You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Mxx_iron

Ranked Battles

88 comments in this topic

[151ST]
2,459 posts
10,160 battles
15 hours ago, WongSongMing said:

.......no. 

Which part no? I know you're probably a much better player than me but I think he nailed it...

The best ranked games I've had as Fuso are where I've tanked for team and then allied BBs have been close enough to rotate out.

Nothing as infuriating as seeing a BB on your team who's been shooting at 18+km all game and hasn't got a scratch on her...

• Cool 1

330 posts
9,323 battles
15 hours ago, fuzzjunky said:

T6 seems to be a good choice.

probably hardest for the dd's.

there's not as much salt this season as i've ever seen before to be honest aswell.

It is hard being a dd when you have 2 Fubuki and a me in a Farragut with the other team having 2 Farraguts and a Shimmy ....its like me vs 3 DD's.   Why take a knife to a gun fight?

[TDA]
Super Tester_
427 posts
10,540 battles
On 7/11/2017 at 8:02 AM, Ordrazz said:

I would like to see next ranked season as t7 or 6, but with no premiums allowed, then we would be able to see who is skilled or not, no scharnhorsts or polish dds, no Saipan's or Belfast's, or Loyang's,  No anything except for the regular tech tree ships... Could people handle it??

Ordrazz

Thats like taking a recovering alcoholic on a pub crawl and asking him to be designated driver. People won't like that they can't use ships that they paid for. 

[OAKUM]
2,107 posts
16,015 battles
2 hours ago, Kamanah said:

Thats like taking a recovering alcoholic on a pub crawl and asking him to be designated driver. People won't like that they can't use ships that they paid for. 

But everyone whinges about how OP they are, so if you take them out of the picture, it would shut the whingers up & we could see if they were really skilled or not...

Perhaps we could have separate events...

Ordrazz

[REPOI]
372 posts
12,306 battles
6 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

Which part no? I know you're probably a much better player than me but I think he nailed it...

The best ranked games I've had as Fuso are where I've tanked for team and then allied BBs have been close enough to rotate out.

Nothing as infuriating as seeing a BB on your team who's been shooting at 18+km all game and hasn't got a scratch on her...

I disagree with basically the whole thing. Your job in a BB is not to tank, any sensible enemy would simply ignore you and shoot the softer cruiser or DD that your trying to tank for. In addition, by trying to tank your putting yourself in a vulnerable position where you can get focused. Of course you can heal some of the damage but here's the thing, so can the enemy battleships. The more you tank, the larger the hp advantage the enemy gets.

Pushing is always a disadvantage to the attacking side so you should be playing defensively for much of the game to conserve hp, only push when you have to or will gain a advantage from it.

288 posts
5,590 battles
16 minutes ago, WongSongMing said:

I disagree with basically the whole thing. Your job in a BB is not to tank, any sensible enemy would simply ignore you and shoot the softer cruiser or DD that your trying to tank for. In addition, by trying to tank your putting yourself in a vulnerable position where you can get focused. Of course you can heal some of the damage but here's the thing, so can the enemy battleships. The more you tank, the larger the hp advantage the enemy gets.

Pushing is always a disadvantage to the attacking side so you should be playing defensively for much of the game to conserve hp, only push when you have to or will gain a advantage from it.

Your post is full of incorrect assumptions, off the top of my head:

1. Tanking means taking excessive damage. Bouncing and dodging shells are a thing.

2. Tanking means pushing forward aggressively. It's quite possible, in fact essential, to tank while holding and retreating.

3. All the enemies are sensible/in a position to shoot at the cruisers and dds. Making yourself easy to shoot at but difficult to damage is a key battleship skill and baiting enemies into shooting at you instead of a more important target is a common occurance.

4. It is always the sensible thing to shoot at targets other than battleships. If there is a full health Cleveland angled at 18km and a low health Fuso at 10km broadside in our cap, I'm shooting the Fuso.

5. Finally, you say that tanking exposes yourself to unnecessary damage, but at the same time that it doesn't work to stop enemies shooting at squishier targets. Those are mutually exclusive, if enemies are shooting at me then I'm tanking damage that might have killed our dd, but if they are shooting at the DD anyway then I'm not taking damage. So which is it and which is worse: that I take 5k damage from my massive health pool that can regenerate, or that our dd gets deleted?

