admiral_tee

News articles tagged as Month/Day/Year and not Day/Month/Year or Year/Month/Day?

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey,

Just noticed that the WOWS Asia News page, all the articles are dated in the format of Month/Day/Year format and not either Day/Month/Year (most common in Asia) or Year/Month/Day (China plus a few others). Philippines is the only odd bod with Month/Day/Year, likely as a hangover from being an ex-US colony.

Why are the articles in a format that isn't a format for 99% of the population in "Asia" nor is it Russian thing as Russia is also Day/Month/Year format.

Tee

Edited by admiral_tee

that's... that's.... that's actually a very legit qustion, huh

iirc in the past there was also another topic with like 100 comments arguing about time format :Smile_teethhappy:

I also dislike the MM/DD/YY format if used in pure number because it makes no sense. They should have fully explained the month in letters so people won't misunderstand. Things like June 7, 2017 is perfectly understandable but 6/7/2017 is confusing.

I never know what date it is, or even the day or the weather, I just look out the window.

:fish_happy:

Ordrazz

better solution is to use the code that calls the regional settings from the browser viewing the page.

That way you get your settings and the argument disappears (even tho dd/mm/yyyy is the correct way to do things ;) )

Posted (edited)

Not sure how severe this issue. It should be fixed with few tweaks on common sense by knowing the date of the latest article then way down.

Obviously month of June is denoted by digit 6 and day of the month is 19. << Dunno why someone had to explain this, but I guess time has changed & people's brain doesn't functioned as it used to.

Edited by Mingfang47

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Mingfang47 said:

Not sure how severe this issue. It should be fixed with few tweaks on common sense by knowing the date of the latest article then way down.

Obviously month of June is denoted by digit 6 and day of the month is 19. << Dunno why someone had to explain this, but I guess time has changed & people's brain doesn't functioned as it used to.

Our brains work fine. Thanks for thinking that... No, really... :/

My question was more around the "why?" rather than "how do I get my little insect brain around this, please help me I am dumb, what is my thumb and forefinger for again?".

As 99% of Asia don't use MDY and Russia doesn't use MDY, why does the World Of Warships Asia page use MDY?

Is the WOWS Asia page managed by a US led team? Was the WOWS Asia page designed by the same WG crew that created and manage the WOWS NA site?

Tee

Edited by admiral_tee

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Mingfang47 said:

It's a genuine and legitimate concern though. People should not have to jump through additional hoops just to figure out if a date is July 6 or June 7, when a properly formatted date format specifically catered to the region would alleviate the confusion.

One would expect to know the date just by looking at the date, rather than looking at the date and then scrolling through earlier articles to compare the dates.

Asking Asian (YYYY-MM-DD) and Commonwealth (DD-MM-YYYY) players to just "deal with it" and get used to the American dating system, is kind of like saying "just deal with it" with having Fahrenheit temperatures, gallon volumes, stone weights and inch lengths outside of America. This isn't America.

Edited by benlisquare

10 minutes ago, benlisquare said:

It's a genuine and legitimate concern though. People should not have to jump through additional hoops just to figure out if a date is July 6 or June 7, when a properly formatted date format specifically catered to the region would alleviate the confusion.

One would expect to know the date just by looking at the date, rather than looking at the date and then scrolling through earlier articles to compare the dates.

Asking Asian (YYYY-MM-DD) and Commonwealth (DD-MM-YYYY) players to just "deal with it" and get used to the American dating system, is kind of like saying "just deal with it" with having Fahrenheit temperatures, gallon volumes, stone weights and inch lengths outside of America. This isn't America.

Live long enough with it and you can judge it just fine , i was at first confusing with Farenheit and gallon and what not , after 1-2 years learning Air Traffic Control , i can use and judge the amount equipvalent just fine now. :Smile_great: