cazydave

Newbie questions

23 comments in this topic

10 posts
3,980 battles

What key is the command for "Provide cover fire for ..." and "Capture that area" ? Thanks

point your cursor to target and press F3

Super Tester
1,310 posts

Thanks

u can also point it to ur self..

right click ur mouse and hold it to go into free camera mode.

in free camera mode point ur mouse into ur ships. press F3.

tough F7 will do this just fine for ur self.

F3 can be used to point at :

• allies/ur self : asking to provide support to said target.
  • enemy : asking to provide focus fire to said target
  • cap zone : asking to cap/defend to said zone.

3 posts
406 battles

u can also point it to ur self..

right click ur mouse and hold it to go into free camera mode.

in free camera mode point ur mouse into ur ships. press F3.

tough F7 will do this just fine for ur self.

F3 can be used to point at :

• allies/ur self : asking to provide support to said target.
  • enemy : asking to provide focus fire to said target
  • cap zone : asking to cap/defend to said zone.

Didn't know that, thanks very much

10 posts
62 battles

I have only done 8 Battles so far in the HMS Black Swam which I have found excellent in the first three levels. I'm close to level four now. The only thing I have found is I can't seem to do a few things shown in the videos.

I can't zoom by using shift as they mentioned in the video. Also the Black Swan seems to only have AP shells. Is there a way of getting He shells as well? I must be in a very easy part of the game as I think I'm doing far better than

I should be. However, that Black Swans guns fire real fast which has allowed me to get in close and hammer the enemy ship. I had fun in one mission where I put myself between two small islands (the ship just fitted) and took out a Cruiser that was battling my guys.

Edited by seacondor

183 posts
3,790 battles
9 minutes ago, seacondor said:

I can't zoom by using shift as they mentioned in the video.

Hmm. That's weird. All ships except CVs should be able to use the binoculars. You could check your controls, maybe something's wrong.

Also the Black Swan seems to only have AP shells. Is there a way of getting He shells as well? I must be in a very easy part of the game as I think I'm doing far better than I should be.

The Royal Navy cruisers only have access to AP shells. This is their gimmick. They have unique AP shells that easily penetrate stuff, as a consequence of their high rate of fire, they can't set fires the traditional way.

me to get in close and hammer the enemy ship.

That tactic wouldn't work outside of Tier 1 and 2 and bots. You would get focus fired before you could get close. You should instead be at the optimal range away from your enemies and angle optimally to make yourself a hard target.

Note: optimal range varies per ship

Edited by DonnerSushi

10 posts
62 battles

Thanks for the advice. I did feel it was all too easy. Is there an area where you can practise gunnery etc or is the co-op game the place. I really don't like the way I'm being moved up the levels before I'm ready. Mine you I did lash out and Buy the Emden last night. I did this mainly because I'm going to build her in 1/350 soon. They have made an excellent job of the model. I had one good battle in it. All close quarter's again. 

One question. How do you pop smoke? I can't seem to find that anywhere. I can see myself being around along time with this game.

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles
9 hours ago, seacondor said:

Thanks for the advice. I did feel it was all too easy. Is there an area where you can practise gunnery etc or is the co-op game the place. I really don't like the way I'm being moved up the levels before I'm ready. Mine you I did lash out and Buy the Emden last night. I did this mainly because I'm going to build her in 1/350 soon. They have made an excellent job of the model. I had one good battle in it. All close quarter's again. 

One question. How do you pop smoke? I can't seem to find that anywhere. I can see myself being around along time with this game.

Not all ships can pop smoke. This is exclusive to destroyers and some cruisers. If you don't see a smoke consumable in your ship, then you can't pop smoke. But you can always take shelter in allied smoke. People won't be able to detect you unless they are within 2 km (or you are detected by other means, don't worry about that for now).

For practice, ya, Co-Op and Scenario are the modes. Only T5-T6 ships are allowed in Scenarios, but in co-op you can use anything. Random battles will get you up the line faster. But going up faster may not be the best idea for starters.

About low tier premiums, I would suggest against buying them because WG hosts missions every now and then where these ships are given free as rewards. But I think if you really love a ship, nothing is stopping you. :) Btw, once you build the model, don't forget to share with us. 

10 posts
62 battles

I will post Emden once it is done. I have had a few good and bad Battles in her. At the moment I'm trying to stay out of the main close quarter's part of the battle so I can practise my long range gunnery. I have found that isn't as easy as it sounds. The last battle I had two ships come after me, so ended up close quarter's again. Still they ended up on my kill score that time and I managed to capture a base area just before victory.

