You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Burnt_Out_Koalas

Rank battles observations

115 comments in this topic

307 posts
6,413 battles

Hi All,

Well i played ranked yesterday and i found it well ****Meh**** :Smile_sceptic:  First of all it has limited ship options on what you "Should" take out and what you don't which really makes it boring in terms of tactics you can do.

Anyone can reach Ranked 15, assuming that you can make some impact per game i have seen people with a 37% winrate make LVL15 so as long as you follow the SHEEP and not be a utter Potato or YOLO you will make LVL15 using pretty much any ship.

What did i take out and how did it feel?

Farragut: 63% W/R

Clearly one of the better DD's, however i struggled to do much other than take lots of hits in some games as i never stayed in my smoke and i used it to protect the fleet.   I hated not being able to torp anything other than a Warspite that thought he was smart by sneaking into a cap zone behind and island.   I baited many DD's into firing and they all died from my fleet behind me.  I found the biggest challenge when 2 Shinonome's on the other team and i had a Fubuki on my side and generally Shins or Farragut's are the only ships i had issues with.

Fubuki: 0% W/R

Horrible ship to use in this game, i did managed to sink a New Mexico after i put him on fire and then torped him to flood out.  I dropped smoke like the US DD and tried to scout and every time i got spotted by the other DD it just rained shells and it is not fast or agile enough to avoid.    I did the same in my Farragut when i had a Fubuki in the other team, he tried to go to cap A then B and i basically followed him and all he did was get smacked everytime he got spotted.  Waste of time using this ship.

Aoba: 0% W/R

Completely unable to make any impact into the game.... shells are useless and angling does little to stop the rain of shells.  I felt its mobility or lack of it to be its biggest downfall, the torps is so risky as you expose the weak ship Armour, its slow and does not tank well.  

Cleveland: 100% W/R

Awesome but boring at the same time.  its tanky, moveable and packs a punch but slow reloads... you can autobounce nicely and with Vigilance it is easy to use this ship.   I just really found that get into a nice spot and fire all game long was boring for me.

Going beyond that then its really down to 4/5 types of ships and this is where I think this type of game mode fails the most:

BB's: Fuso Fuso or FUSO ---Arizona maybe?  (Better Sigma than NM)

CA: Cleveland  (Please no Ad Graf Spee or HSF GS)

CL: nothing

DD: Shinonome ----Farragut maybe (Only for its smoke really)

Maps well i got bored after 8 games, I also found it boring that every game the whole team moved to one zone.... Sure you sometimes pick the same zone and then its a shootout with the game decided in less than 4 minutes and really if you lose your DD your team has lost.

CV's have little or no impact on, that said, i did have a Ryujo not fully spec and he lost all his planes at the halfway mark of the game that did cost us the win, he apologized to the whole team and said he would not take it out again and i told him it was "All Good" that said i have seen only 3 games with a CV and only once I believed that the CV made an impact in the game.

I would say that this rank mode is IMHO boring, the tactics are always the same, the ships are sooo limited and i highly doubt that after ranked that anyone will use these ships for sometime.

I welcome your thoughts on this season Ranked battles.

Meh...:cap_old:

372 posts
10,107 battles
1 hour ago, Burnt_Out_Koalas said:

Hi All,

Well i played ranked yesterday and i found it well ****Meh**** :Smile_sceptic:  First of all it has limited ship options on what you "Should" take out and what you don't which really makes it boring in terms of tactics you can do.

Anyone can reach Ranked 15, assuming that you can make some impact per game i have seen people with a 37% winrate make LVL15 so as long as you follow the SHEEP and not be a utter Potato or YOLO you will make LVL15 using pretty much any ship.

What did i take out and how did it feel?

Farragut: 63% W/R

Clearly one of the better DD's, however i struggled to do much other than take lots of hits in some games as i never stayed in my smoke and i used it to protect the fleet.   I hated not being able to torp anything other than a Warspite that thought he was smart by sneaking into a cap zone behind and island.   I baited many DD's into firing and they all died from my fleet behind me.  I found the biggest challenge when 2 Shinonome's on the other team and i had a Fubuki on my side and generally Shins or Farragut's are the only ships i had issues with.

Fubuki: 0% W/R

Horrible ship to use in this game, i did managed to sink a New Mexico after i put him on fire and then torped him to flood out.  I dropped smoke like the US DD and tried to scout and every time i got spotted by the other DD it just rained shells and it is not fast or agile enough to avoid.    I did the same in my Farragut when i had a Fubuki in the other team, he tried to go to cap A then B and i basically followed him and all he did was get smacked everytime he got spotted.  Waste of time using this ship.

Aoba: 0% W/R

Completely unable to make any impact into the game.... shells are useless and angling does little to stop the rain of shells.  I felt its mobility or lack of it to be its biggest downfall, the torps is so risky as you expose the weak ship Armour, its slow and does not tank well.  