Edited by Webba84
  • Cool 5

[REPOI]
372 posts
12,306 battles
7 minutes ago, Webba84 said:

Your post is full of incorrect assumptions, off the top of my head:

1. Tanking means taking excessive damage. Bouncing and dodging shells are a thing.

2. Tanking means pushing forward aggressively. It's quite possible, in fact essential, to tank while holding and retreating.

3. All the enemies are sensible/in a position to shoot at the cruisers and dds. Making yourself easy to shoot at but difficult to damage is a key battleship skill.

4. It is always the sensible thing to shoot at targets other than battleships. If there is a full health Cleveland angled at 18km and a low health Fuso broadside in our cap, I'm shooting the Fuso.

5. Finally, you say that tanking exposes yourself to unnecessary damage, but at the same time that it doesn't work to stop enemies shooting at squishier targets. Those are mutually exclusive, if enemies are shooting at me then I'm tanking damage that might have killed our dd, but if they are shooting at the DD anyway then I'm not taking damage. So which is it and which is worse: that I take 5k damage from my massive health pool that can regenerate, or that our dd gets deleted?

1. Your not dodging or bouncing anything in battleship if your enemy is good. High explosive and overmatch are a thing.

2. That's not called tanking, that's called holding a position. There's a difference.

3. Your a battleship. You will take damage quickly no matter how well you angle.

4. And if there's a cleveland 14km away and a equal hp fuso 12km away trying to tank for the cleveland which will you shoot? Don't give ridiculous scenarios like the one above that are not even related.

5. When your cruiser/dd dies or gets away, your left in a vulnerable position because you tried to tank. Simple. Your not taking 5k, your taking 30.

Edited by WongSongMing

288 posts
5,590 battles

1. And they are a thing which also kill cruisers and dds. So why is it not better that I suffer a share of that damage and stay in the match then it take out less tough ships?

2. Tanking is the process of taking potential damage for your team instead of it hurting other ships. It has nothing to do with being closer to the enemy than anyone else. You can do it while holding a position, you can do it while retreating, you can do it while re-positioning and you can do it while advancing. I'm not 100% sure you understand what it is S4pp3R was talking about.

3. More quickly than anyone else on the team? Not sure why you are trying to argue that the toughest ships in the game take damage too quickly...

4. My point is that it is always situational. The situation I described is not at all ridiculous, but quite common, and there are many others like it. Sometimes it makes sense to shoot at the battleship, if you're seriously trying to suggest that it is never a good idea to do so then, again, see my previous point 5: you cannot simultaneously argue that tanking takes too much damage but at the same time is not effective because nobody will shoot at you. You're contradicting yourself again.

5. Again, you've confused tanking with pushing to the front and painting a massive target sign on your forehead. They aren't the same thing.

Edited by Webba84
  • Cool 3

[OAKUM]
2,107 posts
16,015 battles
2 hours ago, WongSongMing said:

From your arguments here, I have to assume you are one of those coward BB players, who do nothing but snipe from the other side of the map, & never push or help others, because based on your comments, you don't appear to be much of a team player, but one of the senseless lemmings that follow each other , & you also appear to not understand the role of a battleship.

re read my first post in this thread, as I lay out the roles in what we need to get done AS A TEAM, & what we should be doing if we are playing a battleship...

Ill say it again, our primary job as a battleship, is to

1. Cover the faster ships (DD & CA/CL) who are going to cap & position themselves to harass the enemy. They move faster than us, (& sometimes are a little too fast for the situation), so while we are lumbering to where we are going, we cover the smaller ships.

2. Our detection range is greater than the smaller ships, so we are seen a lot earlier, which is good for our smaller ships as we are a distraction to the enemy. Many players want to wipe us out as big kills, & therefore they start focussing on us & where we are going. This is WHAT WE WANT.

3.while the enemy has big eyes focussed on us & wishing feverently to end our campaign, our little DD or plucky cruiser SHOULD be taking advantage of our distraction , to sneak in with smoke & torps, then run out of detection range & reposition...

4. We as battleships, are the biggest asses in the game, we have the biggest armour, guns, size, & we are also the slowest, that's why we are so tempting... Its supposed to be that way, & if you are a good BB player, you can use all of this to help your team... By going in to the face of the enemy, hopefully making them forget our sneaky DD or cruiser, & hopefully getting a few enemy ships shooting at us, instead of them hunting our small ships. If they are any good, they will see what's happening & make use of our tanking, & reposition, or cap etc.

& while we are getting focussed on, we citadel the enemy, & they ignore us, we shoot more to attract attention, & get more citadels.