Edited by seacondor

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles
1 hour ago, seacondor said:

Sounds like you are doing great. Just remember this, every battle, there are times when you need to do close fights, and you need to fight from range. Knowing what to do when will only come to you through experience. Just one note here, use the terrain to your advantage. They can be used to cover one side of your's, or even to break the line of sight from enemy. Also, when you approach, make sure enemy is on only one side of your ship. If you find that enemy is on your both side, it generally means you are in a dire situation.

Once you get used to your shooting skill, next thing would be to play around with your concealment range.

This game has a lot of depth in terms of mechanics, but you will get there even before you know it.

If you have free time to YouTube, I recommend watching the captain's academy series of iChaseGaming. Some of those are outdated, but still useful.

Edited by icy_phoenix

10 posts
62 battles

I have been watching those videos. Been very entertaining. One thing I haven't been able to pickup is how one gets a captain on board. I even bought Warspite just to see if I could get a captain. As soon as he showed he disappeared never to be seen again. I don't intend using Warspite for a while until I can iron out some of my problems with gunnery. I also got Perth just because it was an Aussie ship. Had a go with that and survived against the bots. However, I will probably keep it is port for a while until I feel I deserve it. I tried to load Weymouth the other day and researched it and paid credits for it, but it hasn't shown up. It is only a tier II ship. What would have happened to that? 

By they way, thanks for the help I really appreciate the time taken.  

Edited by seacondor

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles

You will unlock captains after you reach certain level of service record. You have to look it up though cause I forgot the exact level required. It is a lame idea, but it is what it is.

You get easier match making for your first 100 random battles I believe. Which means against other new players. After that it's free ground.

You must see the ship in port. Make sure you don't have any filters on to only show specific ships. Also make sure you actually have free slot to buy the ship. If you buy a ship but it doesn't arrive at your portion, then it's a bug.

10 posts
62 battles

I got my Captain today and have moved to level seven. I really feel I'm moving up the levels far to quickly. I'm still mainly using my Black Swan most of the time. I had my best battle yet this afternoon. Basically l saved the day for our team. I got two kills in the first half of the battle on one side of the map while the rest of the team was getting wiped out on the other. By the time I got there I was the last one on my team standing. To my surprise I was able to take the last three enemy ships out and won the day for the guys that put the hard work in. I sunk five ships of which three had good health when I engaged them. I have to say I really like using the Black Swan. Well now I'm off to train my new Captain.

Edited by seacondor

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles

@seacondor, that is not tier, that is called service record level. It is good that you are moving up the service record levels faster. You get to unlock new stuffs, and many mission will require a better service record.

By tier, we mean your highest ship's tier. It's great that you already got a kraken at tier 1, it's not an easy achievement. I would suggest you to unlock up to tier 5. Many missions (battles are not missions) (missions are the tasks that give you rewards upon completion) require having a tier 4 or higher and you can do in Co op as well for most times. After unlocking tier 5, you need to slow down a bit. Same thing after unlocking tier 8. These are the transition tiers to different game meta.

Just to clear out some confusion.

10 posts
62 battles

Thanks Icy,

I thought something was up with that level thing I was seeing. It makes sense now. I miss the written manuals of the old games which help you understand how things worked before you start.

I must be missing some sort of online manual for this one. Still I did learn something the last battle. Finally worked out what the numbers on the sight means. ( I must be a real dummy not to have worked out that one by now....) 

Now I can think about larger ships. I unlocked a German torpedo boat to practise torpedoes. Every time I watched the videos on it they always said watch out where you fire them for friendlies. Of cause I said to myself I will always do that.

Stupid me sent some torpedoes into a channel full of enemy ships just as one of my ships moved into it. I hit one of the enemy and the friendly shortly later. By the way I'm on level 8 now thanks to my trusty Black Swan. :-) 

I went back over the old posts and corrected the terminology.

Edited by seacondor

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles

Just a heads up on UK CLs if you decide to go up the line.

Tier 2- Tier 4 are not that good. It is not easy to deal damage with only AP after tier 1.

Tier 5 has smoke generator, which is good for surviving, but yet, she lacks offensive power.

Leander is where it starts! From Leander (T6) and UP, UK CLs are fantastic. They can murder absolutely everything with little effort if played correctly. Have smoke, massive heal, torpedoes, superb AA. Only problem is, you wont last 2 salvo from a BB.

If you want to go up the destroyer line, I would highly recommend going through the USN DD lines first. Other DDs are not as easy, they have lot many aspects that you need to learn. USN DDs are by far the most friendly line to start destroyer plays.

10 posts
62 battles

Thanks for your help Icy. I have been trying to learn to use the V-25 the last week. I find torpedos hard to get used to. I'm trying to be extra careful not to hit my team. How many hits on the team are you allowed before you turn pink? I have had a few accidents along the way. One case I was aiming at an enemy coming out from behind an island when one of my team members got between him and the island, so I waited for him to move out of sight before I fired. The moment I fired he backed out and I hit him. Another time I destroyed a enemy ship which was close to one of my team and got marked for causing damage to him. I'm sure I didn't hit him. Can that happen? Can you get marked for causing damage if you run into a team member? That seemed to happen once. 

