You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BravaZulu296

So now scouting is even worse for CVs

20 comments in this topic

346 posts

Patch Notes:

Aircraft

There has been an on-going issue where the ships with minor detectability would be spotted by aircraft even though the aircraft itself was out if sight. This was caused by a single plane having a shorter detectability range than an entire squadron. We came to a decision that this mechanics was excessive and now all aircraft (whether carrier squadrons, catapult-lunched fighters or spotting aircraft) will have the same detectability range. Aside from that, aircraft detectability range was increased from 5 to 8 km (from sea) and from 4.5 to 7 km (from air).

• We increased the standard detectability range for aircraft from 5 to 8 km (from sea) and from 4.5 to 7 km (from air).

Why did they decide to nerf CV?!?

I thought they said they wanted to make CV gameplay better did they not! now whats the point of scouting, better of striking and then running away because keeping planes over an enemy ship means you'll lose them to enemy CV that has AS (like saipan) if you are Zuiho, Ranger, Lexington (stock or strike) or Hiryu (if the enemy is saipan) and reserves are limited.

203 posts
11,788 battles

This change is for the best.

Its so cheap and annoying for random planes to be coming out of nowhere because you can't see them until they got to 5 kms from you.

• Destroyers trying to get close to target as much as possible to maximize their chance of hitting and then suddenly those little bugger shows up detecting it and its package.
  • Cruisers trying to use island as cover using arc to advantage and then suddenly those little bugger shows up detecting your ship and you can't do anything even with full AA build.

Both of these situation I mention here is when you wanted to stay conceal without firing your guns.

If planes happens to come close enough to spots the ship then that ship suppose to be able to use their Anti Air armaments to shoot them down.

This change will not impact much on CV gameplay in terms of scouting since you're still going to spot the ships you wanted to lit for your team.

Your planes are still faster than ships and they're flying in a "Squadron" unlike those Catapult Fighter/Spotter Plane.

Yes those "little bugger" I mention are mainly Catapult Fighter/Spotter Plane NOT Carrier born aircraft.

Edit:
My point here being Planes are probably highest threat to the surface units because they can keep surface units spotted for the whole game or outright kill them.
For them to be able to spot you inside your AA range just doesn't sound right. You should atleast be able to see where they are.

Edited by MikuChrome

43 posts
11,696 battles

This also lessens the possibility of carrier sniping. I play a lot of CV too and this is a nice change imo.

1,126 posts

good, since nothing can runaway from plane, it's reasonable to made them be seen form afar so ship that rely on stealth can turn away and change plan in time.

8 km? not enough! make it 10!!:Smile_teethhappy:

Video Contributor
2,265 posts
10,789 battles
  • We increased the standard detectability range for aircraft from 5 to 8 km (from sea) and from 4.5 to 7 km (from air).

well that changed is very good

1 plane spot Minotaur in close range Minotaur detected but Minotaur cannot find 1 plane(if that plane comes closer will detected)

346 posts

Problem is not the surface ships but rather balance amongst CVs, Some CVs can't get AS  for most games (i.e zuiho, ranger(1/1/1 and 0/1/3) lexington (1/1/1 and 0/1/3) e.t.c... ) so in a very miserable game, a CV would want to conceal his planes from the enemy (like saipan) so that he does not lose the whole squad, this nerf means that won't happen and now ships like Saipan will become more OP because they enemy CV can't conceal his planes due to a concealment twice as high as before, either that or there would be no point in scouting for some players because in some cases the risk out weigh the gains (ie scout - help team / no scout - planes can be used to help self get more XP, keep planes away from enemy CV who has AS so that rearm time is lower (especially for USN CV who have 2 minute rearm time) ) .

1,346 posts
8,860 battles

Not sure why they had to nerf the CV planes. 

Nerfing the catapult planes I can understand but carrier planes?

Perhaps it is to make CV-sniping more difficult?

84 posts
4,438 battles

I think it won't affect CV gameplay that much because

This was caused by a single plane having a shorter detectability range than an entire squadron

I can't change the source of the quote but if you're wondering where it came from it's coming from the patch note

It can be implied that the single plane will get detected at the same range as the entire squadron. 

So you won't be having those "Full AA Build Atlanta spotted by plane but can't do anything about it" moment anymore just like miku said

and I think it's good for the game especially for the guy who need to be hidden most of the time.