5. We can take the damage, we are supposed to, we have heal, we can heal some of it, & if we are good, we don't sail in straight lines, we angle, we anticipate where the enemy shells will land... No one has ever said that we are to accept the whole enemy fleet shooting at us, we could never survive it, but at the sane time, it is vital for us as BB to get in there & be damaged, that frees up the DD & cruisers to cap/torps/burn/AA etc as quick as they can, as that is their role.

Our role is not to keep our paint job pristine, or to blue line, or to sit back & snipe from the edge of the map like a coward, or lemming off with the rest of the fleet like an idiot, we have to be strategic, read the minimap all the time, & push, especially if we see the enemy team run, we have to push, & push hard... If we don't survive the game, so?? At least you do your best, & if you knock out as much as you can,that's more helpful to the team than surviving in mint condition at the end...

if your too frightened to get your paint scratched, then you shouldn't play a battleship.

Ordrazz

Edited by Ordrazz
  • Cool 3

330 posts
9,323 battles
2 hours ago, Ordrazz said:

From your arguments here, I have to assume you are one of those coward BB players, who do nothing but snipe from the other side of the map, & never push or help others, because based on your comments, you don't appear to be much of a team player, but one of the senseless lemmings that follow each other , & you also appear to not understand the role of a battleship.

re read my first post in this thread, as I lay out the roles in what we need to get done AS A TEAM, & what we should be doing if we are playing a battleship...

1. Cover the faster ships (DD & CA/CL) who are going to cap & position themselves to harass the enemy. They move faster than us, (& sometimes are a little too fast for the situation), so while we are lumbering to where we are going, we cover the smaller ships.

2. Our detection range is greater than the smaller ships, so we are seen a lot earlier, which is good for our smaller ships as we are a distraction to the enemy. Many players want to wipe us out as big kills, & therefore they start focussing on us & where we are going. This is WHAT WE WANT.

3.while the enemy has big eyes focussed on us & wishing feverently to end our campaign, our little DD or plucky cruiser SHOULD be taking advantage of our distraction , to sneak in with smoke & torps, then run out of detection range & reposition...

4. We as battleships, are the biggest asses in the game, we have the biggest armour, guns, size, & we are also the slowest, that's why we are so tempting... Its supposed to be that way, & if you are a good BB player, you can use all of this to help your team... By going in to the face of the enemy, hopefully making them forget our sneaky DD or cruiser, & hopefully getting a few enemy ships shooting at us, instead of them hunting our small ships. If they are any good, they will see what's happening & make use of our tanking, & reposition, or cap etc.

& while we are getting focussed on, we citadel the enemy, & they ignore us, we shoot more to attract attention, & get more citadels.

5. We can take the damage, we are supposed to, we have heal, we can heal some of it, & if we are good, we don't sail in straight lines, we angle, we anticipate where the enemy shells will land... No one has ever said that we are to accept the whole enemy fleet shooting at us, we could never survive it, but at the sane time, it is vital for us as BB to get in there & be damaged, that frees up the DD & cruisers to cap/torps/burn/AA etc as quick as they can, as that is their role.

Our role is not to keep our paint job pristine, or to blue line, or to sit back & snipe from the edge of the map like a coward, or lemming off with the rest of the fleet like an idiot, we have to be strategic, read the minimap all the time, & push, especially if we see the enemy team run, we have to push, & push hard... If we don't survive the game, so?? At least you do your best, & if you knock out as much as you can,that's more helpful to the team than surviving in mint condition at the end...

if your too frightened to get your paint scratched, then you shouldn't play a battleship.

Ordrazz

No believe it or not he is playing the way the game is made.  You see bb camping and he spamming will get him the results without taking any risks.  He plays for himself and while that may sound bad its how many high result players play and the game sad to say rewards players like that.   The decision to play for me vs the team is why random battles suck at team play.  Believe it or not but he is merely playing the way the game was made.

• Cool 1

[REPOI]
372 posts
12,306 battles
1 hour ago, Burnt_Out_Koalas said:

No believe it or not he is playing the way the game is made.  You see bb camping and he spamming will get him the results without taking any risks.  He plays for himself and while that may sound bad its how many high result players play and the game sad to say rewards players like that.   The decision to play for me vs the team is why random battles suck at team play.  Believe it or not but he is merely playing the way the game was made.

