You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
S4pp3R

Help with the Nagato

12 comments in this topic

[151ST]
1,027 posts
4,672 battles

G'day folks,

Been slowly pushing up the IJN BB line, have reached the Nagato.

I've pretty much smashed all of them so far, scoring above my account averages (mostly IJN CAs) but I've hit a bit of a roadblock.

My Nagato skills are non existent. I'm not hitting enough and my usual 'sit at 16-17km then move in for the finish' playstyle doesn't seem to be working.

Question to the floor, how do you manage to play the Nagato effectively?

Should I be pushing in more, as I've had success with the Fuso, or should I snipe more ala Kongo?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I know she's a good ship and I'm not getting the most from her.

NB yes uptiered games are a pain but I never found that an issue in the Fuso

TYIA

Edited by S4pp3R

[LNA]
1,697 posts
10,550 battles

Just wander around 15-16km mark , thats the golden engagement range.

Dont push agressively to 12 or shorter engagement though , your slow turret and hull traverse will be your death.

[151ST]
1,027 posts
4,672 battles
3 hours ago, drakon233 said:

iirc there have already been at least 2 nagato help threads, you might want to go back and take a few looks at them

Yeah we'll have been burnt by that before, pretty sure you were in that thread. Basically was commenting based on out of date information...

3 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

Dont push agressively to 12 or shorter engagement though , your slow turret and hull traverse will be your death.

Thanks for the tip, however I excel in those areas even considering that and only do so knowing I'll win the fight. I'll keep it in mind though.

[BRU]
279 posts
2,112 battles
18 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

This. And don't forget to angle. Armor's may not be as good as Colorado's, but at least it'll reduce the chance of getting citadelled multiple times in one enemy salvo.

And if you ever get too close to an enemy ship, Nagato's secondaries are great. But that's just a last-resort weapon. I mount the signal flag that improve secondary gun battery range. Just in case.

18 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

NB yes uptiered games are a pain but I never found that an issue in the Fuso

Weird, I don't find getting in uptiered games in a Nagato an issue. But I hated it in the Fuso.

I suppose getting 410mm guns helped.

[151ST]
1,027 posts
4,672 battles
6 hours ago, EJL said:

This. And don't forget to angle. Armor's may not be as good as Colorado's, but at least it'll reduce the chance of getting citadelled multiple times in one enemy salvo.

And if you ever get too close to an enemy ship, Nagato's secondaries are great. But that's just a last-resort weapon. I mount the signal flag that improve secondary gun battery range. Just in case.

Weird, I don't find getting in uptiered games in a Nagato an issue. But I hated it in the Fuso.

I suppose getting 410mm guns helped.

Thankyou. Although I have thought as much.

I found Fuso easy as I rarely had problems with Penetration and with the number of guns could reliably damage anything at any range, particularly to devastating effect in anything under 16km.

My primary mode of thinking at the moment is that my playstyle isn't effective at higher tiers and thus the thread.

440 posts
3,398 battles

I pretty much play her like a kongo (albeit facing stronger opponents), not showing broadside, zooming around behind the units that are pushing (although sometimes I'm the one who's leading the push or just charging towards the enemy)

[MEGA]
4,670 posts
17,973 battles

nagato is a mid range heavy hitter that packs quite a bit of oomph, but isnt too accurate, she cant tank any 406 shells, so she plays as the mid range damage dealer, the best way to engage another BB with 406+ caliber guns is to show as small of a profile as possible

Super Tester
7,768 posts
8,043 battles

Nagato armor is not that bad as people say, the armor bug has been fixed long time ago. Nagato is played pretty much like a Colorado, you can play aggressive against cruisers or same tier battleships, but not against higher tier battleships. Also don't sail alone when facing a CV.

How much close you can be to you enemy depends on how many of them are there. Play defensively if enemy outnumbers you and your flank, that is 14km and beyond (out of average cruiser range). If not, you can play aggressively. You are faster than a Colorado and your shells hit pretty hard. Do not close in on German battleships, always sail away from them (unless its T6).

Remember this:

Fuso had quantity

Nagato has quality

Amagi will have both.

Good luck!.

[151ST]
1,027 posts
4,672 battles

Thanks everyone!

Will give it a crack over the weekend when I get back from work trip :-/

Unless ranked has gone live, which I believe it has?

[BRU]
279 posts
2,112 battles
2 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

Unless ranked has gone live, which I believe it has?

AFAIK it'll start July 1, at midnight (UTC+8).