You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FinbarAu

Cruiser Line of Choice

15 comments in this topic

[LBAS]
163 posts
3,928 battles

So, I've been working my way down the American line of ships. Not CV's as Top Down doesn't really interest me, but the rest.

I've made it to Tier 7 Battleships....Ok, sure, they move like a paraplegic snail, but they can still be fun to play. You have to think well in advance of the route you want to take, plan for cruisers trying to set you on fire, plan for Destroyers who want to fill you full of torps.... and the speed is slowly getting better. Next tier should be fun. I've earned a Bismark or when i need a BB with actual Secondaries and not just enthusiastic crewmen with handguns. No problems there. I have lots of fun....

I'm up to Tier 6 in DD's. Lots of fun. American DD's are all about the Guns and the torps matter less. You have to be cunning, you have to be quick, you have to think, not just sit back out of detection range and spam torps. Heck, I went out and bought a Leningrad and a Blys...Blis...the Polish DD with no vowels. They are great! I've got up to Tier 5 in Japanese DD's, but have more fun with the Americans. Sure, my Torps may improve in quality one day, but it's fine for now. I'm about a month away from a pair of captains with Concealment Expert, so all is good.

Which leads me to Cruisers. The St Louis was just fun. It has so many guns, it has solid defence and is just fun to play. The Phoenix? Ok, the constantly being citadel''d sucks, but I can live with it. The Omaha? It's a Phoenix with better guns and that's about it. Which leads to the Cleveland. I've heard people gripe about the Pensacola and how it's terrible to play, but the Cleveland is just painful. Seriously, at maximum range, battleships can dodge your fire. The only redeeming feature is it's ability to set things on fire easily and taking IFHE means you get less shatters and more 'hits', but less fires. So no burnination there. I should have gone for Manual Control for AA.

But that's not the point. 

The point is, I have been grinding the US cruiser line and gotten sick of it. I've been reading and watching reviews from more than 4 sources and the Muzzle Velocity is somewhat better with the Pensacola, but by Tier 10, the biggest issue still hasn't been resolved. At least for me. Sure, you can shoot over things, you hide behind islands and so on, but I am growing to dislike that style of play. I've been playing for weeks now and have come to the conclusion that the US Cruiser line is not for me.

(I'm sticking with the DD and BB lines though. So very much fun!)

Which brings me in a roundabout way to my point.

Which line should I go into. I'd like a CA that can take a hit and not be citadel'd in the first volley (Yes, I know about angling, but a Yorck citadel'd me from a 15 degree from the front angle about 20 mins ago and it's annoying me). Torpedo's are nice, but not the biggest selling point. No, My biggest three issues are 1) Speed. 2) Armour. 3) Muzzle Velocity/Range.

So what is out there that people most enjoy playing? Which of the Cruiser lines out there has the best of all three and can solve my issues and allow me back into the playing field where every match is not an exercise in frustration and a hit rate of less than 5%. The Cleveland has turned me off the US Line for good it seems.

[LNA]
1,660 posts
10,438 battles

Hindenburg fits your bill the best my man as it is the jack of all trades cruiser with mini turtle back armor, it is not fast nor maneuverable but the gun is very good. Also worth mentioning is the Moskva which is a mini battlecruiser in CA hide. However , moskva line has a lot of squishy ships in it.

In a CA you font want to be a hero anyhow , just support, leave the main stage to bb and dd

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

German high tier CA (T8+) can shrug a lot of punnishment, and bellow 10km were very hard to citadel, dissapointing AP reliability, but easy to use gun. coancelment were bad, kinda slow speed and turn like a brick

Some of the tanky cruiser would be (among their peer) : Moskva from russia - Hindenburg, Roon, Hipper from germans - Zao, Atago, Myoko for IJN - Baltimore, Des Moines for US

440 posts
3,379 battles

So.....    No one's gonna say zao? Okay she is squishy but doesn't she have that trollish armor that people love?

412 posts
9,236 battles

You may grind IJN CA, but just stop at Mogami w/ 155mm guns and get Inertia fuse HE (IFHE). Ibuki is mediocre or simply Mogami 203mm with crappier matchmaking and heal. Also don't play the Zao to ensure world peace.

USN CAs are pretty solid, tho since you are radar boat (T8-T10 and Atlanta) you might get targeted a lot. Overall they are all good ship and great when in a division.

RN CLs are hard, requires quite high skill ceiling. But when you know how to do it, imo they're great. Also best choice of ship when in a division. One thing to do, free xp the Weymouth up to Leander. The T2-T5 RN CLs are the weakest CL in game I guess.

No comment on RU CAs and KM CAs since I haven't grind them up to T6.