Yes of course, my 61% win rate is obviously because I'm playing for myself. That's why I got rank one twice and that's why I don't have to use stats from other servers to feel better about myself.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,402 posts
26,328 battles
5 hours ago, Ordrazz said:

Ordrazz

unfortunately, as unhelpful as that for the team as that is, this very likely will net you the highest XP on the losing team. so dispite this being a very selfish and distasteful way to play, it is very valid in ranked matches

[REPOI]
372 posts
12,306 battles
Just now, drakon233 said:

unfortunately, as unhelpful as that for the team as that is, this very likely will net you the highest XP on the losing team. so dispite this being a very selfish and distasteful way to play, it is very valid in ranked matches

What I said above is for premier league where tanking aka losing hp for no reason is going to cost you the game. None of the people who replied to me above made it to the premier league.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,402 posts
26,328 battles
Just now, WongSongMing said:

What I said above is for premier league where tanking aka losing hp for no reason is going to cost you the game. None of the people who replied to me above made it to the premier league.

*shurgs

rank is a totally different from random, different meta and different tactics, the "push and help" CA/DDs might have worked the last season, but not in this one.

[OAKUM]
2,107 posts
16,015 battles

Well then, I'm sorry I don't play "correctly" then.

I'm sorry I don't sit up the back like a coward, & just camp & shoot HE.

I'm sorry I haven't made it into any premier league.

I'm sorry I'm not using any stats, or caring about any stats.

I'm sorry for enjoying the game, when I should be " a better player"

I'm sorry for getting "involved" in each match, be it ranked or random, & trying to help my team mates.

I'm sorry for tanking damage for team mates & helping cover them.

I'm sorry my stats are not satisfactory to others, esp my win rate, & I'm also sorry my personal rate, my experience rate, & my damage rate is going way up.

I'm sorry for playing my ships in their intended role.

I'm sorry that I haven't been selfish, thinking only about myself.

I have the game all wrong.

NOT !!!!!!!

:fish_glass:

The only thing I'm really sorry for is....

well, nothing, really...

I am (or I attempt to be) a team player, I'm not one who climbs on top of others to succeed myself, no I don't have any medals saying I am in premier league, but do I care? At least I have good games & I feel happy with myself, that I do my best for my team, & have damn good games that I know I am contributing to, win or lose, & others know they can rely on me to help, & not sit at the corner of the map & snipe.

Ordrazz

[REPOI]
372 posts
12,306 battles
1 hour ago, Ordrazz said:

Well then, I'm sorry I don't play "correctly" then.

I'm sorry I don't sit up the back like a coward, & just camp & shoot HE.

I'm sorry I haven't made it into any premier league.

I'm sorry I'm not using any stats, or caring about any stats.

I'm sorry for enjoying the game, when I should be " a better player"

I'm sorry for getting "involved" in each match, be it ranked or random, & trying to help my team mates.

I'm sorry for tanking damage for team mates & helping cover them.

I'm sorry my stats are not satisfactory to others, esp my win rate, & I'm also sorry my personal rate, my experience rate, & my damage rate is going way up.

I'm sorry for playing my ships in their intended role.

I'm sorry that I haven't been selfish, thinking only about myself.

I have the game all wrong.

NOT !!!!!!!

:fish_glass:

The only thing I'm really sorry for is....

well, nothing, really...

I am (or I attempt to be) a team player, I'm not one who climbs on top of others to succeed myself, no I don't have any medals saying I am in premier league, but do I care? At least I have good games & I feel happy with myself, that I do my best for my team, & have damn good games that I know I am contributing to, win or lose, & others know they can rely on me to help, & not sit at the corner of the map & snipe.

Ordrazz

So when you put out wrong advice and someone argues about it your response is to treat it as a personal attack, post a big whine post and then insist that your "teamplay" is working when your a poor player.  Alright then.

[ANZNC]
84 posts
8,817 battles

Just made it to R9 playing Bayern. Its been a steady climb once I made R11 and before then R14.  I am NOT a good player but am concentrating on playing better. Playing one ship and the reduced map set helps, but maybe the match making is helping me more. I usually get "stronger" team mates?  and then play to hide my weaknesses.  I am a lousy shot EXCEPT when shooting at a half obscured target OVER an island that they are behind !!!  25% is good for me. Get Dreadnaught and Fireproof most often in ranked. Means they aren't shooting at a good player. Wins, I'm last about half the time, rarely 2nd and I think my only first was to make R10. Losses, middle to high but rarely 1st. When running away under fire I concentrate on dodging, rudder shift and last stand help there.  Again, being shot at is a BBs job and especially mine, so long as I don't get shredded and keeping 1, possibly 2, ships occupied is well worth my time as a below average player,  3, I die.  I WANT to unleash my secondaries but usually manage to stay leashed, just not too far away.

dark.png

A boring win is a good Ranked win. Get the lead and use that as a team to suck the life out of the battle until they crack.

