You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ellofiend

Grinding to Yamato?, yes I know, another tier 10 noob

35 comments in this topic

283 posts
3,591 battles

So I was on the PTS and I was playing Yamato, I loved it and was commonly doing in excess of 250k dmg and am thinking of aiming for it and Iowa on the live server

Now I know that you guys will be like "aww great another rushed noob playing T10" and I don't have any comment on that (well actually I do). I know I am being a bit selfish but to be honest why not have a bit of fun, plus usually if you have fun you do damage and that translates into a good game = wins so ehhh, meh.

Now after that I would like to ask the WoWs community whether you have any tips on grinding?, at the moment I have 0 Doubloons and 1 week of premium time and am currently on Kongo with Colorado and gneisenau. I do currently have school but can set aside 3-4 hrs per week day and 7-8 hrs on weekends to set aside to this one week of dedication but the question is, will this be enough?

If on average I get 1.5k per battle (with prem) I would need 670k to get Yamato so around 450 battles and that equivalents to 9000 minutes or 150 hrs and in the time I have dedicated to this projects I can achieve only 29-36?,I just figured that while typing, wow. So I would genuinely have to set aside 4-5 weeks to get this done, wow that is far more than I expected and just possible if I start now as I have 3 weeks left of school with no-assessments due and then 1 free week of holidays, hmmm.

Anyways if you had any suggestions on this matter I would appreciate it if you posted them below and thanks in advance

Edited by ellofiend

[LNA]
1,667 posts
10,498 battles

The ijn line is ez to play as all ships are very good with maybe the izumo as exception.Mark that as it is the largest obstacle to the Yamato , it is awkward , big with no turret in the back and can be very frustrating.

Also the line is interesting in that it offer both battlecruisers and battleships with very different playstyles.

Also 3 to 4 hours per day for 5 weeks will not get u yamato if u do not have a premium credit grinder as bb is the most credit expensive class and the hull module cost like 1 to 4 mil to buy. Also the playstyle or tier 8+ is camp and shoot which mean game often last as long as 20 min , lowering ur battles per session.

If u play it cheap and don t buy upgrades module ( those in the slots) u will have the most dreadful experience ever.

Premium consumables are highly recommended in tier 7+ as w/o them it is doubtful if u can last long enough.

Tl,dr: the bottleneck of the grind is not exp needed , it is credits to buy all the stuffs u need (even more so if u don t have doubloon to demount equipments)

294 posts
2,997 battles

I wanted a Yamato too once. Even came close to it with 20k to Amagi... then I took a Bismarck to my knee. Quite recently too. Now I am not sure what the future holds. Two tier 8 BB ships and big holes in my pocket with 2CA/1CV and 1DD to feed as well. :S

All I can advise you is to take it slow.

Edited by LonerPrime

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

There is nothing wrong with grinding Yamato

Go ahead

Dont let other prople opinion affect your way of thinking

Especially the comment above me

283 posts
3,591 battles

The ijn line is ez to play as all ships are very good with maybe the izumo as exception.Mark that as it is the largest obstacle to the Yamato , it is awkward , big with no turret in the back and can be very frustrating.

Also the line is interesting in that it offer both battlecruisers and battleships with very different playstyles.

Also 3 to 4 hours per day for 5 weeks will not get u yamato if u do not have a premium credit grinder as bb is the most credit expensive class and the hull module cost like 1 to 4 mil to buy. Also the playstyle or tier 8+ is camp and shoot which mean game often last as long as 20 min , lowering ur battles per session.

If u play it cheap and don t buy upgrades module ( those in the slots) u will have the most dreadful experience ever.

Premium consumables are highly recommended in tier 7+ as w/o them it is doubtful if u can last long enough.

Tl,dr: the bottleneck of the grind is not exp needed , it is credits to buy all the stuffs u need (even more so if u don t have doubloon to demount equipments)

So I take it that I should save up around 50 million then start the grinding because of hulls and upgrades and yes I know that will not be enough but I should have earnt enough credits to buy the full costs of the hulls and upgrades via battles by the time I reach Izumo / Amagi and on that note I think I will reschedule the premium week for the holidays and gradually work off the exp and credits over free time and eventually I should be able to get there by the end of the year or early next year?

