Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CarbonMonoxide

Meaning of IJN DD

23 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
404 posts
1,148 battles

Recently we got the newport defense and operation aegis

but I found that torpedo boats are quite useless in both of them

so I wonder if the existence of IJN DD in the team actually benefits the team

the support provided to the team by an IJN DD is usually less than that of other DDs(except USSR DD)

so the only outstanding point should be torpedo

but torpedo seldom hits

so what I feel is that

the existence of IJN DD in the team is already a burden

unless its captain is a torpedo master

in this way IJN DD seems quite useless to the team

is that real?

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

the IJN DDs have 3 uses in game

1. you can imidietly spot the dumbasses on your team(anyone playing IJN DDs who isnt in a kamikaze/clone) and know to ignore them

2. they force your BBs to push up and tank because they will spam torps behind the BBs and they will have to move up to avoid them, thus, ending the problem of BB kamping

3. the memes

Edited by drakon233

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

What is ironic is, the best IJN DD to be used in that mode is Tier 5 Minekaze (or Kamikaze) while Both Hatsuharu and Fubuki have horrible torp characteristic that make The bot able to react to the torp, thus evade the massive damage

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,263 battles

I remember 2 scenarios where IJN DDs actually came in useful.

1. Kamikaze/Kamikaze R/Fujin. These guys are still as OP as every with that fast torp speed that the bots can barely react to, not to mention that sweet BB-like reload.

2. Izumo in Newport Defense. I remember one match where a Izumo spawned. I was in a Bayern and getting shot to pieces by the Izumo on my right and another BB in front of me. Have my guns on the right, I decided to try and bow tank the non-Izumo BB. Shit was getting intense and I was down to around 10k HP. It was then, that a Fubuki suicide-torp and rammed the Izumo, allowing me to tank and finally heal myself.

That said, technically any DD would have done scenario 2 just as well, so yeah. Non-Kamikaze/Kamikaze R/Fujin IJN DDs are just stupid

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

Maybe the IJN DD on the OPs team had a bad run.

Both my Mutsuki and Kamikaze perform well in Aegis. 

Good positioning and timing are the key.

Its easy to keep out of detection range, as the bots all follow a set course. A good operator will carry the team more than once.

Super Tester
7,542 posts
7,978 battles

Any ship is good to go with PvE. We tested it with the most useless tier 5 and 6 ships multiple times and all ended up with 5 stars. Some of the matches our Shinonomes and Kamikazes were top of the team.

May be your team failed to come up with a winning strategy. It's definitely not the ships.

Now if you talk about random battles, sure they are underpowered, boring and not competitive. But at the hand of a good DD player, they are extremely deadly. It's just that average weebs of the server got their brains stuck in anime world, thus cannot utilize what ijn dds have to offer. At the end of the day, ships are just instruments, it's the players who make up the stats.

203 posts
11,788 battles

The problem with Torpedoes armament (which IJN DD line happens to be focused on) is that they're easy to be counter, so easy that most of victims don't know they're doing it.
By simply turn away from torpedo threat. Suddenly you're almost immune to close range torpedoes like F3 (8kms) and Kami's torps. (7kms) 

Torpedo with longer range struggle as well because they have to catch up with the moving away targets by the time torpedo reach the target it could be out of range already.
Long range torpedo attack is not really effective because the longer the distance the wider the spread is making it harder to hit the target.

You have to position yourself where enemy is pushing or even better where enemy is running. You don't want your torpedoes to do any kind of catch up to your targets.
This rule is quite hard for our meta but you have to do it otherwise your torpedoes won't do much. (Strike where it matters)

For scenario mode. Destroyers are not going to do much with the available firepower frontally like cruisers/battleships.
Operation Newport

You have to go out there use your smoke and strike where it hurts, Your damage doesn't come from overwhelming firepower.

Operation Aegis

You are better off working alone doing "behind the scene work". Your main target is 2 CVs. (Hosho and Zuiho)
If you stay with the fleet you only have one role and that is providing the fleet with smoke screen and supporting them.

Which again you won't be doing much because you don't have overwhelming firepower like cruisers/battleships

Edited by MikuChrome

1,126 posts

not only in operation mode that IJNDD are useless

last match in my Kagero, tier 8 match with CV, north map

enemy CV scatter all their plane to all A, B, and C (I'm spawn near A so, going D is out of question... my team gunboat DD already there)

by just doing that, it's completely seal off IJNDD from do anything at all, can't torp, can't advance, can't cap.

and there's enemy radar ship as well...

that match I can't do anything but running around like an idiot... end up lowest rank in team... T_T

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,513 battles

Yep, they're really not the best, however a few pieces of advice that can help:

- Overlap torps more to get 2+ hits instead of 1.

- Run Torp Acceleration on Fubuki. Then play her more like Kamikaze. Her 3x3 becomes useful, however her reload is a tad annoying.

- Know where the priority targets are going to be and just focus them. ie in Aegis, get to where the CVs spawn before they do and drop both quickly.

Well it's what I've found improved my results.

Generally I'll only play my DDs if everything else is on CD (IJN player here).

199 posts
18,023 battles

[content removed] the DD . Get a battleship . You can snack while your guns reload .

Profanity. Post edited, user already sanctioned.

~amade

Edited by amade

Video Contributor
2,264 posts
10,789 battles

How to be IJN DD

Smoke in front of radar boat/hydro boat

Done!

I usually hate who play IJN dd example 

Smoke in front of radar boat

Don't use guns! Use torpedoes! (in situation say you must use! No one signal!)

YOLO and die fast

No cap kill all

Edited by Onlinegamer

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

Dunno why but all the time i see Gearing vs against other Tier X DDs, Gearing is always the one that get sunk early, and most of them are by torps, either Shimakaze's torps or Khaba's torps (and btw, i observed Gearing from both my team and enemy and most of them lost to Shimakaze and Khaba). I really don't know why.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

gearings VS shimakaze has a problem these days, usually what happenes is this,

gearing spots shimakaze,

gearing shoots shimakaze,

shimakaze runs away without shooting back,

shima gets into concealment after loseing 5-10k hp but still spots gearing,

gearing gets sunk by the enemy team's fire,

team says "noob gearing cant even kill shimakaze",

team loses

russians have enouhg sped to run away after killing something, the gearing is fat, slow and unarmored

372 posts
10,097 battles
20 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

gearings VS shimakaze has a problem these days, usually what happenes is this,

gearing spots shimakaze,

gearing shoots shimakaze,

shimakaze runs away without shooting back,

shima gets into concealment after loseing 5-10k hp but still spots gearing,

gearing gets sunk by the enemy team's fire,

team says "noob gearing cant even kill shimakaze",

team loses

russians have enouhg sped to run away after killing something, the gearing is fat, slow and unarmored

??????? Gearing has the same concealment as the shimakaze. If you die to enemy fire in just 20 seconds as a DD you shouldn't be playing DD.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles
6 minutes ago, WongSongMing said:

??????? Gearing has the same concealment as the shimakaze. If you die to enemy fire in just 20 seconds as a DD you shouldn't be playing DD.

you shoot enemy for 30s + 20s for you to get back into concealment, you are fat and easy to hit unless you can speed tank, and you are useless as a gunbote if your HP goes below 8k,

372 posts
10,097 battles
3 hours ago, drakon233 said:

you shoot enemy for 30s + 20s for you to get back into concealment, you are fat and easy to hit unless you can speed tank, and you are useless as a gunbote if your HP goes below 8k,

If your shooting the shima for 30 secs then there won't be any shima left to spot you. 

Theres this thing called wasd.

Gearing is a hybrid boat with great torps, even if you have 1 hp left you can still wreck the enemy with torp walls and spam them from smoke.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles
25 minutes ago, WongSongMing said:

If your shooting the shima for 30 secs then there won't be any shima left to spot you. 

Theres this thing called wasd.

Gearing is a hybrid boat with great torps, even if you have 1 hp left you can still wreck the enemy with torp walls and spam them from smoke.

a shima isnt that easy to kill if he runs away, the shimas that gets killed outright by a gearing is either one with 0 support from his team, one that broadsides and let you take 2k salvos off him every 3s, or a really stupid one that tries to rush you

and you think i cant WASD?

which is why is said "ineffective as a gunboat"

372 posts
10,097 battles

If he's running away and you keep shooting for 30 seconds you deserve to die.

No if your losing to a shima.

Smoke. 

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles
6 minutes ago, WongSongMing said:

If he's running away and you keep shooting for 30 seconds you deserve to die.

No if your losing to a shima.

Smoke. 

im shooting him for as long as i feel safe to

i dont lose to a damn shima, i lose to his team

are you serious with the smoke thing, if you are on that low HP any ways then you might as well give it for the team

372 posts
10,097 battles
34 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

im shooting him for as long as i feel safe to

i dont lose to a damn shima, i lose to his team

are you serious with the smoke thing, if you are on that low HP any ways then you might as well give it for the team

Then clearly your feelings are off.

So you engaged a shima near his team without any friendly support. Sigh....

Actually 1hp is optimal for smoke/torp spam because of adrenaline rush.

Super Tester
7,542 posts
7,978 battles
7 hours ago, drakon233 said:

Usually when you meet shima in a cap for the first time, that is if the shima decides to even come close to caps, enemy team should not have the whole squad behind him. Its at most 2-3 ships. How many salvos can they pump in 20 seconds? Not much. You are fat, but when you run away, its still not easy to hit from 10-12 km. You should never open fire as soon as you spot enemy DD, first you have to see whether he is going to flee or committed to fight. The next mistake is, you should always be able to spot the supports before getting spotted yourself. If you still decide to push, its all on you. Gearing vs shima in most cases should be one sided, if it doesnt work for gearing, its mostly the gearing player's fault. he did something wrong.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Sign in to follow this