[LYNMF]
463 posts
10,390 battles

if cleveland turned you off, then stop playing cruisers altogether. 

all cruiser lines need you to suffer before you can get to the line's "good ships", fiji in RN, myoko in IJN, DM for US

just play BB for tankiness or Dd for stealth or CV for wrecking other people's day (good- you'll wreck enemy team, bad-you'll wreck your own team) 

98 posts
230 battles

I don't friggin understand why my Langley with upgraded fighter skillz can lose without killing a single of its friggin fighters, if tier IV CV is balanced honestly I might as well play coop as it's much more enjoyable even though grinding takes forever, btw could some random unicum div up with me some time in the future becuase I can't carry

318 posts
6,866 battles

The RN Leander was a huge upgrade from the RN Emerald - thats just a dire ship to play, and pretty much almost stopped me from playing that line entirely, it's struggle bus of the Royal Navy line. Now I'm really enjoying the RN Fiji, its a fantastic ship. But as we all know the RN are paper thin, so making use of smoke, islands and concealment is a must as these ships wont last in the open with a full broadside hit.

My understanding that the Zao has really good armor and the Hindenberg can roll shots pretty well, but i really have little interest in IJN lines entirely, and only Battleship interest for the Germans. 

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

And here i am waiting for my money saving to skip Ibuki and get Zao

Jajaja

I had it enough for Them (tier 10 ships) to rekt my ships

[LNA]
1,660 posts
10,438 battles
8 hours ago, Kamanah said:

The RN Leander was a huge upgrade from the RN Emerald - thats just a dire ship to play, and pretty much almost stopped me from playing that line entirely, it's struggle bus of the Royal Navy line. Now I'm really enjoying the RN Fiji, its a fantastic ship. But as we all know the RN are paper thin, so making use of smoke, islands and concealment is a must as these ships wont last in the open with a full broadside hit.

My understanding that the Zao has really good armor and the Hindenberg can roll shots pretty well, but i really have little interest in IJN lines entirely, and only Battleship interest for the Germans. 

You got it wrong , Zao armour are trolly ,  but by no means good , it can save you occasionally from unwanted citadel pen , but relying on it everytime you get shot is a fatal mistake , esp against BB and high pen cruisers.

Hindenburg armor really shine when at CQC range  and is generally reliable when slightly angled against other CA/CL , still amounts to nothing against BB. It has small citadel and hard to hit ,but not hard to pen.

The most surefire armour profile is that of Moskva , who when bow on is practically a small BB. The side are atrocious , but the front is so good that you can actually rely on it  to effectively save yourself if you know what you are doing.

Emerald is a big DD , not a CL despite the designation , it has 4x3 torp set that many dd are envious to have :Smile_veryhappy:.

Henry IV also have special armour in that it has so thin a layer of them that shells will mostly overpen if you broadside ( but those that citadels are painful though )

Super Tester
813 posts
3,912 battles
On 6/10/2017 at 4:52 PM, FinbarAu said:

Which leads me to Cruisers. The St Louis was just fun. It has so many guns, it has solid defence and is just fun to play. The Phoenix? Ok, the constantly being citadel''d sucks, but I can live with it. The Omaha? It's a Phoenix with better guns and that's about it. Which leads to the Cleveland. I've heard people gripe about the Pensacola and how it's terrible to play, but the Cleveland is just painful. Seriously, at maximum range, battleships can dodge your fire. The only redeeming feature is it's ability to set things on fire easily and taking IFHE means you get less shatters and more 'hits', but less fires. So no burnination there. I should have gone for Manual Control for AA.

IFHE is not worth it if you are moving the captain to the Higher tier USN CA.

But that's not the point. 

The point is, I have been grinding the US cruiser line and gotten sick of it. I've been reading and watching reviews from more than 4 sources and the Muzzle Velocity is somewhat better with the Pensacola, but by Tier 10, the biggest issue still hasn't been resolved. At least for me. Sure, you can shoot over things, you hide behind islands and so on, but I am growing to dislike that style of play. I've been playing for weeks now and have come to the conclusion that the US Cruiser line is not for me.

Try and practice your leading in Co-Op.

Which line should I go into. I'd like a CA that can take a hit and not be citadel'd in the first volley (Yes, I know about angling, but a Yorck citadel'd me from a 15 degree from the front angle about 20 mins ago and it's annoying me). Torpedo's are nice, but not the biggest selling point. No, My biggest three issues are 1) Speed. 2) Armour. 3) Muzzle Velocity/Range.

What you want seems to be the IJN line or the RU line. But beware as no cruiser line offers protection to magically ward off BB citadels. The only thing that does is good situational awareness and quick and intelligent maneuvering.

Edited by karrablaster123
Removed junk

Super Tester
813 posts
3,912 battles
8 hours ago, limjf04 said:

I don't friggin understand why my Langley with upgraded fighter skillz can lose without killing a single of its friggin fighters, if tier IV CV is balanced honestly I might as well play coop as it's much more enjoyable even though grinding takes forever, btw could some random unicum div up with me some time in the future becuase I can't carry

Please create a separate thread for this as it is in no way relevant to the current thread.