Cleveland: 100% W/R

Awesome but boring at the same time.  its tanky, moveable and packs a punch but slow reloads... you can autobounce nicely and with Vigilance it is easy to use this ship.   I just really found that get into a nice spot and fire all game long was boring for me.

Going beyond that then its really down to 4/5 types of ships and this is where I think this type of game mode fails the most:

BB's: Fuso Fuso or FUSO ---Arizona maybe?  (Better Sigma than NM)

CA: Cleveland  (Please no Ad Graf Spee or HSF GS)

CL: nothing

DD: Shinonome ----Farragut maybe (Only for its smoke really)

Maps well i got bored after 8 games, I also found it boring that every game the whole team moved to one zone.... Sure you sometimes pick the same zone and then its a shootout with the game decided in less than 4 minutes and really if you lose your DD your team has lost.

CV's have little or no impact on, that said, i did have a Ryujo not fully spec and he lost all his planes at the halfway mark of the game that did cost us the win, he apologized to the whole team and said he would not take it out again and i told him it was "All Good" that said i have seen only 3 games with a CV and only once I believed that the CV made an impact in the game.

I would say that this rank mode is IMHO boring, the tactics are always the same, the ships are sooo limited and i highly doubt that after ranked that anyone will use these ships for sometime.

I welcome your thoughts on this season Ranked battles.

Meh...:cap_old:

Reaches rank 15 and thinks he's qualified to talk about ranked... lmfao

112 posts
1,553 battles

Some intersting observations. I've found being  DD quite frustrating as I will but myself in danger to spot and cover my team and it rarely pays off :/ But if I don't do it, our team will lose.

A ton of fusos up and about for sure (spamming HE for some reason) imo.

It sucks being a DD, you'll cap both points, get a few points in. smoke your team, distract their ships and pot them the whole match yet when It;s only you left you don't get 1st place and lose starts. FUDGE those bbs who hang back and don't go with the team :/

Ive also found having a good DD killer on your team (leander/perth) is extremly useful, kill their DD and your teams DD has free reign to spot and torp all day long.

Edited by Dire_Venom

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,777 battles

Massive BB meta so far this season - in the few I did last night (10-15 bracket) every battle was 0/4/2/1 (CV/BB/CA/DD) except for one 1/3/2/1.  As I recall the max BB's you can have in a ranked battle is four so they are consistently hitting the BB cap.

Cruisers get consistently eaten rapidly (although they will be more survivable in the higher ranks as survival is very much skill dependent).

DD's have relatively little impact compared to previous seasons - their damage was lower than in the past, they mainly smoked and spotted.  They died fast most games.

We will see how it develops in the higher brackets.

307 posts
6,413 battles
2 hours ago, WongSongMing said:

Reaches rank 15 and thinks he's qualified to talk about ranked... lmfao

Well i am interested in opinions and i made mine.  Instead of insulting me...express what you think the rank games feel like to you.  Hotshot.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,840 posts
4,138 battles

You get a +1 from me Koala.  (If I could give -1 in this thread I would hand that out too).   At least you tried to give the forum some input.  

Beta Tester
257 posts
4,264 battles

Ran straight up to rank 13 yesterday. All in Cleve. 70%ish WR. Today, I've been knocked all the way back to rank 15 after 14 battles trying to get to 12. Completely useless teams, often fighting with each other in chat. Also several AFKs and people that spam "negative" when the team decides a cap and run the other way to die.

Trend noticed? If a Dumbkerque is on my team, 99% guaranteed loss.

Brain hurts. Going to enjoy the rest of the day doing something else.

Edit> And a +1 from as well for the Koala. 

Edited by xamdam

[KGHSF]
3,217 posts
6,055 battles

Which time is good for get win easily? I have no idea

Weekend I suggest don't play because you will lost more than win 

example 1 win and lose 3 times per hour

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

This season is better than the last for me (Bellfast smoke give me [Content Removed]) it less static at least

im still at rank 10, so Im not sure how the meta developed at higher rank

but it seems more dynamic

BB were supperior pick, since there less fire spammer and DD

my personal pick would be DeGrasse, playing her as flanker is intense and enjoyable

Inapproriate Use of Word , Post Edited , User Sanctioned 
~Ephys

112 posts
1,553 battles
1 hour ago, xamdam said:

Ran straight up to rank 13 yesterday. All in Cleve. 70%ish WR. Today, I've been knocked all the way back to rank 15 after 14 battles trying to get to 12. Completely useless teams, often fighting with each other in chat. Also several AFKs and people that spam "negative" when the team decides a cap and run the other way to die.

Trend noticed? If a Dumbkerque is on my team, 99% guaranteed loss.

Brain hurts. Going to enjoy the rest of the day doing something else.

Edit> And a +1 from as well for the Koala. 

Similar trend here :P Ive found the further in I go, the worse some of my team gets XD

There have still been some very good team members out there though, kudos to you guys ^_^!

The Dunkerque is an interesting beast, if you don't play her well then your just a liability, if you do know how to play her you can compete with the other BB's at her tier. Most players Ive met in her just sit bow on and think that's it -_- it may work vs randoms, but not in ranked. I had a 75% win rate her in the first few ranks, but there are simply too many BB's for playing her to be very effective. She's a cruiser/DD killer not a long range dps machine.

My most enjoyable experiences so far have been in my Perth. Kill the enemy DD's take the caps and then annoy the BB's and gut the cruisers :3 It plays like a DD but with 3x the HP, amazing guns plus a gimmicky smoke.

Edited by Dire_Venom

283 posts
3,587 battles
On 7/2/2017 at 1:55 PM, humusz said:

This season is better than the last for me (Bellfast smoke give me [Content Removed]) it less static at least

im still at rank 10, so Im not sure how the meta developed at higher rank

but it seems more dynamic

BB were supperior pick, since there less fire spammer and DD

my personal pick would be DeGrasse, playing her as flanker is intense and enjoyable

Don't smoke your a joke, sorry Brit cruisers but your the biggest part of this joke and soon people will be giving them up as the new anti-smoke movement has been started and you can see evidence of this in the rn cruisers biggest enemy thread nearby, if you see the gist of the thread you can see the meta I'm hinting at (Justice for last seasons camp meta:cap_haloween: )

Quote Updated
~Ephys

Edited by Ephys

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,276 battles

Treat the ranked battles like your typical random battle. You don't rely on your teammate, unless they have proven themselves. (At least at the lower ranks)

Anshan has given me pretty good results, imo. As long as you don't force yourself to protect teammates that don't deserve it. If a BB that doesn't understand angling decides to ask for smoke, screw him, someone else or even you can use your smoke for better results. Don't force yourself to delay or contest caps if your teammates don't intend on killing their DD. Try doing some runs to spot their DD and start running immediately. If your teammates focus fire on him, it is then safe to go cap.

Graf Spee is an under rated boat imo. You have enough armor and maneuverability to tank and dodge a little. Your 283mm guns can deal serious damage to broadside targets. And the torps are great for area denial, forcing broadsides and even torpedo runs. You can also run hydro, that allows you to go deal with DDs in smoke, or even Leanders and Perths. Most importantly, your 283mm guns are accurate. You can hit where you aim reliably, which you can't say for some BBs.

1,494 posts

I don't know, I've seen graf spee in ranked, & I think they are underestimated, especially if they have a good player, they can be a real thorn in your side, because you think you've got rid of them. But they come back like Lazarus.... Do don't discount the spee so readily...

The biggest problem I've come across, is when dds tell us where they are going, the rest of the team follows dumbly,  so they end up getting wiped out... & the DDS ask for support, but they don't consider where the enemy team spawns, they just see islands to hide behind... & the rest of the team is stupid, so they follow the most popular voice, not the smartest, but the first...

If other players actually read the minimap, they would see where the enemy goes, & work out strategy as the game progress, but no, they follow the first order then that's it.... The rest of the game is up to the gods... Who ever survives, is the winner...

In short, I think over confidence is the problem in this ranked season, they think tier 6 is easy, so they put their brain in stupid mode....

too many battles lost on this overconfident attitude....

just because its lower tier than last time, doesnt mean to lower strategic thinking powers.

Ordrazz

Beta Tester
257 posts
4,264 battles

Popped in for a couple more tries... Should have followed my advice from earlier.

Another Dumbkerque "I'll go block C cap". 2 minutes later, "sorry guys, I'm not going to make it" as he burns out.

Next battle, two Fusos hugging the blue line at the bottom of the map with no cover. DDs both dead after sitting in smoke on cap and being torped. This is getting to be beyond ridiculous. I guess I did too good yesterday for the WG RNG gawdz and I'm being punished for it today. 

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,526 battles

Got up to 13 today and pretty sure I can get to 5ish this season.

IJN player, Ryujo is hit and miss as sometimes your team can't pump out enough damage and AS is a must so stopped playing her.

Aoba is average, too many better Cruisers.

Fubuki is ok, however starting to see a Farragut saturation and she's simply outclassed.

Fuso however, is amazing. Even at 14-10 still a lot of BB players who just sit still or at slow speeds. Very easy targets.

So Fuso is my go-to for this season.

112 posts
1,553 battles

Heh tier 9 is porbably a bit high for most of the playerbase :P What are they going to release? $200 identical prem versions of t9 ships?
1st ranked for me, just reached rank 11 a few mins ago. I'm a bit shocked that there now isn't any safe stops untill rank 1 :,( I can see the ping pong in these 10 ranks being quite frustrating imo. My most effective ship thus far seems to be my perth, not sure how it'll hold up further in.

Also, 52 battles in and my overall win rate seems to be rising XD Used to be 48% now it's over 50 :3 Seems like raked may be making me a betetr player.

Edited by Dire_Venom

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,276 battles
27 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

Tier 9 will be ruled by neptune x fletcher x missouri as far as wombo combo goes

FDG with it's secondary would be pretty damn good

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,290 posts
4 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Don't mind me, I just observe the ranked observations each season silently.

Me too.

You can all have it.......