Edited by Aeek

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,402 posts
26,328 battles

oh gods so this is the kind of teammates im getting at r9 now, good thing i quit the game and is happily enjoying Russian bias in that other tank sim now

[151ST]
2,459 posts
10,160 battles

I was hoping to get to rank 5 this season but to do that you guys are saying I need to start playing the campathon...

No thanks, I don't want to play like that as I think that's a horrible way to play.

So I'll potter away not being that sniping Fuso but the one trying to drive the team to push.

New goal - Rank 8, at least I get some cammos then.

So honest question, how do we get rid of the camp meta..?

• Cool 1

[REPOI]
372 posts
12,306 battles
2 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

I was hoping to get to rank 5 this season but to do that you guys are saying I need to start playing the campathon...

No thanks, I don't want to play like that as I think that's a horrible way to play.

So I'll potter away not being that sniping Fuso but the one trying to drive the team to push.

New goal - Rank 8, at least I get some cammos then.

So honest question, how do we get rid of the camp meta..?

You don't because pushing is an advantage to the defending side.

[OAKUM]
2,107 posts
16,015 battles

Well, you go ahead & enjoy your camping games, its not the way I wish to play, if I wanted to sit at the back & do nothing, I would get more fun in watching a dvd instead. I am a team player, not a selfish player, if my team mates need help, I will help.

why I play this game is because I love ships, & to have fun, & I am one of those "poor" players who don't care about stats, as they don't reflect my personality one bit.

Ordrazz

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
101 posts
2,938 battles

Was quite disappointed when season 7 started as I had purchased a Belfast for the next ranked season, only to discover we're using tier 6 this time.

However I sorted through my ships and found HMAS Perth.

Been having a great time with it, killing DD, burning BB (total arsonist, most fires at this time is 12 set) and providing smoke cover for my own BB.

When no DD in game then I become the scout. I have concealment rating of 77 (8.6km spotting range) and smoke.

Scout plane is excellent, increases my range to 15.4km so I start the fires early.

• Cool 1

[REPOI]
372 posts
12,306 battles
32 minutes ago, Ordrazz said:

Well, you go ahead & enjoy your camping games, its not the way I wish to play, if I wanted to sit at the back & do nothing, I would get more fun in watching a dvd instead. I am a team player, not a selfish player, if my team mates need help, I will help.

why I play this game is because I love ships, & to have fun, & I am one of those "poor" players who don't care about stats, as they don't reflect my personality one bit.

Ordrazz

Your not a team player. By not having the discipline to only push when the time is right your screwing your team.

330 posts
9,323 battles
15 hours ago, WongSongMing said:

The reason why i haven't made it to Premier as you say, is that i haven't played one game in a Battleship.  You see BB's are the ones who "CAN" take no risks and only go forward once the "risk" takers have got on top of the zones.  if they don't the BB simply HE spam and get top spot so they do not lose a star.   I do not believe that the BB's win the games without getting close to the action or at least tank some of the damage.  If they sit 10kms from the zone they are simply playing for themselves and expect others to take control.   my W/R is good in ranked .... but it has its ups and downs.... you have a W/R similar to mine .... so in fact you are doing exactly how the game is made.   I am not bagging you for doing it, i merely pointing out that BB's in rank have an advantage based on camp meta.

Edited by Burnt_Out_Koalas

[OAKUM]
2,107 posts
16,015 battles
1 hour ago, WongSongMing said:

Your not a team player. By not having the discipline to only push when the time is right your screwing your team.

Yeah right...

so in your eyes, being a team player means sitting up the back, watching everyone sink while you do next to nothing....

& according to you I'm not a team player, because I get in & help team mates in trouble, push when seems appropriate, tank, & citadel enemies... & according to you, I'm screwing my team by doing so...

I never push willy nilly, I read the minimap, & I try to work out what I would do if I was the enemy as well, by where they spawn, their terrain etc

I don't believe I'm the one floating with the stars here...

I will let the others make up their own minds about your tactics, if you want to sit up the back, that's fine by me... If they agree with you, then thats ok too..

Enjoy your games

Ordrazz

Edited by Ordrazz
  • Cool 1