Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BigWaveSurfer

For the Aussie players

19 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
946 posts
5,648 battles

well since 2011 (on NA WoT server) I have been among a few fellow aussie player who have asked for a Australian tank, namely the AC1 and or AC4, but still we wait. WoWP I have also brought up Aussie planes like the CA12 Boomerang on there forums.

So I guess the question is who will give us an Aussie 'weapon of war' first?

Now with WoWS coming there is a chance that we many see them being first, bring a warship with Aussie connection as HMAS Australia I a battlecruiser of the Indefatigable class may make it into the game first. (this could still be a long shot as the Invincible-class battlecruisers is earmarked for the game and both classes are much the same).

There is also hope that just maybe the local built HMAS Albatross and seaplane tender could even be a good option for a low tier carrier line.

Maybe I live in a dream world but they tell me daydreaming is good for you. so here is dreaming :unsure:

Alpha Tester
87 posts
3,595 battles
i thought i read that the HMAS ALBATROSS could be included as a premium but i could be wrong,as for the rest of the aussie ships most are of the british design anyway so chances are pretty slim

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
946 posts
5,648 battles

I guess when I think about it HMAS Australia I isn't much different to me using a M3 Lee or a Matilda, 2 tanks that we used in combat during WWII

Go the ALBATROSS :great:

19 posts
4 battles

well since 2011 (on NA WoT server) I have been among a few fellow aussie player who have asked for a Australian tank, namely the AC1 and or AC4, but still we wait. WoWP I have also brought up Aussie planes like the CA12 Boomerang on there forums.

So I guess the question is who will give us an Aussie 'weapon of war' first?

Now with WoWS coming there is a chance that we many see them being first, bring a warship with Aussie connection as HMAS Australia I a battlecruiser of the Indefatigable class may make it into the game first. (this could still be a long shot as the Invincible-class battlecruisers is earmarked for the game and both classes are much the same).

There is also hope that just maybe the local built HMAS Albatross and seaplane tender could even be a good option for a low tier carrier line.

Maybe I live in a dream world but they tell me daydreaming is good for you. so here is dreaming :unsure:

No chance I say. I requested the sentinel tank on wot asia and apparently they wont get it because the Anzac's are the "minority". The sentinel is way better than that louse jap tank we got for the special. 

[PBKAC]
Alpha Tester
207 posts
1,259 battles

I could see scope for an Australian Premium - but premiums thus far in the other two games (as far as I know) are only available where there is a full country tree as well - or one coming shortly - as happened with the Japanese and Chinese trees where we got access to premium tanks first.

Given that the RAN has (a) never been particularly large and (b) never been particularly into developing and building it's own vessels (within the timeframe around which the game is set) it's hard to see how a RAN tree could work.

No tree = no premiums, same as in the other two games?

The carrier line, for example, would be pretty thin, with a total of three units - HMAS Melbourne & HMAS Sydney (Majestic Class) and HMAS Vengeance (Colossus Class).  Vengeance was a loaner anyways.

You can't call Albatross a carrier either really.  T'was a mere seaplane tender.

The BB line would be, well, one ship. 

Can't see how Australia warrants representation in the game - a shame, but there you go.

Tanz

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
946 posts
5,648 battles

Canada has a premium tank in WoT (Ram II) so there is hope as it is in the US line, any Aussie premium could go into a British line.

Alpha Tester
23 posts
19 battles

I could see scope for an Australian Premium - but premiums thus far in the other two games (as far as I know) are only available where there is a full country tree as well - or one coming shortly - as happened with the Japanese and Chinese trees where we got access to premium tanks first.

Given that the RAN has (a) never been particularly large and (b) never been particularly into developing and building it's own vessels (within the timeframe around which the game is set) it's hard to see how a RAN tree could work.

No tree = no premiums, same as in the other two games?

The carrier line, for example, would be pretty thin, with a total of three units - HMAS Melbourne & HMAS Sydney (Majestic Class) and HMAS Vengeance (Colossus Class).  Vengeance was a loaner anyways.

You can't call Albatross a carrier either really.  T'was a mere seaplane tender.

The BB line would be, well, one ship. 

Can't see how Australia warrants representation in the game - a shame, but there you go.