Anyways,thanks for the hints and kind comments, always appreciated :)

Happy travels, elmo

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

PTS is not a good gauge of live players on this server, where cruisers all run PT and WASD shells like crazy.  Seriously just play the only relevant T10 BB the GK if you want to grind BBs.  Plus Yamato would (soon) be the least tanky BB in T10, with only the huge guns, good accuracy, and high penetration as its strong points.

[MEGA]
4,569 posts
17,570 battles

to be frank, yamato is only good against other bow on BBs, the GK and Montana are much more versatile then yamato and can reposition+ tank much better then yamato can, add to that the fact the yamato takes almost as much HE damage as izumo, and you'll realize that yamato is pretty much a one trick pony, im not saying that you shouldnt grind it, but do consider the other options before you invest a massive ammout of time and perhaps cash on a line that isnt as good as you made out to be (like how i regreted getting my yamato during my "noob" era and now the stats are shite)

455 posts
8,038 battles

to be frank, yamato is only good against other bow on BBs, the GK and Montana are much more versatile then yamato and can reposition+ tank much better then yamato can, add to that the fact the yamato takes almost as much HE damage as izumo, and you'll realize that yamato is pretty much a one trick pony, im not saying that you shouldnt grind it, but do consider the other options before you invest a massive ammout of time and perhaps cash on a line that isnt as good as you made out to be (like how i regreted getting my yamato during my "noob" era and now the stats are shite)

You are uniscum now. Go improve those stats :D

[AE]
202 posts
9,515 battles

I understand. It will take a while. Only suggestions other than the obvious money fix of free xp-ing your way through is Flags, paint, and don't upgrade any unnecessary modules. Remember to empty out and re-sell any upgraded modules in your inventory tab. I am lucky. As a mid-older employed male with a family I compare the amount it costs me to take the family to the movies compared to the amount that spending cash in this game involves, and happily free-xp my way through a load of average ships. Don't know how a cash strapped young guy could do it.

By the way young man, if you're spending 3-4 hours school days I on this game you need a spanking.

199 posts
18,023 battles

There is nothing wrong with grinding Yamato

Go ahead

Dont let other prople opinion affect your way of thinking

Especially the comment above me

:child:​ . Do you want to babysit this Yamato when he is your teammate ? You are expecting tier 10 skill player . 1 shot 1 kill . This rookie will be a burden . Furthermore, I am salty because I cannot afford a Yamato . I will remember his name so I can BBQ his Yamato in the game .
Edited by Admiralthomas

[MEGA]
4,569 posts
17,570 battles

:child:​ . Do you want to babysit this Yamato when he is your teammate ? You are expecting tier 10 skill player . 1 shot 1 kill . This rookie will be a burden . Furthermore, I am salty because I cannot afford a Yamato . I will remember his name so I can BBQ his Yamato in the game .

well better then having to babysit you i guess
Edited by drakon233

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

well better then having to babysit you i guess

exactly

you can;t even survive 2 salvo from tier 10 BB

283 posts
3,591 battles

I am not sure if that is constructive criticism or a condemnation, I will take it as both. I'd just like to say that although I am not an above average player, I consider myself to play fairly well and will not make stupid decisions such as broadside or loning off or HE/AP stuff, I know the basics to intermediate (not the AP penetration values and Krupp and stuff) so I think I could handle myself in a T10 battle considering what I have been hearing from these forums that the bots are almost as good. As for the constructive criticism, "BBQ his yamato", yes I know Battleships are a barb q and I don't really know the strategies to the repair party other then the carrier dive bomber, wait torpedo bomber strategy (also applies to destroyers). "1 shot 1 kill", well u mean detonation don't you?, otherwise you are mistaken unless I would have no-other choice or I am AFK (only if my south Australia power cuts out :) ).  "Do you want to babysit this Yamato when he is your teammate ?",to be brutally honest, I feel weak and pathetic that I am offended that you have addressed another person on this thread about my theorized inaccuracies and not directly to me, that would have been fine and although I am by far, not a seasoned player, I have achieved all of my ships (3 tier 7's and a bunch of tier 6's) except for the ognevoi by pure exp earning and I think that these comments should be aimed at P2W folks with a tier 8(s) premium ship and all other ships below tier 5.

I understand. It will take a while. Only suggestions other than the obvious money fix of free xp-ing your way through is Flags, paint, and don't upgrade any unnecessary modules. Remember to empty out and re-sell any upgraded modules in your inventory tab. I am lucky. As a mid-older employed male with a family I compare the amount it costs me to take the family to the movies compared to the amount that spending cash in this game involves, and happily free-xp my way through a load of average ships. Don't know how a cash strapped young guy could do it.

