Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FishyPower

How the hell do I Sims

19 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,276 battles

The shit arc of the USS Sims is really giving me a headache. When trying to get close to the enemy, the enemy is often able to whittle me down first. Trying to cap is near suicidal if there is any DD trying to contest as my team would simply ignore that DD while all of a sudden I seem to the be the one and only ship the enemy can fire at.

Please teach me how to USS Sims, the base EXP bonus is awesome so mediocre battles still reap good results, but damn does the USS Sims kill my stats

520 posts
11,127 battles

The Sims is the most maneuverable US DD.  Its gun power is pretty much like your Nicholas, so treat it as such.  if youre getting spotted most of the time, perhaps you need to get your captains concealment expert up, to bring down Sims concealment to 6.6kms. 

the Slow torps are good "Zoning" torps... for area denial.. but your bread and butter will be your high rof guns.  Though you need to get used to the arcs... like your Nicholas

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,276 battles

Got a 14 point captain on my Sims, planning to reset the IFHE to DE (Had it cause Atlanta-IFHE OP). It already has CE, but 2 of the problems I face in the Sims is

1. I don't know how to dodge shots. As in I know I need to turn and maybe change my speed while rushing up to the enemy DD, but how exactly to turn feels really weird when compared to my Anshan and the Minekaze in the "Good old days".

2. Landing shots. I really don't know how to land shots against a maneuvering DD. Spamming shells works, but somehow the "DD Killer" gets killed first when I play it.

173 posts
5,332 battles

Got a 14 point captain on my Sims, planning to reset the IFHE to DE (Had it cause Atlanta-IFHE OP). It already has CE, but 2 of the problems I face in the Sims is

1. I don't know how to dodge shots. As in I know I need to turn and maybe change my speed while rushing up to the enemy DD, but how exactly to turn feels really weird when compared to my Anshan and the Minekaze in the "Good old days".

2. Landing shots. I really don't know how to land shots against a maneuvering DD. Spamming shells works, but somehow the "DD Killer" gets killed first when I play it.

1. Instead of holding AD keys to turn, just tap tap tap to wiggle. Avoid committing to a turn until you get back to concealment.

2. Do you chain-fire? Fire full salvos instead. Easier to observe the fall of shots and adjust.

Be patient. Know WHEN to fire and when not.

17 posts
4,104 battles

The Sims is the most maneuverable US DD.  Its gun power is pretty much like your Nicholas, so treat it as such.  if youre getting spotted most of the time, perhaps you need to get your captains concealment expert up, to bring down Sims concealment to 6.6kms. 

Not really.

It has the same guns as the Fletcher, just one less, making it very strong gun wise.

It is a very strong knife fighter, but you shouldn't open fire until you are spotted unless you in a very advantageous position. When you're knife fighting in a USN DD the main thing is to get as close as possible without being detected before firing to negate the rainbow arcs. Once you are free from the DDs, move back a bit, smoke up and fire on the BBs where the arcs aren't so important. 

When you head to a cap, consider whether you have the support to fight if you're spotted, look at what friendly ships as well as enemy ships are in the vicinity.. If you don't wait until you do or try a different cap. 

When you are spotted, use the maneuverability to dodge, duck and weave.

In the meantime, lay those sea mines and hope for some hits.

520 posts
11,127 battles

Not really.

It has the same guns as the Fletcher, just one less, making it very strong gun wise.

Just giving a point of reference to what the OP has/had in his port:)  he yet has to reach tier 9 Fletcher...but yes, Sims Is like a Benson C hull and Fletcher Combined.   I love mine to bits

Edited by kultabashi

520 posts
11,127 battles

The arcs really takes some getting used to... But once youre used to them, you will hit spot on.

MeloMelonSoda can help you tame the sims:)

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

The shit arc of the USS Sims is really giving me a headache. When trying to get close to the enemy, the enemy is often able to whittle me down first. Trying to cap is near suicidal if there is any DD trying to contest as my team would simply ignore that DD while all of a sudden I seem to the be the one and only ship the enemy can fire at.

Please teach me how to USS Sims, the base EXP bonus is awesome so mediocre battles still reap good results, but damn does the USS Sims kill my stats

lkg3kRT.png

Why is it opposite to me???

Because I'm pretty familiar with Farragut and Mahan playstyle.. first play those 2 then get to sims.. 

I don't know how to dodge shots.

Never try to shoot when you are against 2-3 enemies... iirc sims has 2.7 secs of rudder shift time without the rudder module so use WASD and sims has 38 knots of speed which goes upto 40knots with sierra mike flag... use your agility, if you don't even turn then even an NC can shoot you.. keep moving around..

Landing shots. I really don't know how to land shots against a maneuvering DD. Spamming shells works, but somehow the "DD Killer" gets killed first when I play it.