Tanz

Well said Tanz, fully agree, like ur use of english *cough* ARMED *cough*

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

Given that the RAN has (a) never been particularly large an

The RAN had over 300 ships during WWII, and since we were referred to as "The ScrapIron Flotilla" I will let you guess what age those ships were.....

Most, if not all Aus ships were based on or built by the U.S. or British, mush like our tanks

Alpha Tester
416 posts
17 battles

The AC1 / AC4 tank is already in World of Tanks, it's stats were leaked on FTR.

It's just not avaliable in the game shop, and I think it was made before models were released in HD - it's in SD which further puts back the chances of it being released.

It's there though, they modeled it and gave it stats.

[PBKAC]
Alpha Tester
207 posts
1,259 battles

Given that the RAN has (a) never been particularly large an

The RAN had over 300 ships during WWII, and since we were referred to as "The ScrapIron Flotilla" I will let you guess what age those ships were.....

Most, if not all Aus ships were based on or built by the U.S. or British, mush like our tanks

300 odd sounds like a lot, counting right down to the last thing bigger than a whaleboat, but compared to the fleets being run at the same time during the same conflict by other powers, it's minuscule.  The ramp up in fleet numbers for Aus from pre-war too is a flat looking curve, compared to other powers.  This isn't a criticism (I'm an Aussie) it's just the way things were and pretty much the way things continue to be - small conventional powered navy.  That doesn't mean ineffective, or under scaled - although we'd all like to see more ships in service I think - and things would seem to be on the improve.  Well, at least not deteriorating further.  Wish we could get our heads around ditching conventional power though, why we're so ignorantly against that I'll never understand.

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
946 posts
5,648 battles

pre-release wiki mentions the seaplane tender Akitsushima as tier 3 in Japanese carrier line, so HMAS Albatross fits in. but you guys are the alpha testers and should have a better idea of what is coming then me

[PBKAC]
Alpha Tester
207 posts
1,259 battles

Variety is the spice of life, but including seaplane tenders would be stretching things, IMHO.

Seaplanes, by dint of being floaty *and* wingy things, have the (sea state permitting) luxury of landing anywhere they damn well please out on the briny.  But they need to rearm, repair and refuel from time to time, like any other plane.  You can build ports to accommodate this (the American Seabees were *phenomenal* at this) or you can build a self-propelled port - a seaplane tender.

Seaplane tender features usually include one or more large cranes, with which to bodily lift a seaplane out of the water up onto the workdeck for repairs, and auxiliary cranes and booms, with which to rearm and refuel the seaplane(s).  

Generalities end there - Akitsushima could accommodate one aircraft on deck for repairs, but not steam at any speed or in any sea state other than flat whilst it was there - to the best of my knowledge.  Albatross could carry up to nine aircraft in her internal hangers - but three had to be CKD to fit and the remaining six bent, folded, de-bombed and sitting on little trundles, with their gear up.  Albatross was initially designed to be able to catapult launch the planes she was initially designed to service - but never ended up servicing that aircraft.

In theory I guess Albatross, at least in its initial design with a catapult launcher, could function as a defacto carrier -  but given that she would have to come to a halt to recover or service aircraft and would launch aircraft one at a time with a reasonable delay in between launches, I can't see how you could make this work, unless you glossed over all that inconvenience.  Which would be pretty dull of Wargaming, I think, if they did.  

Akitsushima could act as a floating port, rearming, refueling and repairing as many seaplanes as you could chuck at her, but wouldn't be able to steam whilst doing so.  I dunno, maybe that's a game mechanic that the game will need, who knows.

The Americans had their own take on seaplane tenders too, the Barnegat and Currituck classes were very very cool ships and worth reading up on.

Tanz

Edited by Tanzer

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
946 posts
5,648 battles

the game (from what I have seen) currently has seaplanes in it (launch from BB's and CA's) so I can't see it being that big a deal having seaplane tenders at tier 2-3. there combat would be limited to a scouting, which would help those lower tier BB's and CA's as they didn't carry seaplanes (most of the them)

Alpha Tester
19 posts
3,452 battles

[content removed]

Do not discuss alpha related stuff outside of the closed section!

~amade

Edited by amade

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

I think the simplest way to get AU/NZ/CN variants in will be for the modding community to come up with the skins for the lines that we want.  

Let's face it you won't need to mod the flags (AU/NZ/CN all used the RN Ensign during WWII), so it will generally be the little things that differentiate the colonial variants.

Sign in to follow this