Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LonerPrime

Premium Ships: Requesting some insight on these golden boats.

15 comments in this topic

294 posts
2,997 battles

Hello fellow commanders,

So I have come to the point in my play through where I have almost unlocked the Amagi and pretty close to Chapayev too. Till now, playing tier 7(and below) boats had always earned me a pretty penny even with prem consumables mounted, but that was largely because I had a large stock of them collected by completing events. Unfortunately, that stock is depleting. And even though I have the Ishizuchi picking the slack, I'm still a bit troubled of what the future might hold once I transition into the tier 8 and above category especially with two ship lines. Unfortunately, I also do not use any premium account either, largely because I've a very unreliable ISP that lag spikes continuously even on a good day.

Long story short, I'm looking to invest into a decent premium earner and if possible, I want to stay around the tier 6/7 category. Though if a tier 8 is heavily recommended, then could someone shed some light on when the next premium discount event might happen?

In my WOT days I could just fire up my PTS client and test drive any premiums for myself. But sadly this isn't possible with WOWs PTS client as they offer random premiums which really doesn't serve me any purpose. Hence, if it isn't too much to ask, please leave me recommendations for a decent mid tier premium with capable/reliable credit earning capabilities. Appreciate your time imparted on this thread in advance.

Kind Regards,

LonerPrime

PS: I have read and watched reviews about premium ships from famous reviewers like LittleWhiteMouse, iCHase and Flamu  and even though I appreciate their detailed coverage of ship specs, what I really need right now is the perspective of players that play these ships on the Asia cluster. A lot of ships that do good on the other side of the Earth, lags quite a bit on this side. Prime example being Yamato doing fine in NA but doing not so hot in the Asian server due to the difference in meta. So even though I'm not completely blind on the capabilities of these ships, I'm however completely oblivious on which ships performs better here.

Edited by LonerPrime

1,480 posts

Depends what nations you have.

if you have US then Arizona is very good, that's t6, or Indianapolis at t7 (tricky for me though, as turret reload is too long, no torps & I die in mine easy)

Texas is very good at t5 too

German scharnhorst at t7, you sort of test drive it by using sister ship gneisenau, the main difference is that gneis has 15" guns ,that has dispersion issues & scharn has got 11" guns same as Graf spee. Spee is OK too at t6 but tricky to learn.

Tirpitz is great at t8 but you do tend to meet a lot of t10

Russian has Molotov at t6 that's a good ship, torps have short range though, or Kutuzov at t8, can be tricky & again meet t10s. Nikolai is great, but its not sold anymore.

there's another Russian BB coming out soon, that should be good...

Japanese Mutsu is pretty good, as long as you get used to its dispersion & always angle. I don't have many Japanese ships except premiums... I don't know what Atago is like.

as for dds I don't know because I only have 3 & rarely play them, & I have Saipan but I rarely play it..

IMO the best BB you can have is the free ship Konig, you can have immense fun, hunting dds, great secondaries, can meet t7 ships, if you spec it right shoot planes down, twin rudders, turtleback armour, good speed, good dispersion..

This is my report, based on ships I have, & my experiences.

have fun,

Ordrazz

Edited by Ordrazz

283 posts
3,561 battles

From what I have gathered, you are in the market for a premium ship for economic purposes. Credits income and commander transfer are specific features of premium ships as you already know so we need to pick a ship that is not from any of your high tier nations (if you have say a hiryu, nagato, myoko, akatsuki and shiratsuyu) so that you get the most use out of it when transferring commanders, but it also needs to be a high income rate (special camo that has these benefits) but needs to be tier 6-7 (8?). Sales as you mentioned, are not "routine" they happen randomly depending on which ship is not meeting WG's selling standards so we cannot tell which ship will get a sale next so you might have to choose 3-4 ships and get the 1st one that gets a discount.

Ships that I would recommend based on what I have seen on the server in the past week or so (performance wise)

IJN: Ischizuchi is doing pretty well but you already have that one, so maybe a higher tier one - mutsu is doing good in ranked, like ordrazz said ^

USN: Sims is doing well but that depends on your game play so another one could be the Arizona only bad thing is its speed (21 knots)
KM: Tirpitz, scharnhorst and graf spee but Tirpitz is a tier 8 so i don't know your budget and I have not got the Tirpitz but it always comes highly recommended by others, scharnhorst is like the gneisenau except with better guns (IMO) 

RF: Leningrad, Molotov, Kutuzov are recommended ships, I tested the Molotov on PTS and it was difficult to learn but it was very powerful once you knew how to use it, Kutuzov is tier 8 but I think it is slightly overpowered due to smoke and all those other kind of stuffs, always available for 10250 doubloons ($55 AUD)
RN: Warspite and Belfast and good, Belfast overpowered certainly. Warspite has the best heal and has good secondaries and large guns 15 inch(?) and was available on the PTS as well. Belfast is tier 7 and like the saipan, is extremely op as it is a cruiser with heal, smoke, radar and HE. Belfast is the bees knees this year everyone want this ship and i cant express how op this ship is.