1,011 posts
7,482 battles
On 6/7/2017 at 0:06 PM, MikuChrome said:

ention are mainly Catapult Fighter/Spotter Plane NOT Carrier born aircraft.

Edit:
My point here being Planes are probably highest threat to the surface units because they can keep surface units spotted for the whole game or outright kill them.
For them to be able to spot you inside your AA range just doesn't sound right. You should atleast be able to see where they are.

If you are annoyed by a plane keeping you spotted, move close to ship with strong AA on your team, like a Cleveland, Atlanta or NC. Can even ask those ships to come and assist you.

A ship is a lot bigger than a plane, so a plane spotting a ship when the ship cannot spot the plane, that’s fairly realistic.

Ship AA is meant to defend a ship against air attacks, not shoot down any plane in spotting range. Controlling the airspace would be a job for the carrier on your team. If you cannot shoot down planes that spot you, that’s fairly realistic. A smart pilot stays out of your AA range and waits until his ships deal with you.

With the introduction of catapult or carrier planes, the situation changed for all navies of the world. This is reflected in the game.

346 posts
14 hours ago, Onlinegamer said:

well that changed is very good

1 plane spot Minotaur in close range Minotaur detected but Minotaur cannot find 1 plane(if that plane comes closer will detected)

See it like this - 1 minotaur can see plane that is 8 km away, Plane cannot see minotaur in smoke, squad is spotted by enemy CV and shot down, Imagine that CV that lost a squadron was USN, 2 minute rearm time, chat abuse from players wondering why one USN squad (6-7 planes) was shot down by 2 IJN squad (8-10 planes). If a planes get larger detection radius, it can be found and shot down more easily, more chat abuse, more conservative play , more chat abuse and so on and so forth

181 posts
7,571 battles
5 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

A ship is a lot bigger than a plane, so a plane spotting a ship when the ship cannot spot the plane, that’s fairly realistic.

That's correct BUT the problem we're having in the past was that planes CAN actually spot ships while they're behind islands while ships CAN'T spot them back (realistic on the ship's side but not on the plane side). This has been causing problem with AA cruisers (that has matching AA bubble radius with their air detectability) not being able to shoot them down as it should be.

Edited by 8knots

381 posts
9,957 battles

I don't see why we should complain about this change. Prior to this, planes can blink in and out of your sight if you shoot them down too fast. The detectability of an aircraft squadron is based on the number of remaining planes in that squad - a 5-plane squad will be detected at 8km but 1-plane squad is only detected at 5km. Now they are standardized to 8km regardless of squad size.

Basically it solved the illogical issue when my Baltimore with 7,2km can shoot down 4/5 of a squad but can't shoot down the last one due to lowered detectability and get permanently detected by that only surviving plane. The negative effect can only be seen if you have the habit of sending a full squad to a full AA ship so he can shoot down most of your squad and then use the last plane to spot him afterwards - which I strongly believe is not how good CV players usually do.

[AUSNZ]
59 posts
11,679 battles

How does this even affect CV's??? they all use squadrons, not single planes.  Aren't the single planes detectability now matching what CV's already had?  I didnt look up the numbers but the description certainly says this.

1,346 posts
8,860 battles
2 hours ago, MrPlow said:

How does this even affect CV's??? they all use squadrons, not single planes.  Aren't the single planes detectability now matching what CV's already had?  I didnt look up the numbers but the description certainly says this.

Read it again. In addition to standardising catapult plane detectability to match carrier based ones, aircraft detectability has been raised across the board, regardless of whether it is catapult or carrier launched.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

because having a plane following you around in your AA speced RNCL is so fun when you cant spot planes and shoot them down while the enemy team's BBs rain hell on you even though your AA range is higher then your surface spotting range

[AUSNZ]
59 posts
11,679 battles
On 08/06/2017 at 9:39 PM, Thyaliad said:

Read it again. In addition to standardising catapult plane detectability to match carrier based ones, aircraft detectability has been raised across the board, regardless of whether it is catapult or carrier launched.

Ooh sorry totally missed that point.  I get it now.

[LNA]
1,665 posts
10,469 battles
8 hours ago, limjf04 said:

CV can be depressing

Give CV their airborne early warning radar so that with one button they will see all aircrafts on the map regardless of visions. There problem solved :cap_cool: