You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Admiralthomas

German DD.

9 comments in this topic

199 posts
18,023 battles
Been watching some youtube players using German DD . Tier 9 to be exact . He uses HE round from start to finish . I thought German AP round is more deadly but why he is not using it ? He is shooting from smoke, therefore enough distance for his AP to penetrate . I am thinking of get German DD since they have been buffed .

[MEGA]
4,560 posts
17,542 battles

it's called having a brain and using it, you should try that sometimes

He is shooting from smoke, therefore enough distance for his AP to penetrate

shooting from smoke, you do realize that KM DDs have 11km+ range at high tiers? DD AP tend to noneffective above 7.5km and thats ONLY if a ship is fully broadsided, HE is better overall

520 posts
11,123 battles

German AP is pretty devastating specially when aiming for the superstructure.    Knowing when to switch from HE to AP and back is the key.

199 posts
18,023 battles

shooting from smoke, you do realize that KM DDs have 11km+ range at high tiers? DD AP tend to noneffective above 7.5km and thats ONLY if a ship is fully broadsided, HE is better overall

​Thank you for your refreshing information . So honorable of you to teach me when I am your opponent . I will use your teaching in the game .

Beta Tester
603 posts
6,754 battles

Wow, where did that response come from?  It was a perfectly reasonable question by the OP.

Been watching some youtube players using German DD . Tier 9 to be exact . He uses HE round from start to finish . I thought German AP round is more deadly but why he is not using it ? He is shooting from smoke, therefore enough distance for his AP to penetrate . I am thinking of get German DD since they have been buffed .

You won't do badly using HE only in your KM DD.  The damage is actually quite reasonable, and it's okay at setting fires for a DD.  However the difference between an average KM DD captain and a good one is knowing when to use AP, and where to aim when you use it.

BB's sub-10km and CA's, use AP when they are broadside or very close to it, aim at the base of the superstructure.  DD's, depends on the DD, if it's quite a thick DD (Gearing, Groz, Khaba etc), you can just plink away broadside (aim at the base of the bridge) up to about 30-40°, for most small DD's like IJN DD's, you're probably better off using HE, but you can often pen them with AP when they are in the 30-45° range.

199 posts
18,023 battles

Wow, where did that response come from?  It was a perfectly reasonable question by the OP.

You won't do badly using HE only in your KM DD.  The damage is actually quite reasonable, and it's okay at setting fires for a DD.  However the difference between an average KM DD captain and a good one is knowing when to use AP, and where to aim when you use it.

BB's sub-10km and CA's, use AP when they are broadside or very close to it, aim at the base of the superstructure.  DD's, depends on the DD, if it's quite a thick DD (Gearing, Groz, Khaba etc), you can just plink away broadside (aim at the base of the bridge) up to about 30-40°, for most small DD's like IJN DD's, you're probably better off using HE, but you can often pen them with AP when they are in the 30-45° range.

​Don't worry about our toxic conversation . We have been like this for a long time . I am use to it . Tomorrow I might ask about Mr drakon's mother and maybe he will concern my mental health . Just friendly conversation between two opponents .  
Edited by Admiralthomas

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Too many discussions being taken off topic with borderline personal attacks recently.

Stick to the topic and leave the personal stuff for elsewhere folks.

~dead_man_walking