By the way young man, if you're spending 3-4 hours school days I on this game you need a spanking.

LOL, Yes, I know I spend far too much time on this game and I am ashamed of it but on the bright side, I'm doing all right in my exams and that's (unfortunately) good enough for me. I have finished all exams for the term so I can dedicate more time to the game so I don't have the hunger during exam prep time :) and I still have a full 3 weeks left! Thank you Drakon and Xscore for the factors I need to take into account, although I think it will still be my choice as I will almost have my NC by the time the Bismarck competition is finished (yay, 2 tier 8 BB's) and I really want to have all Battleships at least to tier 8 by the end of 3rd term.

Anyways, thanks for the tips and advice on my project and for the constructive criticism?

Thank you and always appreciated, Elmo

199 posts
18,023 battles

From your conversation, you don't even know the destructive power of the Yamato . Any cruiser will know, 1 salvo from a Yamato can destroy a cruiser from 20 km . Detonation is chance arranged by the server . No skill required .  Even destroyer will feared it main guns . Heck, USN battleship will feared it too . When you using Yamato, the team expect a skill player to destroy the enemies . You can call it criticism or condemnation but this is war gaming . It is brutal . Ships get destroy in this game .

[MEGA]
4,569 posts
17,570 battles

you don't even know the destructive power of the Yamato . Any cruiser will know, 1 salvo from a Yamato can destroy a cruiser from 20 km .

. When you using Yamato, the team expect a skill player to destroy the enemies
   criticism or condemnation but this is war gaming . It is brutal . Ships get destroy in this game .

that's really rich coming from the guy who dosnt even own a yamato, or even a single T10 after all this time, all battleships with spotter planes can also destroy a cruiser from 20km in one salvo, if anything yamato is the WORST T10 BB to describe "can 1shot a CA from 20km" as it's the WORST BB to deal with CAs at that tier

expect skilled.... im assuming you say this from your experience of your teammates expecting you to be not skilled and complaining? if anything players in the DM, minotaurs, montanas or non IJN DDs are expected to be "skilled" yamato players are generally considered to have the biggest chance of sniping and acting like a BBabie in general, and i'd say that anyone is a fool for trusting or expecting anything from teammates that isnt in a well known unicum clan or knows someone in the match personally

and ship get destroyed in game equals you being entitled to condemn other players over nothing  and give useless criticism how?

Edited by drakon233

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,005 battles

Izumo was my first tier 9 ship, sometimes around the mid of last year.

Now I have two T10 and almost another T9.

My IJN BB line is still at T9......

683 posts
7,367 battles

To OP,

Each tier 10 battleships has its own weak and strong points, in the end it's which ship suits your style, OR you adapt to the ship and excel in her.

Just my own experience: my first tier 10 is Hindenburg, a CA that nobody thinks she is ok when launch (yes, even poorer HE performance that time, with inconsistent AP pen) but I was passionate enough to get to her (which is important in grinding, now I have no mood to grind for another tier 10 CA)

I played her, then I find ways to make her work (though in process I become a Yamato hater due to the fact that I kept on get lol pen citadel hit from.every angle by Yamato Shells)

Up to tier 8 it's still fairly fast, after that XP requirements increased substantially, adding on the pain the fact that you will have difficulty in saving up enough credits to buy modules, hulls, etc.

You might end up frequently playing lower tier ships to gain credits (this you might want other people's opinion as I'm kinda a pay to win player :P )

All the best mate!

PS: PT server performance is not equivalent to life server performance as player base different, and a lot of people tend to try out new ships in PTS, this making themselves vulnerable.

283 posts
3,591 battles

1 From your conversation, you don't even know the destructive power of the Yamato . Any cruiser will know, 1 salvo from a Yamato can destroy a cruiser from 20 km . 2 Detonation is chance arranged by the server . No skill required . 3 Even destroyer will feared it main guns . Heck, 4 USN battleship will feared it too .5 When you using Yamato, the team expect a skill player to destroy the enemies . 6. You can call it criticism or condemnation but this is war gaming . It is brutal . Ships get destroy in this game .

