You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CaptainJohnBlood

Why are Asian servers full of non communicative players?

95 comments in this topic

[KMS-A]
302 posts
4,644 battles
3 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

the attitude of this server seems to be "who cares about the team, i just want to live longer and farm more" for some reason. i know that that kind of selfish thinking is quite prevalent in china, where i come from, but i wonder if IRL other Asian countries have the same kind of thinking

Australia and New Zealand  are not too selfish but occasionally yeah, we get along well and I have noticed that the non-communicative players are almost always the ones doing the stupid things like going to B when all of the team goes A

[REPOI]
5,136 posts
21,090 battles

humm, i have thought about one thing tho, the asian WOWS community is too segregated, i know for a fact that the CN and JP players have a very large player base and community, but they are also very isolated, there is little to no interaction between them apart from certain unicums who knows people in both groups and can speak both CN and JP(or just English but that's rare), so even if the players in these communists communicate with each other in game no one else understands them. i think that WG asia has failed a bit in doing their jobs in cultivating inter-community relations.

large communitys that i know of

english speaking community:- AUS/NZ/Singapore/smattering of players from the asian countries who speaks English : active onreddit-forum-FB ect.

chinene speaking communities: TW- main land china

(however these 2 communitys dont interact that well either, one sticks to QQ as a base of operations and one uses FB/twitter*?)

japanese speaking communities : FB/twitter

malay(varients) speaking communitys- indo/malaysia :active on discord/FB

i think it'd be really great if WG can step up on the "community" part of the game, there is really too little interaction between the groups now

[KMS-A]
302 posts
4,644 battles

Sound great, can we get a staff member to bring this to the attention of war gaming?, this issue needs to be addressed, pronto!

[HKG]
Senior Moderator
91 posts
9,538 battles

In many scenarios, the assumed plan often disintegrated faster than a lighted match, because even though you have a plan, the opponent also has a plan. When plans collide, instinct often takes over the action.

Not to mention it is already hard to form a coherent plan with a kitchen sink fleet run by random folks.

[REPOI]
5,136 posts
21,090 battles
16 minutes ago, Ingramaus said:

In many scenarios, the assumed plan often disintegrated faster than a lighted match, because even though you have a plan, the opponent also has a plan. When plans collide, instinct often takes over the action.

Not to mention it is already hard to form a coherent plan with a kitchen sink fleet run by random folks.

there's such a thing as senior mod in the forums??????

WG Staff
6 posts
1,380 battles

Hey Guys

So the language barrier is a huge issue for Asia and we are working to improve it.
For a start we have those [][][] that keep appearing which we want to fix, along with improving the radio commands. 
We did consider a Auto-translate thing but they would probably be too low of a quality.

• Cool 8

[SGC]
Super Tester
7,897 posts
8,259 battles
1 minute ago, dojoloach_wg said:

Hey Guys

So the language barrier is a huge issue for Asia and we are working to improve it.
For a start we have those [][][] that keep appearing which we want to fix, along with improving the radio commands. 
We did consider a Auto-translate thing but they would probably be too low of a quality.

Great!

[POI]
525 posts
7,946 battles
17 minutes ago, dojoloach_wg said:

Hey Guys

Anything is better than nothing i suppose 

• Cool 1

[REPOI]
5,136 posts
21,090 battles
13 minutes ago, dojoloach_wg said:

Hey Guys

wonderful to get a rep from WG, i would like to ask a question, why has WG not done anything to promote inter culture events, and i dont mean like the chinese newyear sales or the dragon boats giveaways, i mean actual dialog between the various player bases, i know there is a 7v7 T8 tourny event going on in the TW and CN player circles, but i have heard nothing about this mentioned in the English circles. wouldn't this be a very good opportunity to introduce various player bases together?

hoping for your reply soon XD

• Cool 3

WG Staff
6 posts
1,380 battles
19 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

wonderful to get a rep from WG, i would like to ask a question, why has WG not done anything to promote inter culture events, and i dont mean like the chinese newyear sales or the dragon boats giveaways, i mean actual dialog between the various player bases, i know there is a 7v7 T8 tourny event going on in the TW and CN player circles, but i have heard nothing about this mentioned in the English circles. wouldn't this be a very good opportunity to introduce various player bases together?

hoping for your reply soon XD

Yea, that is a good point.
I will check around to see if we can arrange something.

