User_1145141919810

What's the ramming damage mechanism?

4 comments in this topic

[COAT]
1,182 posts
10,137 battles

I don't know how to cause the most damage and receive the least damage when ramming.Sometimes,I can see the same type ships,almost same HP,one can ram-kill another and survive.How to do that?

1,105 posts

RAM damage = max HP of ship (not current HP) = damage

ramming have flag which increase damage by XX and decrease damage taken by XX

i am not sure, but there is some condition that will make the rammer still alive. if you ram the stern part, the ship will destroyed but u can still survive. if you both ram the bow part, both will sunk......

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

The Shark is close, but wins no banana.

I used the search function and found this :

Ramming

The mechanics for ramming are quite simple, and can be described as the following:

• Two parameters are used when calculating ramming damage; the mass (base Hit Points) of the colliding ships, and their relative speed to each other.
  • The location of the impact and the armor thickness of the ships play no role in determining the damage inflicted.
  • The remaining amount of HP of the colliding ships do not matter, only their base (maximum) HP is used in the ramming calculation.
  • Damage inflicted in ramming is applied to the ship's Universal HP pool.
  • The maximum damage from a collision in each pair of colliding ships can not exceed the lowest base HP between the two ships. E.g. if the Erie collides with the Yamato, the maximum amount of damage Erie and Yamato will each inflict on one another is worth the base HP of Erie.
  • If the ramming damage received exceeds 10% of the ship's base HP, the ship will also take flooding damage, provided it survived the ram.
  • Collision between allied ships will not cause flooding, and ramming damage is reduced by a considerably large factor.
  • If two ships collide but neither are destroyed, and physical contact continues, the ramming calculation is repeated in fairly rapid intervals until contact is broken or one ship is destroyed.

Ramming damage is devastating even at low speeds. It should be avoided if the player's ship is still in good condition; the longer it stays in the fight the more it can contribute to the team and the more damage it can inflict upon the enemy. It should only be attempted when it is absolutely critical that the enemy ship must sink immediately, or as a last Hail Mary when the player's ship is already battered with no hope of survival. Ramming just for the "lulz" factor may or may not earn the team's appreciation; some might see it a waste of a perfectly good ship, others may think of it as going down in style

note; this is taken from a thread dated 2015, things may have changed.

283 posts
3,566 battles
1 hour ago, AntifoulAwl said:

The Shark is close, but wins no banana.

I used the search function and found this :

Ramming

The mechanics for ramming are quite simple, and can be described as the following:

• Two parameters are used when calculating ramming damage; the mass (base Hit Points) of the colliding ships, and their relative speed to each other.
  • The location of the impact and the armor thickness of the ships play no role in determining the damage inflicted.
  • The remaining amount of HP of the colliding ships do not matter, only their base (maximum) HP is used in the ramming calculation.
  • Damage inflicted in ramming is applied to the ship's Universal HP pool.
  • The maximum damage from a collision in each pair of colliding ships can not exceed the lowest base HP between the two ships. E.g. if the Erie collides with the Yamato, the maximum amount of damage Erie and Yamato will each inflict on one another is worth the base HP of Erie.
  • If the ramming damage received exceeds 10% of the ship's base HP, the ship will also take flooding damage, provided it survived the ram.
  • Collision between allied ships will not cause flooding, and ramming damage is reduced by a considerably large factor.
  • If two ships collide but neither are destroyed, and physical contact continues, the ramming calculation is repeated in fairly rapid intervals until contact is broken or one ship is destroyed.

Ramming damage is devastating even at low speeds. It should be avoided if the player's ship is still in good condition; the longer it stays in the fight the more it can contribute to the team and the more damage it can inflict upon the enemy. It should only be attempted when it is absolutely critical that the enemy ship must sink immediately, or as a last Hail Mary when the player's ship is already battered with no hope of survival. Ramming just for the "lulz" factor may or may not earn the team's appreciation; some might see it a waste of a perfectly good ship, others may think of it as going down in style

note; this is taken from a thread dated 2015, things may have changed.

3 hours ago, Kim_JongMion said:

I don't know how to cause the most damage and receive the least damage when ramming.Sometimes,I can see the same type ships,almost same HP,one can ram-kill another and survive.How to do that?

My favourite pun/sentence

I am not sure of the factors contributing to this but by type I assume you mean BB/CL/DD/CV well in that case then even the slightest hp difference can cause the kill/survive thing. If you mean kuma v kuma or kaiser v kaiser then by hp difference you mean they lost some hp and hence the one with more hp will always prevail but technically that only means that that ship dies first but the other ship will also die, the other factors can come into effect such as the ramming flag which inflicts a substantial amount more of damage and causes the wearer to take less damage. Basically the whole thing is decided upon what the ships total undamaged health is, if say a dd with 3000 health and 8000 total health rammed a battleship with 6000 health but 50,000 total health, the dd would kill the battleship and both would sink, kapeesh?