Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
coldsteelfury

Capturing an area timer question

10 comments in this topic

36 posts
3,126 battles

I've noticed that when I am capturing an area, there is a timer that starts counting. As the timer counts down, sometimes it inexplicably goes backwards.

Sometimes I understand why this is so: maybe there was an allied vessel helping me to capture the area and they were destroyed or left the area. Or alternatively an enemy vessel has entered the area and stalled my capture.

But I just played a game where right at the beginning of the match, I made a bee-line to an area. I was the only one in the area and proceeded with a roughly 1 minute count down to capture. There were no allied or enemy vessels near the zone. Then when some enemy vessels come out from behind an island (but still 8 km away from the actual area, so I'm still the only one in the area), the count down clock starts going backwards?!

What gives? Can someone explain the count down mechanic to me? Sometimes the game pushes the countdown backwards and there is no obvious answer as to why: no one got sunk, no one entered the area, no one left the area, nothing happened other than my fat ass simply is inexplicably taking longer to capture the area than when the countdown originally started! (Clarification: At no time during the capture process did my ship leave the area, even for a second)

Call me simple but I kinda figure that if I enter an area at the beginning at the match and am the only ship in said area, then the counter should inexorably count down in a regular fashion from 60 down to 1 provided I am the only ship in the aforementioned area for the duration of the 60 seconds. If the rest of my team gets sunk or if enemies pop into visual range (& remain steadfastly outside the area I occupy), my count down should be unaffected unless there is a change to the number of ships occupying the aforementioned area. But this is not what happens and it's really weird.

Edited by coldsteelfury

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

whenever you get hit, the amount of time you spend on the cap is cut by half, so if you almost get the cap at, for example, A point, but get hit once, you must wait for another half of the time you spend there

get hit twice, your cap time will cut off by 75%

[Cap timing * 50%n] with N = amount of you get hit

Super Tester
2,725 posts

If any of cappers got hit by one & only shell, your team's capture progress decreased.

If they only focus fire on 1 capper out of 3, other 2 cappers' capture progress goes uninterrupted.

If they hit all the ships capturing the base, their capture progress will decreased. 

This is part of game mechanics.

Edited by Mingfang47

440 posts
3,379 battles

Never mind what I said (deleted)

Edited by rouge42
Because derp

1,126 posts

get hit and capping point gone down.

that is why BB don't get into cap zone (and shouldn't), they easy to get hit and reset.

except that the coast are very very clear so BB can cap.

but to defend the already capped zone, it's difference story

36 posts
3,126 battles

Thanks for your responses all, that was very helpful. Especially thank you to Thyaliad, that graphic was really very clear and helped me to understand a lot more about WOW strategy (i.e. to stop an enemy fleet capturing an area, it is advantageous to cycle your attacks amongst all the enemy vessels. Normally I'd just hit one vessel constantly because I am thinking concentrating my fire is the quickest way to sink the enemy fleet faster, but I can see now that cycling your fire is a valid area-capturing denial strategy. Furthermore to PGM991's excellent point, this is why capturing with a BB is a dumb idea... I thought it was just because BBs can be vulnerable to DDs, but I get it now that it's difficult for a lone BB to capture an area because they have a high detection range and it's easy for the enemy to simply do token damage to effect an area-denial strategy).

Great stuff. This is why I love posing questions on here. Gets a discussion going and I find I learn so more more.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Let's see 

In higher tier there are some ships equpped with radar that has range that can cover the whole base area

So if you are capping and see a ships that have radar, closing the distance

Get ready to run away

Ships that have radar:

USS Cruisers tier 8-10

Soviet Navy Cruiser tier 8-10

USS CL Atlanta

HMS CL Belfast

USS BB Missouri

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles
50 minutes ago, Harpoon01 said:

Let's see 

In higher tier there are some ships equpped with radar that has range that can cover the whole base area

So if you are capping and see a ships that have radar, closing the distance

Get ready to run away

Ships that have radar:

USS Cruisers tier 8-10

Soviet Navy Cruiser tier 8-10

USS CL Atlanta

HMS CL Belfast

USS BB Missouri

You forgot the USS Black, not to mention USS Indianapolis :cap_hmm:

Sign in to follow this