the new key? I do not read patch notes :cap_cool:so i'm missing a lot here.

Help me comrade captains, you are my only hope 

294 posts
2,997 battles

Make sure your alternate mouse buttons aren't activated in the interface. That changes the way manual drop key configurations work. Otherwise left alt key still works so you seem to be on the right track.

[LNA]
1,660 posts
10,438 battles

I cant give you concrete advice if you dont state what you have difficulty in.

Torp placing is more about feeling and prediction than anything.You need to remaster the feeling with a few matches to regain the sense.

Too lazy to upload images, when i have time i will upload some images on some standard drop tactics

294 posts
2,997 battles

What folks(like me) really struggle is that sweet spot between the distance of the drop and the time needed for torps to get armed. If you drop em too close, the torps will simply vanish after making contact with the target ship. Too far and the enemy would simply turn to evade. Depending on the skill-set and the agility of the enemy' boat, chances are high that they will completely dodge your torp spread. This problem is quite heavy with IJN simply because they have the fastest torps and that torp arming takes time. It takes even more time to rearm if you end up taking the second captain skill where you trade torp range for speed.

Long story short, hit the co-op mode. Do target practices on bots. Sooner or later, you will get your groove.

435 posts
6,169 battles

Try “Follow Mode” only, that is don’t switch between overhead or map view for the whole game.

It does take a bit of practice but lining up torpedo and bomb drops in an attacking view is reasonable, you simply have a closer 3D view of the target . The hardest thing I found was switching between units because you lose your space ordination but map awareness prior to switch helps.

Also (tip) pre-select targets with auto drop so you can guide in yourself in for last minute switch to manual attack.

One exception for follow mode is strafing, you can only do this effectively in overhead view. It's because the enemy planes are too far away to see last minute flight changes.

The main reason I started this is so that I can see the full 3D aspect of all the ships, the same as if you were playing in any other ship.

Edited by BuckleUpBones

783 posts
4,819 battles
17 hours ago, LonerPrime said:

Make sure your alternate mouse buttons aren't activated in the interface. That changes the way manual drop key configurations work. Otherwise left alt key still works so you seem to be on the right track.

Quoting for emphasis on what the OP is looking.

9 posts
1,124 battles
21 hours ago, LonerPrime said:

3 hours ago, SZYZWY said:

Quoting for emphasis on what the OP is looking.

Hey guys! Thanks for the help. I found out why I can't do the manual drop. The manual drop key, left ALT key, wasn't assigned to the alternated battle mode key in the controls section. I have no idea why the left ALT key wasn't assigned to any key assignments. After assigning the left alt key to the designated assignment, I am finally able to manual drop! Time to brush up my manual dropping skills.  

9 posts
1,124 battles
21 hours ago, THUNDERCOMMANDER4 said:

and the manual drop its self is a skill u gotta learn and its hard to master 

Yes master!

9 posts
1,124 battles
21 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

I cant give you concrete advice if you dont state what you have difficulty in.

Torp placing is more about feeling and prediction than anything.You need to remaster the feeling with a few matches to regain the sense.

Too lazy to upload images, when i have time i will upload some images on some standard drop tactics

My difficulty has been solved. Oh yes, I do have to remaster the feeling of manual dropping. It has been too long since I experience the feels in manual dropping.

9 posts
1,124 battles

I am playing USN CV, specifically T6 USS Independence. I do love the additional dive bomber squadron on the first flight module. I've been switching out on 1/1/1 and 0/1/2. I really like strike independence because of the potential damage output. Worst case scenario : facing an enemy independence with fighter loadout. The struggle when using a USN CV is choosing the right loadout. 

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles
3 minutes ago, JohnBalls said:

I am playing USN CV, specifically T6 USS Independence. I do love the additional dive bomber squadron on the first flight module. I've been switching out on 1/1/1 and 0/1/2. I really like strike independence because of the potential damage output. Worst case scenario : facing an enemy independence with fighter loadout. The struggle when using a USN CV is choosing the right loadout. 

One word of advice, don't go strike loadout while doing ranked cuz the CV players in there are something else, they won't even let your bombers have a moment of rest. Not to mention that when you go strike in ranked, you're bound to incite the rage of your own teammates.

9 posts
1,124 battles
23 hours ago, Shiroyasha_Gintoki said:

One word of advice, don't go strike loadout while doing ranked cuz the CV players in there are something else, they won't even let your bombers have a moment of rest. Not to mention that when you go strike in ranked, you're bound to incite the rage of your own teammates.

Thank you for the advice. I don't plan to bring the Independence onto rank. CV is not really my main tree line to play, it's more of a leisure or for fun. I play BB most of the time. 

9 posts
1,124 battles
2 hours ago, Epicurus_ said:

If you have the Ryujo use 3/1/1 load out it seems most are using that in ranked and if they aren't then they are failing hard.

Oh yes I notice that when playing ranked. Not really much independence players out there in Ranked.