Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Somedude_Yudachi

Were Wg lacked of money so they released Kutuzov?

12 comments in this topic

294 posts
2,997 battles

Ohhhh you're about to get a very angry visitor to your post OP from a certain someone who calls Kutuzov his waifu. Best be very prepared cause he does not pull punches when it comes to his waifu :P

1,386 posts
8,237 battles

There was a long history behind Kutuzov, right after OBT ended. I didn't start heavy grind until early 2016 but I can tell a bit about the history of Mikhail Kutuzov, one of the classic premium ships of the game.

#1 Before skill change

The ship was originally released to compete with Mogami, very OP at the time, this can be seen in her unique 26mm "standard hull thickness" which can stop 155mm HE (Alpha Piercing HE=26) from penetrating. But she didn't live up to the expectations due to a variety of reasons, while being protected against 155mm Mogami HE, she couldn't do much damage to Mogami and wasn't good at doing damage herself. Her main task was to provide AA screen, she could do the task extremely well, being one of the best AA regardless of tier, but that's probably her only advantage. (Yeah she had smoke that time due to bad survivability complaints by people testing*, but what's the point of smoke when your capability of doing damage was limited?*2)

* IIRC in one PT people were actually presented with a WiP Kutuzov to play with and do feedback

*2 somewhat comparable to the Emerald

#2 After B/AFT/EM skill nerf

As I mentioned earlier, 155mm Mogami was extremely OP at the time. At that time, the B/AFT/EM skills affect up to 155mm guns so Mogami could reach over 18km range, invisi-fire at less than 14km and good turret transverse. Also Mogami had really good HE Alpha and the unique 26mm piercing could (and still can) wreck T6-7 BB deck. Wargaming dislike this so the decision was made to nerf these skills from 155mm to 139mm. This also affected Kutuzov. But wargaming promised no nerf to premium ships and they said "hey this ship is intended to be played with those skills" and Kutuzov's anti-surface performance parameters were buffed to how that was when all three skills were used. While for Mogami, wargaming decided to promote the 203mm guns, those guns received numerous buffs in later patches to make them more appealing. At this patch AA underwent rework and Kutuzov was no longer the best choice for AA screen. This now freed some points for her captain and the new choice for lvl 4 is demolition expert. This allowed better anti-surface capabilities but due to the extremely sluggish acceleration, Kutuzov gets torped inside her smoke a lot.

#3 small changes

The acceleration module was buffed in a later patch to make it more appealing compared to the rudder module. This allowed Kutuzov to accelerate faster. A smoke ring and timer was added to allow better control over smoking.

The changes above allowed an AA cruiser with underpowered anti surface capability to transform into a rather balanced ship focused mainly on burning battleships.

#4 0.6.0 skill rework 2

IFHE was added, allowing her to unleash the second best DPM at T8. The best is Mogami 155, but due to Mogami's survivability issue and turret transverse*3 Kutuzov performed better. Chapayev was IMO as good as Kutuzov but invisi-fire was removed in a later patch killing Chapayev.

*3 buffed in a later patch

Her story ends here. A ship transformed from undergunned AA CL to a very good anti-surface 6" machine gun. All happened due to captain skill changes.

BTW IMO the original reason for the release was national pride, devs decide to add their museum ship to demonstrate that they can build good ships. But a 1950s ship at T8 with all those pre-war treaty boats… Probably demonstrated how bad Soviet ship building was at that time.

Edited by _Halcyon

Super Tester
7,558 posts
8,001 battles

Like @_Halcyon mentioned, most of Kutuzov's performance come from the captain skills. The current skill sets pushed her beyond that line. Once, Atago was considered OP, but since the current skill set was introduced, Atago has fallen short and Kutuzov shines bright now. But the ship herself didn't change at all.

Kutuzov was my first premium ship (when I was a Tier 3 player, so yah learnt the lesson the hard way). With AFT+BFT, she can be deadly AA ship, with DE+IFHE she burns everything to waterline. But you need SI for that max 3 smoke charge. Also, CE is sort of a must. As you can see the amount of captain skills required to make her work. It is not a complete p2w like Belfast because most of the damage you do are repairable damage. Much like a Zao, can farm a lot of damage, but still doesn't contribute much to victory.

Now back to OP, I don't know how you relate that to money. Kutuzov is always on sale on Asia, isn't she? She is not that cheap either. WG wants to earn money for sure, just like any other company, but do they lack money?? I'm not sure. Only one thing for you, can't beat them, join them. Buy Kutuzov, she is very fun ship.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles
4 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

but do they lack money?

nope, WG has a very large income and WOWS and WOT both ranked among the top earning games of last year, if there's any thing WG lacks it's balance, brains and common sense,certainly not money

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles
15 hours ago, _Halcyon said:

There was a long history behind Kutuzov, right after OBT ended. I didn't start heavy grind until early 2016 but I can tell a bit about the history of Mikhail Kutuzov, one of the classic premium ships of the game.