Edited by seacondor

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles
12 hours ago, seacondor said:

Thanks for your help Icy. I have been trying to learn to use the V-25 the last week. I find torpedos hard to get used to. I'm trying to be extra careful not to hit my team. How many hits on the team are you allowed before you turn pink? I have had a few accidents along the way. One case I was aiming at an enemy coming out from behind an island when one of my team members got between him and the island, so I waited for him to move out of sight before I fired. The moment I fired he backed out and I hit him. Another time I destroyed a enemy ship which was close to one of my team and got marked for causing damage to him. I'm sure I didn't hit him. Can that happen? Can you get marked for causing damage if you run into a team member? That seemed to happen once. 

Team damage is one thing that you must avoid in this game, even when you can kill an enemy, you have to refrain from that. Usually you turn instantly pink if you kill a friendly, regardless of how much damage you did to her. But you can turn pink by causing major damage in one salvo / torpedo spread as well. Its not the number of friendly ship you hit, its the accumulated HP% you caused.

Once you turn pink, and damage you do to friendly will be directly reflected back to you leaving them harmless. So, there is a high chance you are going to kill yourself.

Can you get marked for causing damage if you run into a team member? Yes. Ramming also counts as team damage, and this is very tricky if you are already pink. There are some bad players who tries to ram friendly pink ships. What happens is, he gets no damage since it is reflected back to you, and the system counts this against you (funny, eh?). So you stay far away if you spot any player with such mentality.

How long will it last? Go check the 3rd end game result tab, it shows how many games you will stay under penalty. If you cause friendly damage again while pink, this penalty will go up or not reduce in the most common case. You can pass penalized games in co-op as well.

However, the main thing is, you can always see friendly ships in minimap (please look at minimap every 5-10 seconds, this is very important and help you greatly with your positioning). So, no one will accept the excuse if you say you didn't see a friendly. Now, in the heat of battle, this may happen and only thing you can do is write a nice sorry message to your friendly member. They should also understand. This will not save you from getting penalty, but its a relieve from guilty feeling.

Dealing team damage in consecutive games can also turn you pink, getting pink repeatedly may trigger the auto ban system against you. Then it will be a lot of hassle to get your account back even if you can.

There is actually lot more into it, but I tried to simplify it without going much into numerical side. Hope this helps.

10 posts
62 battles

Thanks Icy.  Can you see yourself being pink? I haven't so far. This team hit issue is why I would have liked to have seen a training area ware you can practise gunnery and torpedos against bots only and not get kick off the game if you stuff up a lot at the beginning. Also would give you a chance to become aware of things like damage from accidental ramming of a friendly. So far I think this training area is the only thing missing from the game.

I now the early games are a bit like a training area but, I think it would be better starting in a bot only battle, so you don't upset follow players and have a chance to learn how easy it is to damage a friendly while you are learning your situation awareness. That may come to some players quickly, but other players like myself it takes time to learn it. In the older games they always had a single player part that allowed you to get better with the game before you went into multiplayer. 

Hopefully I have missed something here and there is a training area. I have noticed it being mentioned in the video but can't see it anywhere.

By the way, how do you use chat? 

I hope this question an answer chat we are having will help other new players.

Edited by seacondor

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles
2 hours ago, seacondor said:

Can you see yourself being pink?

Yes you can.

So far I think this training area is the only thing missing from the game

It is actually in the game, just not readily visible. Follow these easy steps.

By the way, how do you use chat?

Not sure what you mean by this, if you press ENTER you can type in the box seen on your left bottom part of the screen. If you hold 'B' the radial menu will come and you can just hover your mouse over to desired message and release 'B'. Or you can use the F-keys as well for quick commands. Usually these are enough and only viable option in Asia server due to language issues.

If you want to live chat for sharing ideas, and just gossiping with the community, join our subreddit discord. This is technically like the official WoWS discord. Lots of players are here, we talk here about stuffs all day long. Just click the following link, or paste it in your discord app's new server input box.

https://discord.gg/EEH8KAP

Edited by icy_phoenix

10 posts
62 battles

Thanks guys. Now I know where I'm going with most things. I'm off to the training area to solve some of my issues. However, with the black swan I don't seem to have any problems. Always a good way to boost my morale. Used the Belfast for the first time today. Ended running into a carrier in one battle and a carrier in the next. Both I was trying to position myself to give them extra AA support. Won't be doing that again until I have a better feel for the ship.