• Cool 5

[REPOI]
5,136 posts
21,090 battles
27 minutes ago, dojoloach_wg said:

Yea, that is a good point.
I will check around to see if we can arrange something.

and also, is it possible to put back the option to copy parts of the in game chat, one of the easiest ways to make yourself understood wast to ctrl-C the chat and paste it in google translate and other translation softwares, but a few patches ago WG removed the ability for us to select portions of the chat so we cant use that anymore and it really hurts anyone who dosnt speaks other languages, im not so troubled by that since i can speak eng, cn and indo, but many of the players cant make temselfs understood when they need to (espically in rank)

is it possiable to make a thread about how to bring the community by a WG staff on the forums? if it is im more then happy to help translate it and repost it to various chinese forums and groups, and i know of some people who can do the same for TW, i think it'd be wonderful to get imput from everyone 

[REPOI]
Super Tester
1,060 posts
10,772 battles

IMO, the client actually showing non-english characters and allowing you to copy the boxes would be a major step forward. It's a very sad state of affairs that in the ASIA server, the English client ensures that you don't understand ANYTHING in chinese/japanese/korean.

• Cool 2

288 posts
5,589 battles
57 minutes ago, stratmania said:

IMO, the client actually showing non-english characters and allowing you to copy the boxes would be a major step forward. It's a very sad state of affairs that in the ASIA server, the English client ensures that you don't understand ANYTHING in chinese/japanese/korean.

Seconded all the way. I can read Chinese reasonably well as a second language, but with an English client I never get the chance.

40 posts
16,078 battles

This thread is a good opportunity to mention something I've noticed about this forum, and that is the impressive English skills of so many of our Asian forum-mates. 

It's not just good grammar, it's things like humorous use of slang, and knowledge of technical naval vocabulary.  I'm an American living in China, speak intermediate Chinese, and I cannot imagine being able to chat in Chinese about superstructures, citadels or shell dispersion.

"My hat is off" to all of you non-native English speakers who take the time and effort to share your comments with us in English.  You really help us native English speakers to feel connected with the Asian server community, and that's much appreciated! :cap_like:

• Cool 5

[SGC]
Super Tester
7,897 posts
8,259 battles
11 minutes ago, Shanghai_Slim said:

This thread is a good opportunity to mention something I've noticed about this forum, and that is the impressive English skills of so many of our Asian forum-mates. 

It's not just good grammar, it's things like humorous use of slang, and knowledge of technical naval vocabulary.  I'm an American living in China, speak intermediate Chinese, and I cannot imagine being able to chat in Chinese about superstructures, citadels or shell dispersion.

"My hat is off" to all of you non-native English speakers who take the time and effort to share your comments with us in English.  You really help us native English speakers to feel connected with the Asian server community, and that's much appreciated! :cap_like:

Well, I think here we are like 1% of the whole Asia server population :P So don't hold your hopes too high ;)

[MRI]
1,993 posts
11,168 battles
4 hours ago, stratmania said:

I am in total agreement. I can read a bit of Japanese but currently that is of no use because the game client doesn't even display the characters.

[REPOI]
5,136 posts
21,090 battles

this is about the only place that there is a concentration of players who can speak eng fluently

20 minutes ago, Shanghai_Slim said:

it's some funny shit, they've memed everthing to make it funny

[151ST]
1,244 posts
5,938 battles

Yeah when I first started posting I somehow had it in my mind that it was all ANZ/working overseas western folks. I was quickly corrected.

