You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Dire_Venom

IFHE on german DD's (127,152mm)

8 comments in this topic

[ANZMC]
112 posts
1,553 battles

Hi all, so after spending an hour surfing the forums I have yet to find a conclusive argument for getting IFHE on german DD's.

I know that they get the bonus 1/4 instead of 1/6(Edit:This is false, just 1/6), but how would this interact with IFHE:? Would having the extra innate pen nulify the use of ifhe:?

On the Gaede with it's 152mm guns would Ifhe make a significant impact on your damage vs cruisers and BB's:? So far I've found its guns to be somewhat lacking in damage :/

I'm no math wizz, and would really appreciate and info/advice :3

Thanks!

Edited by Dire_Venom

[LNA]
1,924 posts
11,673 battles

No just no , you are better off not getting it because of the lower fire chance, and having more pen is not exactly good , even RU dd dont benefit from it and they are better gun dd than Germans.

Any DD that is not Akizuki shouldnt take IFHE

• Cool 1

[BOTES]
Modder
556 posts
4,295 battles
7 minutes ago, Dire_Venom said:

Hi all, so after spending an hour surfing the forums I have yet to find a conclusive argument for getting IFHE on german DD's.

I know that they get the bonus 1/4 instead of 1/6, but how would this interact with IFHE:? Would having the extra innate pen nulify the use of ifhe:?

On the Gaede with it's 152mm guns would Ifhe make a significant impact on your damage vs cruisers and BB's:? So far I've found its guns to be somewhat lacking in damage :/

I'm no math wizz, and would really appreciate and info/advice :3

Thanks!

A few facts I would like to point out

1. German DDs do not benefit from the HE bonus like the German Cruisers and Battleships do. [1] As a result, their armor penetration is still calculated at 1/6

2. The main guns on Ernst Gaede are either 128mm or 150mm.[2] I believe that you've mixed up the 150mm gun with the 152 mm gun commonly found on Cruisers. Despite it's a very small caliber difference, the difference in diameter should be noted for optimal decision making 

Reference

1. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration 
  2. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Ernst_Gaede
Edited by 9mm1n
  • Cool 1

[ANZMC]
112 posts
1,553 battles
39 minutes ago, 9mm1n said:

A few facts I would like to point out

1. German DDs do not benefit from the HE bonus like the German Cruisers and Battleships do [1]

2. The main guns on Ernst Gaede are either 128mm or 150mm.[2] I believe that you've mixed up the 150mm gun with the 152 mm gun commonly found on Cruisers. Despite it's a very small caliber difference, the difference in diameter should be noted for optimal decision making 

Reference

1. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration 
  2. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Ernst_Gaede

Thank you, I've never seen that mentioned XD Glad I know now.

What sort of captain build would you suggest for the gaede:? I've got the basic first 4 skills, but I have no idea what do do with the rest of my points XD

The damage on the 150mm guns just seems so pitiful :,(

I've also been told that the german DD ap is quite good, but on the whole (shooting superstructure) its been quite lacking. 

Edited by Dire_Venom

[POI]
1,310 posts

in gaede. its sticking with 128mm is better choice. the 150mm gun takes TOO long to reload. to the point it doesnt worth it.

but in z-23. u can take 150mm gun, since 150mm gun on z-23 gives u 1 extra barrel (turrets A become double). and the reload is somewhat acceptable. still slow. but yeah. Much better than gaede.

note : z-23 need BOTH hull B and upgraded gun to access the double barrel turrets. yeah. upgrade ur hull first.

• Cool 1

[REPOI]
5,064 posts
20,525 battles
16 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

Any DD that is not Akizuki shouldnt take IFHE

have you already forgotten about soviet DDs?

[LNA]
1,924 posts
11,673 battles
5 hours ago, drakon233 said:

have you already forgotten about soviet DDs?

If you grind the line and have no intention of staying with some ships , IFHE is not worth it imho.

Higher tier use 130mm guns , although with IFHE you can hurt CA/CL alot more it is generally wiser not to court gun fight seriously with them.

Lower tier see IFHE shines with USSR dd , but i really dont like to shink 4 pts into a skill that is too situational later on.