Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SZYZWY

CV Tidbit: Use your Autodrops!

5 comments in this topic

783 posts
4,829 battles

Now that I got that clickbait title out of the way, I really do mean to use your autodrops. Not literally click AND autodrop your bombs, but to use it for information purposes. Of course autodropping your drops are still useful when you want to drop your bombs as a CV as you're about to die, but the use of the autodrop targeting will help in manual dropping a lot. Even though Manual dropping > Auto dropping all day, anyday.

First of all, the TB autodrop targeting does predict the enemy ship's future location as you drop IF the target stays its course and speed the whole time, it makes for a great guide to make perfect drops.

[Image]
http://i.imgur.com/YKqEwYk.jpg
An example of this here.
The supposed lines show where it should be at the time your planes SHOULD be dropping already. (Targeting turning yellow and such in the same point in time)
(Don't actually click to autodrop, it's only clicked here for emphasis, it's less emphasized usually, quite shaded. Just hover your mouse as you have the TB clicked onto the target to see the targeting)

Another use for the autodrop targeting prediction is knowing ship behaviors. By just hovering your mouse over the target, you can observe if the ship is speeding up, slowing down, turning port, turning starboard, reversing faster, going full stop all the while setting up your planes. Of course people can 'observe' this on the target ship's model without using the autodrop targeting prediction, but it's way harder and unless you're so used to that, it isn't as accurate. Observing target behavior with the autodrop reticle will allow you to make the most important adjustments for your manual drop at the last second. Knowing when the supposed stationary target you're gonna drop on is gonna speed up or slow down will make or break extra 2 torp hits you may need. It will also let you know when the target is using speed control, changing speeds a lot. Time and time again I've seen CVs miss their drop because of the conventional assumption that a ship is at full speed, something the targeting prediction will let you know estimatingly.

An advanced use for the autodrop targeting prediction is actually CATCHING wiggling DDs with their rudder neutral. A wiggling DD is one of the hardest things to drop on, other than using more than one TB squadron and luck, the only way to hit them with one TB is to correctly predict their movement(way harder) OR to catch their rudder neutral. Carefully watching the targeting prediction will allow you to do either. In an ideal scenario that your planes are in the perfect position, let's assume that a DD is wiggling and is now full to port. Watching the targeting system of the autodrop, you can see the corresponding change of it as the DD does go turn to port. But once the DD goes for the wiggle, you will see the targeting show you a slow down on turning to port. With DD rudder shifts, I'd assume the CV player HAS a 6s window to make his drop while the DD is swinging his rudder to the other direction, including the run time for the planes to drop their payload. Getting it right ideally will net you a great drop towards a DD that is at that moment in time have its rudder in neutral, making it hardest to dodge. [Image: http://i.imgur.com/fTQ46MA.jpg] Requires proper positioning and really focusing on the target, which kind of means less micro on other planes so bear that in mind.
Wish I could have a video or gif for this but I have a potato computer and whatnot so sorry about that. But this is what I use to be successful with DD drops without using multiple TB squadrons to commit.

So to conclude. CV players, don't forget your autodrops. Have a good day!

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,280 battles

Just like how you should use the indicator for torpedo launches. Except the DD part, back when T4 and T5 CVs still had manual drops, I've always only use DB on DDs, never TBs. Most of the time, using a fighter squadron and spamming F3 works well enough

1,105 posts

hey, the Auto drop can be usefull too for dive bomber targeting. you auto the DB + Shift for getting a good position before use manual in the last second. 

also for TB:

1. for BB always drop the torpedo from the behind, so it will it all torpedo.

2. for DD drop 1 torpedo from the front side and then crossin it, so DD cannt dodge it no matter what.

3. another trick for DD is, when the DD sail straight. you drop it from behind straight (obviously wont hit the DD) but it will force the DD to sai straight and harder for DD to dodge another drop from side.

414 posts
9,265 battles

Fue, I'm using them mainly just to mark my drop target in case I have to use the FTs :Smile-_tongue:

I didn't think it has other purpose besides that. Great job!

Sign in to follow this