You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Reizei_NimiLim

battle mechanics of scenario Defense of Naval Base

7 comments in this topic

1 post
660 battles

Hi Guys! Good Afternoon,

I'm writing just to share my thoughts about WOWs scenario mission: Defense of Naval Base, I don't know it's just me or other players have the same experience as me but this mission is kinda overpowered in terms of firepower and fleet's arrangements, at the begining of the mission it's still easy because we fight a low tier cruisers and DD's but when we proceed and managed to survive until last wave we face a really high tier BB's,DD's,CV, and CL's/CA's (heavy cruisers) even when the principal attack's begun i spotted izumo the japanese tier XI battleship and other tier Vi-VII ships where the majority are japanese and germany ships while japanese from my own experience have the firepower and german have their thick armors (especially gneisenau on that mission) and we have to sunk about 10+ ships from the begining until the principal attack and i think it's really unbalanced in terms of firepower and fleet arrangements. Recently i have this a game of this operation, at the 3rd wave we already lost half of our fleet (1 fleet contains 8 ships i think) and thus the principal attack begins and we down to only carrier which lastly on minute 18:20(approx) join us to the grave of ships, but we are'nt lost because the allied attack forces has arrived, from this i can take conclusion that we need to survive or defend for 17 or 18 minutes for the allied attack forces arrived or lost about half of our fleet strength or our fleet down to just 3 ships only to get two destoyers reinforcements which is helpfull to buy us time and delay the attack.

This part are dissapointing me, the experience distribution. why? at the end of the game we are victorious but with no ships left and i know i'm just aquired 1 star for this, i feel i have given all my efforts to fight back and survive with my Furrytaco (Furutaka i mean :D b) but i only got 600+ exp,it's really dissapointing.

I have no grudge to complain or anything but i'm just sharing my opinon and thoughts after playing this operation, i know there are lots of people that gain perfect stars for this operation and this content is just for sharing and discussing,that's why feel free to share your toughts and experience about this operation to me, i will kindly respect any of your opinions :)) and i want opinion annd some tips and tricks for this operation from all of WOWs players in the world :))x

sorry for bad english,gramar and vocabularies TwT~~

So.... good afternoon and Action Stations for all!! :))

cheers from indonesia! d(^w^d)

415 posts
10,918 battles

Most of being able to succeed in this scenario depends on being able to correctly lead ships that are sailing straight at you or slightly angled ... if your team cannot do this you will lose stars and probably the whole mission when enemy DD breach your perimeter and cause the attack to start earlier. (this also causes the enemy Hiryu to spawn which you have very little chance of killing as it never enters gun range and no T6 CV has a chance against it)

IF you somehow manage to kill all the ships in the allotted time and the friendly Lexington spawns ( this will also cause the final wave to include an Izumo)  it is just down to luck ... if it is on the same side the last wave of enemies came from where you have ships and you have a decent CV you can probably save it ... if no-one is the side it spawns on you have very little chance of saving it even with a decent CV player who is ready for it.

Also try to save your HP and don't count on repairing at the base because it's so slow all it really does is keep you out of the action while the rest of your team gets pounded.

NEVER use a T5 CV ... and DD's are very little use (I leave the que if I see DD's waiting ... they are just a liability) personally I wish they would limit it to only T6 as T5's are usually the first to die.

Just remember it doesn't matter how good YOU are or how well YOU play ... if your team are potatoes the 200k damage and 8 or 9 kills you get ain't gonna stop you getting a fail or 1 star victory

Basically with this one it's all luck ... luck if you get good teammates and luck if the Lex spawns the side you are ready.

Edited by Storm_Raiser

5 posts
1,926 battles

As of now, Newport is pretty much the hardest of the 4 scenarios thanks to the tier difference of enemies and the significant random factors involved in this scenario. Let's compare.

Aegis:

1. The composition of the vanguard squads and the convoy guard (You probably will have a bad time if the first vanguard has 2 zuchis and 2 poi botes)
  2. The starting position of the hosho and zuiho (Just a bit so doesn't matter much)

Killer Whale:

1. The Kolberg coming from north will either take outer route or inner route (Choosing inner route makes it enter 'haven' if it's alive long enough)

Raptor:

1. The second wave will come from either north or south

Newport:

1. The spawn point of the first 3 waves (Significantly affects your positioning)
  2. The spawn point of the allied Lex (If your team is too far away it's pretty much already dead)

In addition, Newport's difficulty snowballs significantly if you don't do well.

• If you fail to prevent enemies from coming close to base, the big wave starts immediately and the Izumo is replaced by Hiryu, which is arguably harder to deal with. Also, the allied CV won't come.
  • If you do well enough to trigger the Allied Lex coming, failing to protect it leaves you having to deal with the big wave without the help of that Lex. Strike loadout Lex is a pretty big helping hand.

I really want to say that Newport at its current state should be the Hard mode already. Or at least, making the spawn point of the Lex known to the players from the beginning should already be a huge help.

[LBAS]
4,472 posts
25,644 battles

DDs: any T6, but there are exception: Kamikaze, Gremyashchy

CL T6, not recommend CA

BB: T6 only

CV: T6 too

no rush, no banzai, stay in defense line (near coastal battery)

1,340 posts
8,848 battles

This is the hardest mission, mostly because you are in tier 5-6 ships and can face many tier 7-8s and even a tier 9 Izumo.

I think this DDs are quite useless in this mission. They don't have the dps to stem the tide of enemies.

IMO a good mix would be 3 high dps cruisers like the Cleveland, Buddy and the Nurn, 1-2 BBs to tank and devstrike cruisers, and a strike tier 6 CV.

The cruisers should stay in the base perimeter near the outer forts and let the enemy come to them. Do not get in front of the BBs otherwise you will be focused down by the bots. Prioitise setting BBs on fire followed by the DDs.

The BBs should be out infront and drawing fire away from the cruisers. CVs should go after the BBs first. Try to DoT stack. CVs and DoTs are the best way of killing the enemy BBs in a timely manner.

Just my 2 cents.

1,011 posts
7,459 battles
22 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

This is the hardest mission, mostly because you are in tier 5-6 ships and can face many tier 7-8s and even a tier 9 Izumo.

I think this DDs are quite useless in this mission. They don't have the dps to stem the tide of enemies.

IMO a good mix would be 3 high dps cruisers like the Cleveland, Buddy and the Nurn, 1-2 BBs to tank and devstrike cruisers, and a strike tier 6 CV.

The cruisers should stay in the base perimeter near the outer forts and let the enemy come to them. Do not get in front of the BBs otherwise you will be focused down by the bots. Prioitise setting BBs on fire followed by the DDs.

The BBs should be out infront and drawing fire away from the cruisers. CVs should go after the BBs first. Try to DoT stack. CVs and DoTs are the best way of killing the enemy BBs in a timely manner.

Just my 2 cents.

I think that pretty much nails it...

The only thing is that often you get teams with weak/unsuitable ships or players that charge and get killed quickly... that has a snowball effect.

415 posts
10,918 battles
1 hour ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

The only thing is that often you get teams with weak/unsuitable ships or players that charge and get killed quickly... that has a snowball effect.

I just had a 201 Bogue on my team :fish_palm: