You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Dire_Venom

IFHE on german DD's (127,152mm)

8 comments in this topic

112 posts
1,553 battles

Hi all, so after spending an hour surfing the forums I have yet to find a conclusive argument for getting IFHE on german DD's.

I know that they get the bonus 1/4 instead of 1/6(Edit:This is false, just 1/6), but how would this interact with IFHE:? Would having the extra innate pen nulify the use of ifhe:?

On the Gaede with it's 152mm guns would Ifhe make a significant impact on your damage vs cruisers and BB's:? So far I've found its guns to be somewhat lacking in damage :/

I'm no math wizz, and would really appreciate and info/advice :3

Thanks!

Edited by Dire_Venom

[LNA]
1,666 posts
10,491 battles

No just no , you are better off not getting it because of the lower fire chance, and having more pen is not exactly good , even RU dd dont benefit from it and they are better gun dd than Germans.

Any DD that is not Akizuki shouldnt take IFHE

[BOTES]
439 posts
3,957 battles
7 minutes ago, Dire_Venom said:

Hi all, so after spending an hour surfing the forums I have yet to find a conclusive argument for getting IFHE on german DD's.

I know that they get the bonus 1/4 instead of 1/6, but how would this interact with IFHE:? Would having the extra innate pen nulify the use of ifhe:?

On the Gaede with it's 152mm guns would Ifhe make a significant impact on your damage vs cruisers and BB's:? So far I've found its guns to be somewhat lacking in damage :/

I'm no math wizz, and would really appreciate and info/advice :3

Thanks!

A few facts I would like to point out

1. German DDs do not benefit from the HE bonus like the German Cruisers and Battleships do. [1] As a result, their armor penetration is still calculated at 1/6

2. The main guns on Ernst Gaede are either 128mm or 150mm.[2] I believe that you've mixed up the 150mm gun with the 152 mm gun commonly found on Cruisers. Despite it's a very small caliber difference, the difference in diameter should be noted for optimal decision making 

Reference

1. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration 
  2. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Ernst_Gaede
Edited by 9mm1n

112 posts
1,553 battles
39 minutes ago, 9mm1n said:

A few facts I would like to point out

1. German DDs do not benefit from the HE bonus like the German Cruisers and Battleships do [1]

2. The main guns on Ernst Gaede are either 128mm or 150mm.[2] I believe that you've mixed up the 150mm gun with the 152 mm gun commonly found on Cruisers. Despite it's a very small caliber difference, the difference in diameter should be noted for optimal decision making 

Reference

1. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration 
  2. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Ernst_Gaede

Thank you, I've never seen that mentioned XD Glad I know now.

What sort of captain build would you suggest for the gaede:? I've got the basic first 4 skills, but I have no idea what do do with the rest of my points XD

The damage on the 150mm guns just seems so pitiful :,(

I've also been told that the german DD ap is quite good, but on the whole (shooting superstructure) its been quite lacking. 

Edited by Dire_Venom

Super Tester
1,310 posts

in gaede. its sticking with 128mm is better choice. the 150mm gun takes TOO long to reload. to the point it doesnt worth it.

but in z-23. u can take 150mm gun, since 150mm gun on z-23 gives u 1 extra barrel (turrets A become double). and the reload is somewhat acceptable. still slow. but yeah. Much better than gaede.

note : z-23 need BOTH hull B and upgraded gun to access the double barrel turrets. yeah. upgrade ur hull first.

[LNA]
1,666 posts
10,491 battles
5 hours ago, drakon233 said:

have you already forgotten about soviet DDs?

If you grind the line and have no intention of staying with some ships , IFHE is not worth it imho.

Higher tier use 130mm guns , although with IFHE you can hurt CA/CL alot more it is generally wiser not to court gun fight seriously with them.

Lower tier see IFHE shines with USSR dd , but i really dont like to shink 4 pts into a skill that is too situational later on.