So echo that. Sad to admit that most of them smash 90% of native speakers here in Aus.

o7

[REPOI]
5,136 posts
21,090 battles
1 hour ago, S4pp3R said:

Yeah when I first started posting I somehow had it in my mind that it was all ANZ/working overseas western folks. I was quickly corrected.

So echo that. Sad to admit that most of them smash 90% of native speakers here in Aus.

o7

back in the old days, AUS NZ players dominated the forums, but then most of them stopped playing and left, and the ones who come here now are mostly people who just learned about the forums, so basically people who dont have eng as a first language

and what do you mean smash native speakers? in game or in eng?

[TDA]
Super Tester
4,594 posts
5,206 battles

Aus/NZ players really aren't that big on this forum.   The WOT forums was where they really played a big part until some draconian crayoning and the removal of the CR/D subforums led to a dramatic decline in the quantity and quality of posts.   This forum is tame and at times pretty bland.

[151ST]
1,244 posts
5,938 battles
1 hour ago, drakon233 said:

back in the old days, AUS NZ players dominated the forums, but then most of them stopped playing and left, and the ones who come here now are mostly people who just learned about the forums, so basically people who dont have eng as a first language

and what do you mean smash native speakers? in game or in eng?

In grammar, spelling and just general literacy.

ie. They're, there and their

[SGC]
Super Tester
7,897 posts
8,259 battles
36 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

In grammar, spelling and just general literacy.

ie. They're, there and their

Well sometimes we write from phones, and not really bother much about perfect placement of punctuation marks. As long as we are able to pass the idea, we are pretty happy.

[LLBC]
250 posts
17,336 battles

I started to wonder what kind of solution that going to break language barrier down? So many of people do not use English as first language and some don't even able to understand English (which is big problem in my country as well because sarcastic education systems). I'm not going to rely on translator Like google for sure because how hilariously they mistranslated and context that fit the meaning that player trying to get it out.

[1-ATF]
Beta Tester
907 posts
4,424 battles

Honestly, shit translator > no translator. Converting something into your native language, and no matter how bad the grammar is, will allow you to kinda of get the meaning.

Unless this happens.

YeFhhmQ.jpg

Edited by FishyPower

[1NATN]
318 posts
8,141 battles
On 29/06/2017 at 0:39 PM, CaptainJohnBlood said:

OK before I get a bunch of rude replies let me say this - I have been playing a lot of FPS type games for around 15 years and I have played America's Army , Battlefield , Medal of Honor , Counterstrike etc etc over many years and I have also been a clan leader of around 150 players - lots from Asia - Japan / S Korea / Singapore / Indonesia / New Zealand / Australia and then European and USA players. I am Australian.

In my time with other online games I have always found players very communicative and wanting to discuss strategy or giving commands so that in a team we follow a plan.

Unless I play on servers with some very strange happenings but I am so sick of starting a Random round by saying " OK team where do we go what's the plan" and the I get NO ANSWER.....

I try again and still no answer - so in 9 out of 10 games I usually just follow a bunch of people who have no game plan and see what happens 

It's become such a bad trend I am seriously considering giving up playing this game - there is something fundamentally wrong with this game when a team of 12 players have no communication and just play like a bunch of noobs or heroes in both cases the result is same ...zero...

I am keen to hear of others experiences because I cannot be the only person that notices this day in day out....Either WOW has something wrong with the communication by allowing players to message in their own language and that means the English speaking players are not able to communicate with players whose text is no being deciphered on the game chat .... and if this is the case then it's actually a massive negative to the "team gameplay" these online games are so famous for...

Use TeamSpeak, get a bunch of like-minded people to join you in TeamSpeak, CLAN up basically.  However the other option is to install http://aslain.com/index.php?/topic/2020-0670-aslains-wows-modpack-installer-wpicture-preview/

This mod will allow you to click into different servers, however you are starting all over again.

Sign up to the North America and/or European servers....both seem to talk or plan in games more.

Ranked battles seems to have abit of comms btw.

I hope this helps.