MN: De grasse is a great ship this ranked season with 9x152 shells flying in theenemies direction every 8 seconds. 6 torpedoes delivering 15k damage in each one and its speed is really good at 34 knots, a great choice for competitive play and is tier 6 so not over the top.

As for credit earn, I have no idea apart from the Missouri where you will apparently "never be stopped by credits", however the catch is big, 750k FREE exp, in other words either a lot of grinding about 2 years worth without boosters or 30k doubloons/ $160 AUD

PLEASE TAKE NOTE: I have not bought any premiums carefully consider what I have said and please don't buy a ship on my word, use backing from others!

Hope this helps you out

Regards ellofiend

[MEGA]
4,561 posts
17,548 battles

for the love of god DO NOT take mutsu into rank, that thing sucks. you get no dispersion, no penetration and no armor, absolutely useless

ahm. anyways.

if you are going after a prem ship for pure economy reasons then i suggest you get the following

atago, sims, tirpitz , enterprise(from what i've heard, not 100% sure on this one), anshan, atlanta or prinz eugen. they might not be the best/esiest ships of the tier, but they print more credits then the others (espially sims)

if you want to have a ton of fun with a very OP ship and still print credits then i suggest the following

belfat(duh), MK, loyang, saipan, kaga, perth

and if you want a ship to just have fun with and never have to worry about credits then

arizona, warspite, blys, lenningrad, molotov, texas(look at all muh guns, said every Texan ever)

the other ones are not worth getting for various defects

er, special mention to the T8 prems, they can farm a LOT of credits, espically in T10 where every shell you hit on a T10 is like striking gold, but they the T10s can still easily blow you out of the water if you dont know what you are doing, so for now i suggest you get these ships as you first chosie

MK/belfast(smk spam no skillz needed), or warspite/arizona(it's really hard to screw up in these 2)

1,332 posts
8,817 battles

If you can, try to get the Trump Wagon aka the Missouri. She will solve most of your credit problems. But more importantly is to get a ship you will like to play.

Otherwise just get the MK, the Buyfast or the Paytago. Can't go wrong with those.

If you want recommendations, sorry I can't help you much here. The only tier 6-8 Premium ships I have got are the HSF ships, the Tirpitz and the Atlanta. 

The Tirpitz is loads of fun, though I have yet to see how she performs against the Big E with its AP bombs.

The rest are Your Mileage May Vary though. Personally I have had a lot of fun with those ships but it may not fit for everyone.

The Harekaze is great if you like IJN DD gameplay. Atlanta is fun if you get a CV game or a map with lots of islands to abuse. Spee is good if you play to her strengths - she is a cruiser hunter.

But like I said YMMV. I highly suggest you try those ships in the pts or something first.

[MEGA]
4,561 posts
17,548 battles
6 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

If you can, try to get the Trump Wagon aka the Missouri. She will solve most of your credit problems. But more importantly is to get a ship you will like to play.

Otherwise just get the MK, the Buyfast or the Paytago. Can't go wrong with those.

If you want recommendations, sorry I can't help you much here. The only tier 6-8 Premium ships I have got are the HSF ships, the Tirpitz and the Atlanta. 

The Tirpitz is loads of fun, though I have yet to see how she performs against the Big E with its AP bombs.

The rest are Your Mileage May Vary though. Personally I have had a lot of fun with those ships but it may not fit for everyone.

The Harekaze is great if you like IJN DD gameplay. Atlanta is fun if you get a CV game or a map with lots of islands to abuse. Spee is good if you play to her strengths - she is a cruiser hunter.

But like I said YMMV. I highly suggest you try those ships in the pts or something first.

yeah... OP's top tier is a amagi and chappy, i doubt he has the free XP to unlock it and even if he does (no offence) telling him to play a T9 BB with that little expirence is like tossing a fishsheep into a fishingboat wolf pack with starved fishermenwolfs that havnt fishedeaten for days

[TOGN]
Beta Tester
115 posts
13,303 battles

have you got any 10 point captains by playing  pve battles to help which ship to purchase  

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

I own a lot of premiums so far. Here is what I think:

For credits, you need Missouri.

From tier 8 premiums, Atago and Prinz Eugen have massive bonus to credit income. Tirpitz is incredible for earning free exp with the second permanent camo. The other T8 premiums are pretty fun to play but not as optimal in terms of credit or xp grind as these three.

From tier 7, Sims has broken XP gain, basically a nerfed T7 benson C hull look alike. Atlanta also has a good modifier but really hard to play. Scharnhorst is fun to play and Belfast / Saipan is outright OP.

Why bother about T6 premiums, they are not that good in terms of return value. Only Anshan has good captain xp modifier, but that thing has no tech tree at all.

However, to be able to utilize full potential, most premium ships require a 14 point captain.

Edited by icy_phoenix

294 posts
2,997 battles

Well, as far captains go, here is the breakdown of my officers.

14 point captain: IJN Nagato

12 point captain: RU Schors

11 point captain: IJN Hiryuu

Apart from those, four 10 point captains that I earned in the PVE scenarios that are currently serving on USN Farragut, IJN Aoba, RU Budyonny and KM Bismarck.

Various miscellaneous captains like the Isoroku cat and bunch of other 6 point captains that came with events are currently in reserve or serving as placeholder captains on Isokaze, Fuso and the Smith. I'm not really focusing on these as these are more of a "play-when-bored" kind of ships.

----

Honestly I really wanted to get a ship that could make credits and help train captains but WG really has a knack for haphazard release patters when it comes to premium ships. So many IJN naval ships were deployed in World War II and yet all we have are just 2 premium BBs in this game, one of which I own and even though it is a fun ship, it really suffers heavily when it comes to credit earning. Mutsu is okay but I saw her sigma values being near Fuso and to be honest the slow shell speed really throws my aim off at the long range. I really suffered heavily on Kongo and Fuso because of this but did comparatively better in the Nagato .

Honestly, I really enjoy RU CL gameplay and I really had my heart set on Kutuzov as I am even pursuing the same CL line. But given her tier, my inexperience with high tier battles and unsurity regarding her credit earning capacity compared to ships like Atago/Eugen, I'm really having a hard time choosing her. Hence my request for a recommendation in the tier 6/7 category. But if tier 8 is where the best credits are... I might as well just wait and gather more experience with high tier gameplay before I jump into the premium fray.

Still, thanks for you invaluable opinion folks. Much appreciate it. If you have anymore thoughts, please do post.

Edited by LonerPrime

Beta Tester
604 posts
6,756 battles

As you said, a Kutuzov is probably ideal for you, but not for a while yet, you definitely would struggle a bit until you get some more experience.  I would say for credit earning you want a tier 7 ship, since they have excellent match making (top tier often) and still make pretty good credits.  Given you don't play DD's and what you are used to right now, I would say that Scharnhorst would be your best bet, it's pretty new player friendly, is at the best MM tier, and is an all around good ship.  Once you get more experience in high tier cruisers consider a Kutuzov.

Also, don't be in a hurry to get to tier 9 and 10 - the game becomes a lot more difficult at those tiers, the meta changes to one not quite as fun, and generally newer players aren't going to enjoy themselves that much their.  Stick to the tier 5-7 range and you'll probably enjoy the game a lot more.

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

Since many people in the forum say there are no p2ws in the game, I just want to post a simple screenshot showing how broken some ships are.

Here is a Sims game that I died first after getting disconnected in cap. I do not use premium account, And this wasn't even the first win of that day. Also show this to anyone who even tries to compare xp gain of any ship to Sims.

9q2Jcm3.jpg

0 Ribbons, 0 shells fired, still 1K+ xp. Yes, not p2w. I don't want to post my 4k+ FXP gain Sims game screenshot.

So yah, buy Sims at the very first chance you get if you are interested in US DD and training / retraining super fast 19 pt commander. Eventually you need a Missouri to farm credits, Sims / Tirpitz (2nd permanent camo required) is the way to get her.

Edited by icy_phoenix

294 posts
2,997 battles
42 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Tirpitz (2nd permanent camo required) is the way to get her.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't that second camo from the Santa event ? Or is it possible to acquire it by other means?

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles
1 hour ago, LonerPrime said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't that second camo from the Santa event ? Or is it possible to acquire it by other means?

Not possible. You didn't play during Santa Convoy?

Beta Tester
604 posts
6,756 battles
13 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Since many people in the forum say there are no p2ws in the game, I just want to post a simple screenshot showing how broken some ships are.

Here is a Sims game that I died first after getting disconnected in cap. I do not use premium account, And this wasn't even the first win of that day. Also show this to anyone who even tries to compare xp gain of any ship to Sims.

The Sims xp gain is a bit crazy - I've posted this before but here's a good game I had in the Sims a while ago...

SSIC3T7.jpg

ErzOD7y.jpg

Sign in to follow this