#1 Before skill change

The ship was originally released to compete with Mogami, very OP at the time, this can be seen in her unique 26mm "standard hull thickness" which can stop 155mm HE (Alpha Piercing HE=26) from penetrating. But she didn't live up to the expectations due to a variety of reasons, while being protected against 155mm Mogami HE, she couldn't do much damage to Mogami and wasn't good at doing damage herself. Her main task was to provide AA screen, she could do the task extremely well, being one of the best AA regardless of tier, but that's probably her only advantage. (Yeah she had smoke that time due to bad survivability complaints by people testing*, but what's the point of smoke when your capability of doing damage was limited?*2)

* IIRC in one PT people were actually presented with a WiP Kutuzov to play with and do feedback

*2 somewhat comparable to the Emerald

#2 After B/AFT/EM skill nerf

As I mentioned earlier, 155mm Mogami was extremely OP at the time. At that time, the B/AFT/EM skills affect up to 155mm guns so Mogami could reach over 18km range, invisi-fire at less than 14km and good turret transverse. Also Mogami had really good HE Alpha and the unique 26mm piercing could (and still can) wreck T6-7 BB deck. Wargaming dislike this so the decision was made to nerf these skills from 155mm to 139mm. This also affected Kutuzov. But wargaming promised no nerf to premium ships and they said "hey this ship is intended to be played with those skills" and Kutuzov's anti-surface performance parameters were buffed to how that was when all three skills were used. While for Mogami, wargaming decided to promote the 203mm guns, those guns received numerous buffs in later patches to make them more appealing. At this patch AA underwent rework and Kutuzov was no longer the best choice for AA screen. This now freed some points for her captain and the new choice for lvl 4 is demolition expert. This allowed better anti-surface capabilities but due to the extremely sluggish acceleration, Kutuzov gets torped inside her smoke a lot.

#3 small changes

The acceleration module was buffed in a later patch to make it more appealing compared to the rudder module. This allowed Kutuzov to accelerate faster. A smoke ring and timer was added to allow better control over smoking.

The changes above allowed an AA cruiser with underpowered anti surface capability to transform into a rather balanced ship focused mainly on burning battleships.

#4 0.6.0 skill rework 2

IFHE was added, allowing her to unleash the second best DPM at T8. The best is Mogami 155, but due to Mogami's survivability issue and turret transverse*3 Kutuzov performed better. Chapayev was IMO as good as Kutuzov but invisi-fire was removed in a later patch killing Chapayev.

*3 buffed in a later patch

Her story ends here. A ship transformed from undergunned AA CL to a very good anti-surface 6" machine gun. All happened due to captain skill changes.

BTW IMO the original reason for the release was national pride, devs decide to add their museum ship to demonstrate that they can build good ships. But a 1950s ship at T8 with all those pre-war treaty boats… Probably demonstrated how bad Soviet ship building was at that time.

And that History is what makes me, a Mogami player hate Kutuzov to the bone, whenever i see Kutuzov on the other side, i prioritize taking her down first.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

I think they won't be short of money anytime soon.

BTW, Enterprise is out in Asia. Boy oh boy would it be hell to drive KM BB these few days.

1,386 posts
8,237 battles
1 hour ago, Shiroyasha_Gintoki said:

And that History is what makes me, a Mogami player hate Kutuzov to the bone, whenever i see Kutuzov on the other side, i prioritize taking her down first.

IMO Mogami isn't bad now… The transverse flaw is fixed, and despite losing invisi-fire, now you can use hull B/C for good maneuverability, and with IFHE Mogami can own very impressive DPM comparable to even some T10, also Mogami has decent concealment, almost 2km better than Kutuzov. Still I dislike how WG promoted 203mm so hard before, isn't taking a break in a line using 203mm/50 3rd mod2 form T5 all the way to T9 a good thing? Fun with 155mm can relax players from frustration with using the same gun in a long long grind.

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles
4 minutes ago, _Halcyon said:

IMO Mogami isn't bad now… The transverse flaw is fixed, and despite losing invisi-fire, now you can use hull B/C for good maneuverability, and with IFHE Mogami can own very impressive DPM comparable to even some T10, also Mogami has decent concealment, almost 2km better than Kutuzov. Still I dislike how WG promoted 203mm so hard before, isn't taking a break in a line using 203mm/50 3rd mod2 form T5 all the way to T9 a good thing? Fun with 155mm can relax players from frustration with using the same gun in a long long grind.

She's better now but that doesn't bring back my almost 1 year of suffering in Mogami...

Sign in to follow this