1.TBH I never went through (statistic wise) why I wanted to grind the Yamato apart from the fact that I thought that 250K Dmg was good so there is nothing to base this comment off of

2. Why is this necessary?, everyone I have talked to already knows this, maybe for someone reading the forums this may be useful? Unless you are talking about what I said earlier about not being able to 1 shot kill me via citadels. That was just me saying that the only way you would 1 shot kill me was via detonation, i'm not saying that you can somehow detonate someone by shooting in some specific spot.

3. I think you mean its secondary guns as using the main guns on a destroyer is theoretically impractical and the guns would over-pen but still deal a lot of damage

4. Why wouldn't they?, please explain, I don't think I understand

5. In the perfect world you are describing, everyone would be of equal skill (unicum) but this not the case, I know the basics of the game and the only difference between me in a Yamato and a somewhat experienced player who has never been in a Yamato is still evident but not a cause for "anger", rather support for people in a new ship where they do not know how to play to the ships strengths

6. I was not sure whether it was constructive criticism or a condemning so I treated it form both perspectives in my response, it was criticism but I was not sure whether it was constructive from the attitude that yo reflected through you choice of words. I know WG is Russian and I know Russian is synonymous with brutality but why is this relevant?, I never expressed any interest in the way ships get sunk or how brutal the game is so why did you talk about that?

I do not mean this to be taken negatively, I was just justifying why I was confused with this comment and why I think that just because someone is not a beta/alpha tester or some experienced player they should not be allowed to have a Tier 10 without being, you know, harassed and embarrassed.

I hope there is no offence taken

Regards Elmo

Edited by ellofiend

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

1.TBH I never went through (statistic wise) why I wanted to grind the Yamato apart from the fact that I thought that 250K Dmg was good so there is nothing to base this comment off of

2. Why is this necessary?, everyone I have talked to already knows this, maybe for someone reading the forums this may be useful? Unless you are talking about what I said earlier about not being able to 1 shot kill me via citadels. That was just me saying that the only way you would 1 shot kill me was via detonation, i'm not saying that you can somehow detonate someone by shooting in some specific spot.

3. I think you mean its secondary guns as using the main guns on a destroyer is theoretically impractical and the guns would over-pen but still deal a lot of damage

4. Why wouldn't they?, please explain, I don't think I understand

5. In the perfect world you are describing, everyone would be of equal skill (unicum) but this not the case, I know the basics of the game and the only difference between me in a Yamato and a somewhat experienced player who has never been in a Yamato is still evident but not a cause for "anger", rather support for people in a new ship where they do not know how to play to the ships strengths

6. I was not sure whether it was constructive criticism or a condemning so I treated it form both perspectives in my response, it was criticism but I was not sure whether it was constructive from the attitude that yo reflected through you choice of words. I know WG is Russian and I know Russian is synonymous with brutality but why is this relevant?, I never expressed any interest in the way ships get sunk or how brutal the game is so why did you talk about that?

I do not mean this to be taken negatively, I was just justifying why I was confused with this comment and why I think that just because someone is not a beta/alpha tester or some experienced player they should not be allowed to have a Tier 10 without being, you know, harassed and embarrassed.

I hope there is no offence taken

Regards Elmo

dont try feeding the troll, because he is

980 posts
12,617 battles

Just take your time going up to tier 10, there are so many good ships at the lower tiers. 

Tier 10 isnt as great as people make it to be. Sure you will probably have one of the strongest ships in the game, but every time you put in an average performance or worse, you will lose credits, so you can't use tier 10 to earn money to buy other ships.  If you make a mistake, you are likely to die quickly/take a ridiculous amount of damage, and also if you make mistakes you will easily get reported by allies. 

But the biggest impediment to fun at tier 10 is that you success is so much more dependent on your teammates' skill than the lower tiers. A noob DD or noob CV on your team can really ruin your game. 

You seem like a player who genuinely wants to learn and play the game well, so I won't troll here lol :) 

460 posts
8,358 battles

The other factor you should consider is burn-out you may start to feel when you play the same ship over and over and over.

For myself I play a bit of all the ships and all the lines, having spread out my effort so thin I've only reached T8 in the three BB lines and T7 in most of the others. But having done this means I've got a variety of ships, so I can participate in pretty much any event, and I don't end up getting burnt out only grinding a single ship all the time. Downside to that is obviously I don't have the higher tier ships and high skill point captains.

There's no reason you shouldn't want to grind to the Yamato, she is legendary after all. Just take it easy and play at your own pace and eventually you'll get there. I suggest keeping a few of the lower tier ships you like as you go so you can have a change of pace every now and then when the grind gets a bit much.