First of all you can go against any IJN DD(leaving Akizuki/Yugumo out of it) and against a farragut/mahan but never against a benson/fletcher and Russian DDs because they are too strong.. Get Survivability Expert before you even think of brawling anything..

And Torpedoes I always use the long range torpedoes even tho they are slower but they reload fast enough so you can make up if the torpedoes miss...

Edited by Aaditya_AJ

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,276 battles

Just had a match in the Sims

2 Assist in Capture of Base 2 Defence 2 Kills and 27k damage. Netted me 1.8k raw EXP and top of the team. Personally I feel it is pretty good, but any numbers that you guys can give for a "Good Match"?

Super Tester
7,571 posts
8,001 battles

Sims is the easiest DD in the whole game. You can do 360 turn between us CV drops. :D

Go in cap, smoke up, care for uncoming torps, don't stay braodside, destroy enemy DDs, easy wins.

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,276 battles

Sims is the easiest DD in the whole game. You can do 360 turn between us CV drops. :D

Go in cap, smoke up, care for uncoming torps, don't stay braodside, destroy enemy DDs, easy wins.

:I The shell arcs are killing me though ;-; My Anshan's lazer cannons feels so much better, but the EXP co-eff of the Sims is OP for crew training
Edited by FishyPower

Super Tester
7,571 posts
8,001 battles

:I The shell arcs are killing me though ;-; My Anshan's lazer cannons feels so much better, but the EXP co-eff of the Sims is OP for crew training

Yes, it takes a little time to get used to. But even when you get used to it, Sims is not good for farming damage. You are effective in DD knife fight, flashing out people out of smoke and capping. 

Also you can equip DFAA, so you are not reliant on CVs to help you out. Remember, the closer you get the stronger you are, but account for incoming torpedoes, and don't bother about using your 48 kts torps in a brawl unless its point blank.

Also, do not rush BBs to torp them unless they are low, you wont kill them. They will destroy you.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,276 battles

Yes, it takes a little time to get used to. But even when you get used to it, Sims is not good for farming damage. You are effective in DD knife fight, flashing out people out of smoke and capping. 

Also you can equip DFAA, so you are not reliant on CVs to help you out. Remember, the closer you get the stronger you are, but account for incoming torpedoes, and don't bother about using your 48 kts torps in a brawl unless its point blank.

Also, do not rush BBs to torp them unless they are low, you wont kill them. They will destroy you.

The current trick I'm using for DD combat is a mixture of the tips I've found and some experience

1. Torp first and then chase after the torps preferably with speed boost on.

2. Tap A and D randomly while occasionally slowing speed to half to throw off the enemy's aim.

3. Fire off other spread to distract enemy

I've been lucky so far with enemy torpedoes cause I can more or less anticipate the enemies' torps and turn into them while rapidly dropping speed. My only fear is that they stagger their torp drops, but so far, the enemy seems to like spamming all in one go. Any tip to avoid torp if enemy drops one spread to slow you down and uses another to nail you while you are at slow speed?

Super Tester
7,571 posts
8,001 battles

At close quarter, DDs will always torp ahead of you if you are approaching them, so you know, turning towards them will usually either completely dodge the salvo, or cut through between them, but there are no guarantee for faster torps. Ideally in a sims, your optimal range is like 6 km, you don't want to get much closer than that unless you have trouble hitting target at 6 km. Anything DD within 6 km of sims should already start melting down. Including blyskawica.

Also, do not waste time targetting torps. Your torps are mostly for BBs sailing straight or DDs / RN CLs camping in smoke. Its a great tool for zoming. Probably the most stealthy torps in the game. Keep them at hand till you see good opportunity as otherwise those torps have literally no use.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,276 battles

At close quarter, DDs will always torp ahead of you if you are approaching them, so you know, turning towards them will usually either completely dodge the salvo, or cut through between them, but there are no guarantee for faster torps. Ideally in a sims, your optimal range is like 6 km, you don't want to get much closer than that unless you have trouble hitting target at 6 km. Anything DD within 6 km of sims should already start melting down. Including blyskawica.

Also, do not waste time targetting torps. Your torps are mostly for BBs sailing straight or DDs / RN CLs camping in smoke. Its a great tool for zoming. Probably the most stealthy torps in the game. Keep them at hand till you see good opportunity as otherwise those torps have literally no use.

Somehow I can only land shots reliably when I'm about 4km away. 6km is still really iffy for me

Super Tester
7,571 posts
8,001 battles
11 hours ago, FishyPower said:

Somehow I can only land shots reliably when I'm about 4km away. 6km is still really iffy for me

Well, if you keep practicing, soon you will be able to land shells on DDs 10 km away.

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,276 battles
14 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Well, if you keep practicing, soon you will be able to land shells on DDs 10 km away.

The good thing about the Sims is the volume of fire, missing one salvo but your next salvo would probably hit him

Sign in to follow this